User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 7.6K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @BlankCanvasDJ said: Good one, Elwood.

I admit, the jokes kinda bug me too but only because anyone who's looked at any of the other companies that Disney owns would see that that isn't what they do. They don't buy these things to "Disney-fy" them, they buy them to get access to (and money from) new, completely different markets. There's nothing Disney-fied about ESPN or Touchstone or A&E or Hollywood Records or Marvel or most other Disney subsidiaries that don't actually carry the Disney label.

I would argue that the majority of people making these jokes are fully aware of this.

• I would argue that this doesn't make them any less stupid.

Over Thanksgiving, my brother told me that Leia was now a Disney Princess and I felt an extreme urge to go bang my head on the wall. That wasn't even funny the first time, and I've heard it at least fifty from different sources.

I believe the term is "low hanging fruit". I'm only surprised that the comic didn't have Leia and Aurora having a coffee on the planet right before it got blown up.

• @Alcoremortis said: I would argue that this doesn't make them any less stupid.

Over Thanksgiving, my brother told me that Leia was now a Disney Princess and I felt an extreme urge to go bang my head on the wall. That wasn't even funny the first time, and I've heard it at least fifty from different sources.

I believe the term is "low hanging fruit". I'm only surprised that the comic didn't have Leia and Aurora having a coffee on the planet right before it got blown up.

It really doesn't matter now does it? In the larger scope of things, whether a person feels someone else is stupid or not, you both end up rotting in the same place having enjoyed the same relative amount of happiness while your neural synapses fired.

• @DAISHI said: It really doesn't matter now does it? In the larger scope of things, whether a person feels someone else is stupid or not, you both end up rotting in the same place having enjoyed the same relative amount of happiness while your neural synapses fired.

...isn't that true of literally everything?

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: ...isn't that true of literally everything?

Yes, that's why the whinefest initiated on both sides is irrelevant.

• @DAISHI said: Yes, that's why the whinefest initiated on both sides is irrelevant.

Ah, but for some of us, a whinefest is better than a winefest. It increases the average happiness of our existence, and so by Hedonistic Calculus, we should go for it. Simply because it doesn't matter in the long run doesn't mean that we need to put up with it silently.

• I would say that there are differences between complaining, whining, and bitching (mostly a matter of degree, frequency and tone).

The important thing is to strike the appropriate tone, at the appropriate time, in the appropriate setting--which I would say is more the issue with people's complaints than whether their argument is valid.

Granted, I'm probably the pot calling the kettle black....

• Side note, in case anybody couldn't tell:

I've had a really stressful day.

• Well Dashing, I'm all for this idea, but I also found that comic hilarious.

Add Comment