User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 188.5K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: No, because it wasn't really a joke at all. It was an attempt to mock. And it's not funny.

    Therefore, you fail.

    mock.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1243

  • @Chyron8472 said: No, because it wasn't really a joke at all. It was an attempt to mock. And it's not funny.


    If the attempt was to "mock" and not "make a joke", then it can hardly be blamed for not being a joke.

    And since the the fellow with an inordinate amount of pride in his imaginary friend has decided to put on big boy pants and play Mister Skeptic, it's kind of deserving of mockery.

  • Just because I have faith, it doesn't mean I can't have scientific rationale. It also doesn't mean that everything has to default to having supernatural explanations. I didn't say it wasn't a ghost; it just occurred to me that my house has shaken before due to passing aircraft, which is a perfectly reasonable explanation.

    Further, just because you're irretrievably bitter about your life, it doesn't excuse your mocking other people and throwing ill-timed temper tantrums.

  • @Rather Dashing said: You're just overly sensitive about your superstition relative to other peoples'.

    Technically, Holy Ghost is a Catholic thing. A lot of other Christian churches got rid of it along with the saints because it smacks of polytheism.

    Personally, I always thought that the Holy Ghost was a bedsheet with lots of holes when I was a kid.

  • @Alcoremortis said: Technically, Holy Ghost is a Catholic thing. A lot of other Christian churches got rid of it along with the saints because it smacks of polytheism.

    Personally, I always thought that the Holy Ghost was a bedsheet with lots of holes when I was a kid.

    On that topic, I would say the "Holy Spirit", not Holy Ghost. It isn't polytheistic though, because it's kind of like the difference between ice, steam, and water--which is to say they're the same thing which take different forms.


    (...Cue joke about how God changes shape when sufficiently heated or cooled. :P )

  • @Chyron8472 said: Just because I have faith, it doesn't mean I can't have scientific rationale. It also doesn't mean that everything has to default to having supernatural explanations.


    Believing in the supernatural and then belittling people for believing in ghosts or zombies on the basis of science is ridiculous. You're dealing in the realm of things that have equal likelihood to have any basis in something reasonably similar to reality. When you take your talking snakes, pillars of salt, and omniscient and omnipotent beings into the game, it's best not to tell other people that their ball is stupid, and then claim the high ground when somebody calls you out on it.

    @Chyron8472 said: Technically, Holy Ghost is a Catholic thing. A lot of other Christian churches got rid of it along with the saints because it smacks of polytheism.


    Most protestant churches in the US are Trinitarian. They tend to prefer to say "Holy Spirit" rather than "Ghost", but the function is still the same. Trinitarianism tends to try and bullshit its way out of polytheism by referring to the three entities as the same, or as three expressions of the same.

  • I want Steam to let me give custom names to titles in my game list. Is this really such a hard thing to do? No I tell you, it is not. And do they do it? NO. Do they not know how useful it would be? How we could organise our games better? How we could call our games silly things like 'the lamest FPS in the world' and have a chuckle when we get notices telling us our friends are playing them? Gah!

    Also, on a completely and utterly unrelated note, why is it "Lego Harry Potter" and "LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7"? Someone done gone screwed up there.

  • @Rather Dashing said: Believing in the supernatural and then belittling people for believing in ghosts or zombies on the basis of science is ridiculous.

    I didn't belittle him for believing in ghosts. I asked a serious question that I considered to be of a reasonable explanation. I said nothing of whether or not his concern was valid.


    And I didn't originally suggest this, because I knew I would get mocked for it, but since we started down that road anyway....

    @Noname: If it really is a ghost, and you pray to God for protection from it, you will be protected. No joke. Totally serious.

  • @Rather Dashing said: Most protestant churches in the US are Trinitarian. They tend to prefer to say "Holy Spirit" rather than "Ghost", but the function is still the same. Trinitarianism tends to try and bullshit its way out of polytheism by referring to the three entities as the same, or as three expressions of the same.

    Weird. I always had people telling me that I must be polytheistic most of my life. Now I wonder what church they were from.

  • @Rather Dashing said: Trinitarianism tends to try and bullshit its way out of polytheism by referring to the three entities as the same, or as three expressions of the same.

    Sure, it's bullshit to work out that an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnitemporal being who created time and space itself is probably capable of revealing Himself to us in different ways--perhaps even in more than one way simultaneously.

This discussion has been closed.