User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 5.8K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Come on... they're making old-school adventure games, drawing old school graphics and using a long-existing game engine. They're not making Skyrim... nor The Walking Dead, for that matter.

I would think the design phase should take the longest amount of time, what with writing the story, working out the individual settings, composing the music, etc.

Once it's worked out what you're going to do, actually doing it shouldn't take years with this small of scope a project, especially when the longer you take the more potential profits you lose.

• Fresh hand-drawn artwork and music probably takes a long time? Especially if the artists aren't particularly motivated? At least that's what it seems like happens with most of the fan games, they spend much of their time hoping to get finished pieces sent to them.

Of course there is a story that the music for KQ4 only took a week or so, but they had to keep getting onto the musician to keep him motivated, LOL. Following him around his house, and the town he lived in.

• So go ahead and do it then if you think it's so easy. :p You're overlooking hundreds of unforeseen complications that you can't even begin to anticipate.

• POS took just over a year to release the first episode of Cognition, didn't they? Isn't that exactly what they said they'd do?

As for IQ, we're only about 6 months out from our Kickstarter at this point, and I can personally vouch for the fact that significant work is being done daily on the project. And it's also worth mentioning that hand-painted (not just drawn) art takes just about as long as it would to make a full-size physical painting, even at low resolution, if you want it to look any good.

The only fan-turned-commercial group that is taking an inordinately long time to release games is Himalaya, and they are entirely funded out of their own pockets.

And lets also not forget that the entire budget of our game is probably less than the typical salary of one individual person working on professional industry teams like Bethesda or even Telltale.

• Yeah, I'm pretty confident that Tell Tale's King's Quest is dead. It's just not in their wheelhouse anymore. They've had great success with The Walking Dead, and I think that's propelling the company, and development, into other areas.

In fact, I'm so confident that they won't be making King's Quest, I'll give everyone who posts in this thread a free copy of Quest For Infamy next year if they're still making it.

Bt

• We'll hold you to that, lol. :D

@Lambonius said: The only fan-turned-commercial group that is taking an inordinately long time to release games is Himalaya, and they are entirely funded out of their own pockets.

I suppose that's what it is.

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

@Blackthorne519 said: In fact, I'm so confident that they won't be making King's Quest, I'll give everyone who posts in this thread a free copy of Quest For Infamy next year if they're still making it.

Bt

I'm already getting a copy through the Kickstarter, but you can't have too many. Thank you! ;)

• @Blackthorne519 said: In fact, I'm so confident that they won't be making King's Quest, I'll give everyone who posts in this thread a free copy of Quest For Infamy next year if they're still making it.

I'd like a freebie as well.

• It's true! If you've posted in this thread, and Tell Tale makes and releases King's Quest, I'll give you a copy of Quest For Infamy.

Cause it ain't gonna happen.

Bt

This discussion has been closed.