User Avatar Image

In the even of zombie apocalypse, would the president nuke the country ?

posted by Typicaljacob on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

So back in the cold war, we all made shelter right? so in the event of a zombie apocalypse wouldnt the president ( or any other vip and government officials along with military) hole up in a shelter and try to quarantine out/in the walkers with nukes? something i wondered

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Typicaljacob said: hahaha bury my topic in words :p but on the contrary, we did see a tank (which i still dont get how to the tank crews didnt make it) and an entire basecamp defending the CDC got overrun in the show in season 1. and im assuming you watched the new episode when carl goes alone and finds the new group? but carl and most of the survivors have been against the walkers for months at this point. They are trained at this point, they dont freeze up and take immediate action when taking care of walkers. Im talking in a time period between the initial outbreak and little after it, to the point that nuking cities to kill off ALOT of walkers surrounding the VIP's location is an option. Not three months after the outbreak. and does anyone know if vaccum bombs can only be deployed by aircraft? also, how do you know that the VIP's are gonna care about the other survivors? what if they dont want other survivors to come to their location? Most likely, the people who make the executive decision are not gonna want to spend more limited supplies to more people in order to re-ensure the survival of the VIP's ( this is only worst case scenario, i hope people arent like this!)

    Actually,this bunch is pretty stupid. It's like watching someone die on easy in Left 4 Dead. But see,the tank was still in one piece. So the question then is,what happened to the tank crew? Since the sheriff just sat in the tank til the zombies wandered off,it's obvious they couldn't break into the tank. One could say the tank ran out of gas,but that's not gonna happen cause the tank crew would know to get out of the zombie infested city and to some kind of refueling station well before they ran out of gas. That is,of course,if there's any zombies left after you blasted them to bits with the tank's main gun.

    No,the only way to get at that tank crew is the same way they infected everyone else. I'm guessing some kind of gas bomb that spreads a super concentrated version of the virus that infects like an airborne virus for a little while. I can't imagine any other reason they'd abandon a tank. And you'll also note that that base was over run. Indicating there were lots and lots and lots of zombies. Do you really think even a dozen zombies would get past even 5 national guard?

    In the end,the only way it's gonna work is if there's lots of zombies at the start all over,spreading the military and police thin and probably targetted at those forces. Otherwise,the army'd just surround the infected zone and kill all the zombies. Then,IF the army failed,and it'd be a big if,they'd probably nuke a single city to wipe out most of the infected,if they used nukes at all. So yeah,it'd have to be a coordinated attack.

  • @Merlynn said: Actually,this bunch is pretty stupid. It's like watching someone die on easy in Left 4 Dead. But see,the tank was still in one piece. So the question then is,what happened to the tank crew? Since the sheriff just sat in the tank til the zombies wandered off,it's obvious they couldn't break into the tank. One could say the tank ran out of gas,but that's not gonna happen cause the tank crew would know to get out of the zombie infested city and to some kind of refueling station well before they ran out of gas. That is,of course,if there's any zombies left after you blasted them to bits with the tank's main gun.

    No,the only way to get at that tank crew is the same way they infected everyone else. I'm guessing some kind of gas bomb that spreads a super concentrated version of the virus that infects like an airborne virus for a little while. I can't imagine any other reason they'd abandon a tank. And you'll also note that that base was over run. Indicating there were lots and lots and lots of zombies. Do you really think even a dozen zombies would get past even 5 national guard?

    In the end,the only way it's gonna work is if there's lots of zombies at the start all over,spreading the military and police thin and probably targetted at those forces. Otherwise,the army'd just surround the infected zone and kill all the zombies. Then,IF the army failed,and it'd be a big if,they'd probably nuke a single city to wipe out most of the infected,if they used nukes at all. So yeah,it'd have to be a coordinated attack.

    Uh, you're overthinking it. It's just bad writing.

  • @Merlynn said: Actually,this bunch is pretty stupid. It's like watching someone die on easy in Left 4 Dead. But see,the tank was still in one piece. So the question then is,what happened to the tank crew? Since the sheriff just sat in the tank til the zombies wandered off,it's obvious they couldn't break into the tank. One could say the tank ran out of gas,but that's not gonna happen cause the tank crew would know to get out of the zombie infested city and to some kind of refueling station well before they ran out of gas. That is,of course,if there's any zombies left after you blasted them to bits with the tank's main gun.

    No,the only way to get at that tank crew is the same way they infected everyone else. I'm guessing some kind of gas bomb that spreads a super concentrated version of the virus that infects like an airborne virus for a little while. I can't imagine any other reason they'd abandon a tank. And you'll also note that that base was over run. Indicating there were lots and lots and lots of zombies. Do you really think even a dozen zombies would get past even 5 national guard?

    In the end,the only way it's gonna work is if there's lots of zombies at the start all over,spreading the military and police thin and probably targetted at those forces. Otherwise,the army'd just surround the infected zone and kill all the zombies. Then,IF the army failed,and it'd be a big if,they'd probably nuke a single city to wipe out most of the infected,if they used nukes at all. So yeah,it'd have to be a coordinated attack.


    well, (in just some of the observations i have made) some people in movies ( yes, i know its hollywood) also stay with bite victims, denying themselves that theyll turn, kinda like kenny. You know what im saying? maybe a tank crew member, possibly a machine gunner at the top got bit and said he was fine and the crew just let it go although consciously thinking about it too and thats how they all died.. i mean, soldiers got feelings too. and maybe one of them shot an infected personnel and the other thought it was unnecessary friendly fire and everyone turned against each other.. thoughts on this speculation? but i do agree with the thought that the military wouldnt be overrun unless the numbers were way overwhelming, which i imagined what happened at the CDC.

  • Aeons: Sometimes filling in plot holes can lead to much better story elements than the author intended. So it's always good to take a long look at bad writing and think "How can we make this work?"

    Jake: I kind of doubt anyone's going to expose themselves like that for no reason. And when dealing with zombies,it's best to keep the inches of steel armor between you and them. So while that tank crew might've gotten killed,I can't imagine the tank would remain unclaimed for long. If nothing else,you'd heli in another crew to retake it.

    But the fact the tank was abandoned is proof enough that the military was stretched to thin,even to recover a valuable resource like that.

  • @Merlynn said:
    Jake: I kind of doubt anyone's going to expose themselves like that for no reason. And when dealing with zombies,it's best to keep the inches of steel armor between you and them. So while that tank crew might've gotten killed,I can't imagine the tank would remain unclaimed for long. If nothing else,you'd heli in another crew to retake it.

    But the fact the tank was abandoned is proof enough that the military was stretched to thin,even to recover a valuable resource like that.

    To heli in another crew is suicide! but i do agree about the military being stretched thin

  • Umm a nuke ? Best idea the most things will turn into million pieces includes zombies and humans so just bring zombies together with a big noise shit and BOOM :) the most zombies will die and after that just search for alive zombies with a thermal scope shit and a helicopter :) First nuke Australia and then bring the most saved people to there no zombie will reach there because of the waters around of it. Good plan isnt it ?

  • What if the radiation made them smart? Huh? I read a book set in a ZA (not related to TWD) called Day by Day Armageddon (which I really reccomend, along with its sequel) in which the US government decides to nuke the largest cities in the country early on (about two months after the virus first arrived in the US) but the dead weren't even really phased by it. In fact, later on in the book the main character writes about some of the dead getting faster, not really running, but they're moving faster than their usual shuffle. Plus, the irradiated zombies are, well, irradiated. They wander around contaminating areas, especially the larger irradiated herds that wander the countryside.

    So even though the dead won't get smarter or faster (hopefully), they'll still be radioactive and contaminating anything they touch. They don't have to worry about radiation sickness, or cancer, or tumors, but the surrvivors that go up against them will. Unless the zombies are the ones from 28 Days later, or Left 4 Dead, the nukes would just make things even WORSE.

  • @Merlynn said: Aeons: Sometimes filling in plot holes can lead to much better story elements than the author intended. So it's always good to take a long look at bad writing and think "How can we make this work?

    I can agree with that. Though depending on the source, that's either done later or never done and you're better off with head canon. As far as the Walking Dead show goes, guess away.

  • According to the ultimate science source (I am, of course, referring to comic books) all the zombies would get superpowers and we'd be fucked.

  • Nukes are the most useless weapons ever. For TWD zombies, normal soldiers are fine. For 28 Days Later/L4D nerve gases or napalm should do the trick.

Add Comment