User Avatar Image

2012 VGA's

posted by Icedhope on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I have created this thread for those of us who will be watching the VGA's have a chance to discuss the nominee's, the awards, and overall everything we thought about the show.

127 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Giant Tope said: ...???

Okay, so when presented with a screen in Meatboy, you don't think in the slightest about what you're going to do and then progressively tweak what you're doing until you've finally beat a level? Is this somehow easier than the Walking Dead? I haven't played the game, but I'm genuinely confused here. :confused:

And while I think it's great that the team got to celebrate a victory (they all seemed pretty happy), it IS the vgas and therefore the victory feels significantly more mild to me.

when presented with a level on Super Meat Boy you basically instantly know what to do (obviously some thought is required but that part is easy) the game is about making fiddly reaction based moves to finish the level, in my opinion that doesnt make a game dificult just fiddly, and i didn't say it was easier than TWD, i said "you can describe a game as hard or easy depending on how you look at it" and the way i look at Super Meat Boy is that it is an easy game with an irritating control system

• @Giant Tope said: While I think difficulty doesn't make a game, I think to each their own on whether the game is fun or not. I have yet to beat the game, but I still really enjoy it. I find the challenge fun.

Exactly. It's a to each their own kind of thing. Heck, the Force Unleashed games are some of the easiest I've ever played, and I still enjoyed them. Skyward Sword is my favorite of the Zelda series, and yet it isn't that overly difficult.

• @thestalkinghead said: and the way i look at Super Meat Boy is that it is an easy game with an irritating control system

You can bash anything in SMB as long as you like but the controls are the best the genre has to offer. Name even one platformer with better controls.
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of They Bleed Pixels?

• @der_ketzer said: You can bash anything in SMB as long as you like but the controls are the best the genre has to offer. Name even one platformer with better controls.
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of They Bleed Pixels?

they are both irritating to me, it's not SMB specific, i find almost every platformer irritating

• @GaryCXJk said:
    3) It was either this game or Journey. Which one would you prefer then? Journey? Really? Oh, okay then.

Journey is a beautiful game and I would have been quite fine with it if it had won.

tumblr_mebvs39jgd1r73n19o1_500.gif@GaryCXJk said: when presented with a level on Super Meat Boy you basically instantly know what to do (obviously some thought is required but that part is easy) the game is about making fiddly reaction based moves to finish the level, in my opinion that doesnt make a game dificult just fiddly, and i didn't say it was easier than TWD, i said "you can describe a game as hard or easy depending on how you look at it" and the way i look at Super Meat Boy is that it is an easy game with an irritating control system

That's not true. No amount of different controls would make the levels any easier, because they're specifically tailored to the controls. The level design is 80% of the difficulty in SMB. Also, these shits at the VGAs couldn't even get Gabe Newell's name right.

E0YGW.jpg

• @thestalkinghead said: they are both irritating to me, it's not SMB specific, i find almost every platformer irritating

How about Dungeons of Dredmor, then? Half the achievements are about dying in interesting ways. Because you die. A lot.

And it's turn-based, so tons of time for thought.

• I didn't know Garry Newman looked a lot like Gabe Newell.

• @Alcoremortis said: How about Dungeons of Dredmor, then? Half the achievements are about dying in interesting ways. Because you die. A lot.

And it's turn-based, so tons of time for thought.

He'd just say it's random. Which it is. But he wouldn't know that the difficulty does not com from the randomness but from the game being out to murder you horribly. :cool:

• @Secret Fawful said: Journey is a beautiful game and I would have been quite fine with it if it had won.

tumblr_mebvs39jgd1r73n19o1_500.gif

Agreed. What I've seen and played, it's a fantastic looking game. Still, I won't be one of those that says "This award means nothing" just because it's the VGAs. The fact that a smaller studio won that award does mean something. Heck, the fact that Journey was nominated means something.

• @der_ketzer said: He'd just say it's random. Which it is. But he wouldn't know that the difficulty does not com from the randomness but from the game being out to murder you horribly. :cool:

I know. I had a nearly perfect run in terms of best equipment, best mix of skills, etc... breezed through nearly every level... and Dredmor still killed me at the end. Repeatedly.

Add Comment