User Avatar Image

Blog: Does Walking Dead really tailor itself to your actions?

posted by The13thRonin on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Telltale's the Walking Dead... Where your decisions matter... Except when they don't... All of the time...

Don't get me wrong, a brilliant emotional journey but one without any kind of consequences for your choices at all.

Save Carly? She dies anyway. Save Doug? He dies anyway. Steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. Don't steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome... Its flavour text...

I figured that we would at least get some pay-off from the epilogue... I feel kind of dissapointed.

I hope that season 2 maintains the same great level of story-telling but actually makes the choices have proper game-changing consequences.

I would not complain if you had not given me such high hopes :p. Season one was good but I hope season two is great.

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sorry the comic book style graphics in a game based on a series of comics weren't too your liking and I'm also sorry a point and click adventure game was too point and click for you. Maybe you should just stop playing Telltale games since you apparently can't handle your RDA of Awesome and go play the Land of the Dead Xbox game.

• it won due to outstanding storytelling, voiceacting and characters.
    If you are the average Call of Duty FPS bam bam player sure you won't like it. Graphics? They are fine. Not exceptional but the style works very well. Decisions I agree they could be more profound but everything else in your post is nonsense.

• Sorry sir, but you are retarded. Nothing more to say.

• We live in a gaming era where game developers can create photo-realistic graphics in games. It wasn't a matter of "artistic" value that the game was done in a comic like fashion. It was done because the TellTale games crew don't have the talent and manpower to create them. And with the limited range of view and lack of y-axis in general, it should have been easy for any other game developer.

The game has too many plot holes to cover, and the campaign can last the average gamer around 10 hours, if that.

I also don't want to argue AGAIN about the story, but between it's plot holes and lack of weight in choices that it doesn't deserve the award. Does this game really match up with Adventure caliber of Skyrim? Or the story-telling genius of the Assassin's Creed series? Both of which required much, much more work, people, time to make.

• @FAVREFAN said: A point and click comic book novel won a Game Award.

Exactly what can you change? In the end, Lee dies, Ben dies, Kenny dies, Lily dies, Katjaa dies, Duck gets bit, Duck dies, etc. etc. etc.

one thing
    you play as lee as human not superman so people get killed

like or not just accept what happen you can't control everything happen this's TWD

and lilly she did't die
    btw TWD deserve GOTY
    sorry for bad English

• Um... it won because.. real people wanted it to win... plain and simple...
    It may be a one off.. and a game like it may never win again.. but right now.. THIS is what gamers felt they wanted in a game of the year... I have not always liked every game of the year..

I personally like that it won.. it shows the industry that adventure games are not a dead genre, and you do not have to have a massive budget to make worthwhile games... and they do not have to cost the consumer $60 to buy.

I do not think this will change the game industry.. but it MIGHT change the way the industry looks at adventure games and its fans.

• @FAVREFAN said: We live in a gaming era where game developers can create photo-realistic graphics in games... Does this game really match up with Adventure caliber of Skyrim? Or the story-telling genius of the Assassin's Creed series? Both of which required much, much more work, people, time to make.

You are entitled to your opinion, however you can't possibly be expecting anyone here to really support it, which essentially makes you a troll. Happy gaming... elsewhere.

• @Cyreen said: You are entitled to your opinion, however you can't possibly be expecting anyone here to really support it, which essentially makes you a troll. Happy gaming... elsewhere.

If you honestly cannot support that Skyrim had a superior Adventure experience and a better storyline than Assassin's Creed, I rest my case.

Also, your definition of a troll is slightly skewed.

• @FAVREFAN said: A point and click comic book novel won a Game Award.

The saving grace of the game was it's impeccable storyline, and it's advertising tactics. I can bitch and moan about how bad the graphics are, but that speaks for itself. Instead I'll go over the "Game is tailored to how you play" layout that The Walking Dead promoted.

Exactly what can you change? In the end, Lee dies, Ben dies, Kenny dies, Lily dies, Katjaa dies, Duck gets bit, Duck dies, etc. etc. etc.

I enjoyed The Walking Dead, but it frustrated me because the in-game decisions held no real weight. In episode 4, when the characters made the descision to go with you to find Vernon or not seemed like it was going to finally going to show the way you treated the characters, when in actuality, you go right back to the rest of the crew, regardless.

Awful choice for GOTY. A game with and 8/10 story, 3/10 graphics, and using a point and click system on a console is an abomination to contend. I enjoyed it, but in no way does it win over Halo4(which was also a dissapointment), or Far Cry 3.

My friend make some changes in your life. Dont rate a game because of the story or the graphics.I've played Modern Warfare 1,2,3 Black ops 1,2 battlefield and A LOT of other games. But they still cant match against Mario that i've played on the n64. The real Question is which game did you enjoyed the most? not which game has the best graphics or story line.

Have bad English :)

• Thats the thing about these sorts of things... most of the arguments are valid... those AAA titles DID have the things you mention... but it also didnt have the episodic release.. we spent ALOT of time thinking about these characters.. growing attached..

Game of the Year is just a snapshot of what the gamers liked at that moment.. and for whatever reason/reasons they liked Walking Dead.. doesnt mean it was better or worse than those other games.. it just means that for personal or notso personal reasons the gamers felt a connection with the game and wanted to see it win awards.

I would be saying the same thing if any of the other games had won... you really can not point to one thing and say... "AHAAA! THIS is the reason it won"

Its like "best Picture" in movies.. there have been a TON of movies that have won and I went "huh... well I didnt dig it" But its like they say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

Just because I do not get it.. doesnt mean its not worthwhile to everyone else.

Add Comment