User Avatar Image

2012 VGA's

posted by Icedhope on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

I have created this thread for those of us who will be watching the VGA's have a chance to discuss the nominee's, the awards, and overall everything we thought about the show.

127 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thestalkinghead said: TWD is not a puzzle game, i to enjoy the old school point and click adventure games, but that is not what TWD is, the "challenge" in the game is the moral choices made and the personal relationships that can be formed by the choices you make and the things you say, if there were hard puzzles in TWD it would break the reality that is created by the brilliant story telling and acting that the game has, and also some arbitrary choice at the end of the game of red, blue or green would just ruin it, in my opinion that isn't what "choose your own ending" should mean, if you are going to affect the ending it should be multiple choices throughout the game that change it, not one choice at the end.

Yes, I see that. What I'm trying to say is that TTG pretty much made a visual choose-your-own-adventure novel and got more money than ever compared to any of their original adventure games. Why would they want to go back to Sam and Max or something when they can make twice as much money with TWD?

• @RingmasterJ5 said: Yes, I see that. What I'm trying to say is that TTG pretty much made a visual choose-your-own-adventure novel and got more money than ever compared to any of their original adventure games. Why would they want to go back to Sam and Max or something when they can make twice as much money with TWD?

i get what you mean, hopefully the money they made can mean that it wont be a trade of one game for the other, hopefully they can make both

• @thestalkinghead said: i own both FTL and Dungeons of Dredmor on steam and i have played FTL for just over 37 hours (i enjoy problem solving and planning) but only just over 2 hours into Dungeons of Dredmor and i don know if i would count all the deaths in Dungeons of Dredmor as making it hard because you are expected to die, i prefer a normal RPG over rouglikes where you are expected to compete the game but they make it hard (in my opinion) like baldur's gate

This is preferences. I loved Baldur's Gate as well, mainly due to needing to strategize to get past any battle, but I feel Dungeons of Dredmor is very similar in scope. My most recent character I spent a lot of time trying to figure out skills that would complement each other well and allow this character to succeed in all the ways the dungeon demands and then level up the skills in a way that would be beneficial to completing the dungeon (get the defense up first and then start working on the offense). This character made it to level 15, whereas my previous best attempt only made it to level 9.

It's the same with Legend of Grimrock. I spent a lot of time figuring out how I was going to structure my group so that I'd have balance and versatility.

I would agree that certain types of games have gone downhill. RTS in particular. Starcraft II is pretty much the only big RTS that's been released recently and the campaign was super easy, especially compared to the original. But I think it was because of the emphasis on the multi-player.

• @thestalkinghead said: i get what you mean, hopefully the money they made can mean that it wont be a trade of one game for the other, hopefully they can make both

Why would they want to, though? The reality is that TWD has MANY times the fanbase as Sam and Max does, so why would they bring out a game that would likely cost about the same to make but get them less than half of what TWD made?

• @thestalkinghead said: the "challenge" in the game is the moral choices made

In the end the moral choices don't matter as much as you are making it out to be. I liked the way TWD adjusted to me, little things characters remembered etc. But you still got through the game no matter what you did as long as you didn't fail the QTEs that you can win (in Episode 5 there are some you aren't supposed to win and that you cannot win).
    I think the most challenging QTE was at the end of Episode 2 because you really need to be fast or die. But then again you restart just a few seconds before that.

• @RingmasterJ5 said: Why would they want to, though? The reality is that TWD has MANY times the fanbase as Sam and Max does, so why would they bring out a game that would likely cost about the same to make but get them less than half of what TWD made?

i couldn't even come close to answering that, i don't know how their business is set up or the desires of the people who work there or whether it would be possible for them to work on two games, i guess we will find out

@RingmasterJ5 said: In the end the moral choices don't matter as much as you are making it out to be. I liked the way TWD adjusted to me, little things characters remembered etc. But you still got through the game no matter what you did as long as you didn't fail the QTEs that you can win (in Episode 5 there are some you aren't supposed to win and that you cannot win).
    I think the most challenging QTE was at the end of Episode 2 because you really need to be fast or die. But then again you restart just a few seconds before that.

the QTE's aren't supposed to be hard just add to the immersion, there is no win or loose condition in TWD, and morality is a personal thing that affects the way you feel, sure the game is reasonably linear but the impact it has on you can change depending on how you play the game, if you want high scores or a win and loose condition TWD is not the game for you

• @Alcoremortis said: Starcraft II is pretty much the only big RTS that's been released recently and the campaign was super easy, especially compared to the original.

The campaign is as easy as you make it. If you are not trained in RTS and want to get all the achievements for a mission before you move on you will get stuck pretty soon.
    If you set it to a low difficulty and blitz through it just to get your bullshit ending (and yes it is bullshit to sell you the next full price campaign) then it will be just that. The game has several skill levels. If you think it's easy on highest settings well okay. I think it's impossible.:D

• @RingmasterJ5 said: Why would they want to go back to Sam and Max or something when they can make twice as much money with TWD?

Devil's Playhouse, from the beginning when it was released, always felt like it was a final sendoff to TTG's old adventure fans. They even changed the game mechanics quite a bit. Perhaps in an effort to warm those fans up to what was coming? I don't think we'll see anything like that again, anyway. I doubt we'll be seeing another Sam & Max. At least not in the near future. And by near future I mean 5-10 years or something. If ever.

Perhaps another adventure developer will cut a deal with Purcell for a new Sam & Max adventure game.

• @der_ketzer said: The campaign is as easy as you make it. If you are not trained in RTS and want to get all the achievements for a mission before you move on you will get stuck pretty soon.
    If you set it to a low difficulty and blitz through it just to get your bullshit ending (and yes it is bullshit to sell you the next full price campaign) then it will be just that. The game has several skill levels. If you think it's easy on highest settings well okay. I think it's impossible.:D

I set it to something in the middle (can't remember what the settings were) when I first tried it and didn't have time to try any other settings, but I guess my real issue here is that the original Starcraft didn't have difficulty settings. It just had a campaign that was tailored to start out at a lower setting to teach you the basics and then ramp up into seemingly impossible challenges by the end. And I would have preferred that. I don't like having to guess at what level of player I am. I could have started at the highest setting and worked my way down

One of my favorite RTS games, Age of Empires II, had an easy setting the equivalent of most moderate or difficult settings in other strategy games. I never beat that game until a few years ago, when I tried to give it another shot now that I kinda understood how strategy actually worked... and even then there was a level that I only beat by the skin of my teeth.

Easy has turned from a setting that slowly ramps up over time to handholding. And at a certain point, the difficult difficulty settings cease to be about whether you are analyzing your situation correctly and more about how many hotkeys you have memorized and how fast you can hit them. I honestly don't play often enough for that.

I guess what I really wanted was a "the campaign was designed to play at this setting" button and then options to make it harder or easier if you needed it.

• Well the problem here is clearly that they want you to see the end so they can sell you the next 2 parts of the story for 60$ each. If you never see the end why would you buy the next game.
    Age Of Empires 2 didn't care because it was a complete game on it's own (with the greatest RTS-campaigns I've ever seen).

Add Comment