User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Once it's worked out what you're going to do, actually doing it shouldn't take years with this small of scope a project, especially when the longer you take the more potential profits you lose.

It doesn't work like that, EVEN with a small-scoped project. Tons of stuff change a lot mid-development. Even if you spend a year in pre-production, planning everything perfectly out... The end result would still be greatly different.

• It's never as easy as you think it's going to be, there's definitely far more involved than what you're thinking, and trust me, we are ALL aware of time = money!

And yes, it was almost exactly a year between launching the Kickstarter for Cognition & releasing Episode 1, nearly to the day in fact. :)

Of course, as long as we come in under 8 years of development time, we'll still be beating our time spent making TSL Episode 1, so I think we're good there. ;)

• @Blackthorne519 said: Yeah, I'm pretty confident that Tell Tale's King's Quest is dead. It's just not in their wheelhouse anymore.

A couple of years ago nobody would have said a game like The Walking Dead was in Telltale's wheelhouse and yet they pulled that one out of the bag. Just because they haven't made a game like King's Quest in a while doesn't necessarily mean they can't. Only time will tell.

• @Woodsyblue said: A couple of years ago nobody would have said a game like The Walking Dead was in Telltale's wheelhouse and yet they pulled that one out of the bag. Just because they haven't made a game like King's Quest in a while doesn't necessarily mean they can't. Only time will tell.

It's just not their concern any more. Honestly, it's a project better left to a smaller studio - the audience isn't big enough for what Tell Tale does now.

Bt

• So I'm taking it that King's Quest is a no go? A few months ago, I could have sworn that TT was working on KQ from their Twitter bio. Looks like any mention of the game is removed and only Fables is there now.

• @Blackthorne519 said: In fact, I'm so confident that they won't be making King's Quest, I'll give everyone who posts in this thread a free copy of Quest For Infamy next year if they're still making it.

Wow. This is the kind of post people really end up regretting that they posted a few months after they posted it.

On the other hand, I missed out on the Quest for Infamy Kickstarter when it was running. So I'm looking forward to getting my free copy. Thanks!

• @Blackthorne519 said: It's just not their concern any more. Honestly, it's a project better left to a smaller studio - the audience isn't big enough for what Tell Tale does now.

Telltale are moving into a bigger office so we can safely assume that they'll be able to go back to tackling more than one project at a time. It's always possible that a main team works on the bigger budget games like TWD and BttF second seasons while a smaller team work on the more niche titles like Fables and King's Quest.

Just a thought.

• @magodesky said: Wow. This is the kind of post people really end up regretting that they posted a few months after they posted it.

On the other hand, I missed out on the Quest for Infamy Kickstarter when it was running. So I'm looking forward to getting my free copy. Thanks!

I don't think so. But, hey, if I do - I know you'll enjoy QFI and if I'm wrong, I'll gladly give you a copy!!

Bt

This discussion has been closed.