User Avatar Image

2012 VGA's

posted by Icedhope on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I have created this thread for those of us who will be watching the VGA's have a chance to discuss the nominee's, the awards, and overall everything we thought about the show.

127 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @RingmasterJ5 said: Why would they want to go back to Sam and Max or something when they can make twice as much money with TWD?

Devil's Playhouse, from the beginning when it was released, always felt like it was a final sendoff to TTG's old adventure fans. They even changed the game mechanics quite a bit. Perhaps in an effort to warm those fans up to what was coming? I don't think we'll see anything like that again, anyway. I doubt we'll be seeing another Sam & Max. At least not in the near future. And by near future I mean 5-10 years or something. If ever.

Perhaps another adventure developer will cut a deal with Purcell for a new Sam & Max adventure game.

• @der_ketzer said: The campaign is as easy as you make it. If you are not trained in RTS and want to get all the achievements for a mission before you move on you will get stuck pretty soon.
    If you set it to a low difficulty and blitz through it just to get your bullshit ending (and yes it is bullshit to sell you the next full price campaign) then it will be just that. The game has several skill levels. If you think it's easy on highest settings well okay. I think it's impossible.:D

I set it to something in the middle (can't remember what the settings were) when I first tried it and didn't have time to try any other settings, but I guess my real issue here is that the original Starcraft didn't have difficulty settings. It just had a campaign that was tailored to start out at a lower setting to teach you the basics and then ramp up into seemingly impossible challenges by the end. And I would have preferred that. I don't like having to guess at what level of player I am. I could have started at the highest setting and worked my way down

One of my favorite RTS games, Age of Empires II, had an easy setting the equivalent of most moderate or difficult settings in other strategy games. I never beat that game until a few years ago, when I tried to give it another shot now that I kinda understood how strategy actually worked... and even then there was a level that I only beat by the skin of my teeth.

Easy has turned from a setting that slowly ramps up over time to handholding. And at a certain point, the difficult difficulty settings cease to be about whether you are analyzing your situation correctly and more about how many hotkeys you have memorized and how fast you can hit them. I honestly don't play often enough for that.

I guess what I really wanted was a "the campaign was designed to play at this setting" button and then options to make it harder or easier if you needed it.

• Well the problem here is clearly that they want you to see the end so they can sell you the next 2 parts of the story for 60$ each. If you never see the end why would you buy the next game.
    Age Of Empires 2 didn't care because it was a complete game on it's own (with the greatest RTS-campaigns I've ever seen).

• Just wondering but does this not mean that now a game of the year edition of TWD is coming?

• It just means they can make one if they want to.

• @Shadowknight1 said: ME3?! That's not an adaptation.

oops. I thought they meant as in adapted game play. In that case TWD must have been the only game up for an award cause I don't think any of the other games were adapted from a book, show, or movie.

• @Hazevamp said: oops. I thought they meant as in adapted game play. In that case TWD must have been the only game up for an award cause I don't think any of the other games were adapted from a book, show, or movie.

The nominees were:
    Best Adapted Video Game

Disney Epic Mickey 2
    LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
    *The Walking Dead*
    Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

• - Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Two: Having played a good few hours of it I think it's a massive step back from the first one. Only good thing about it is the fact you can play it on the PS3 with the Move, so it's like a hi-res Wii version.

- Lego World's Finest: Same old style of levels from the first game with an absolutely horrendous open-world hub that has so little to do it hurts. It's basically just another level with nothing but collectables.

- The Walking Dead: Less a game, more of an interactive story. But jeez, what a story.

- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: Meh.

Not hard to see why TWD won. The others were all sequels... and not particularly great ones at that.

• User Avatar Image
    DPB

@ryannumber1gamer said: Just wondering but does this not mean that now a game of the year edition of TWD is coming?

They could've called it that if they wanted to anyway, it's just a marketing label. Dead Island was re-released as a GOTY edition and that got mostly average reviews.

Add Comment