User Avatar Image

Alot of "GAMERS" are complaining that The Walking Dead won GOTY

posted by DatDude on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Alot of forums like Neogaf, and N4G are whining and complaining how the walking dead won goty, saying, quote "it's not even a game", and silly comments like a downloable shouldn't be considered on the same level as a big budget game like halo 4.

A bunch of nonsense, and a bunch of "BAH, Walking Dead shouldn't have won goty" from ALOT of people who've never even touched the game.

Quite sad really. :(

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Let them be butt hurt. They are worstening themselves by being ignorant.

• These people have unrealistic expectations as to what can be done with a game. Sure in an ideal world it would be great if every branching decision in a game effectively generated a whole new universe of play, but that's just not feasible.

• @kadayi said: These people have unrealistic expectations as to what can be done with a game. Sure in an ideal world it would be great if every branching decision in a game effectively generated a whole new universe of play, but that's just not feasible.

Heavy Rain Choices do matters thats why there are 8 different endings.

• @KingOfTheDead said: Heavy Rain Choices do matters thats why there are 8 different endings.

But TT isn't the developers of Heavy Rain. They aren't even close to their size.

• @DanJ555 said: But TT isn't the developers of Heavy Rain. They aren't even close to their size.

still choices matter here

• My question is what did these complainers want to win?

All of the other nominees are great games and I would not have been disappointed if any of them won, but they were all "been there, done that."

For game INNOVATION, Walking Dead takes it. A game that wraps you up in the emotional (and physical) welfare of characters, makes you second guess what you should have done (more than just shooting or committing an action before the bad guy has "got ya"), something that really gets you to ponder the ramifications of your choices even if the divergence of the storyline is an illusion...

Maybe I'm a bit biased. I like story in my gaming and WD is ALL story. I also like to see Goliath get beaten by David in the gaming industry. This game winning GOTY satisfied both for me.

• @KingOfTheDead said: Heavy Rain Choices do matters thats why there are 8 different endings.

Actually there's 9.

I got the "we're not making it for PC so enjoy this middle finger! hahaha!" ending.

• But most importantly. The majority of the gamers finds TWD to be worthy of the GOTY award, despite it being a point and click game. Which in my eyes is a genre that's not that popular any more.

Several months ago I looked at the gameplay of this game and thought it looked bad. Now I'd say this is the best game I've ever played. TWD taught me and hopefully everyone that characters and story, if done good, can completely turn a simple game in terms of interactivity to something so very very special.

• When people bitch about what wins GOTY its because there game didn't win

• Well, I won't complain about TWD getting a GOTY award but I also can't deny its flaws - most of the choices don't really matter, in the end it's all about branching dialogues, characters exchanged (Doug/Carley) and some cut-scenes altered. The overall gist is always the same and as people already said - Heavy Rain does the evolving plot thingy a lot better.

The puzzles are non-existent and what stays at the end is the terribly good story. Just for coming up with a serious and adult plot this game deserves the GOTY. Gaming is full of childish stories (warrior/whatever against evil/nazis/whatever) it's understandable that it's still not taken as serious as movies or books. TWD goes beyond the stupidness and shallowness of ordinary games - that's why I think it's important it got the GOTY award.

I really hope that the next season improves on really making your decisions matter and not just letting us feel that they do. Or maybe some harder puzzles, just something which makes this more like a real game.

Add Comment