User Avatar Image

Which choices change things drastically? (EP 5 SPOILERS GALORE)

posted by aguyuno on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

So I've finished episode 5, but I had some q's about how different certain things are if I had chosen differently. So could I ask for people who HAVE played this way to answer some of them?

1) If you didn't save Ben at the clocktower, does Kenny ultimately end up living? Or does he still manage to die? Also, if you REALLY lose your temper with him, is it possible to like bash his head in with that marble statue instead of just throw it and have Omid deliver his best line of the series ("...Dude you totally wrecked that guy's face")?

2) If you send Omid/Christa AFTER you on that sign you cross, do either of them end up falling/dying? Or do they always survive beyond the end?

3) If you didn't kill the st. johns (I did), or help kill Larry (I did), or abandon Lily (I did) or, most importantly, help steal that guy's shit... does he end up being less angry with you? Or is it even someone else? Or is he still a raging psychopath?

4) If you go ALONE for the first part of the game, when you come back do you instead find like a whole bunch of bodies from Vernon and crew, or do they always steal your shit?

I think I had some more q's, but I forget them so this will do for now. Any answers will do :). Oh, and also, was that zombie in the hotel supposed to be Molly? Asking because you DO see an Andrea zombie at one point and yeah.

And also, how come Christa barely reacts when Lee calls her on being pregnant? She and Omid aren't surprised at ALL that he knows... even though she makes it pretty obvious, it's still weird.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @XTheFirestarterX said: I"m getting sick and tired of every single thread ending up with people discussing issues and complaints about the game! It's disrespectful... we answered this guys questions - so leave it...

People will discuss whatever they want man.If something has bugged them, you can just arm bar them and tell them to focus on something else just coz you are "sick and tired", go look elsewhere if it bothers you so much.

• Short answer to this topic is no choice matters. You cannot alter the story or save/kill anybody different from what is pre-written.

• @Super H4ns said: If you go it alone is there nobody there for the first part of your chapter 5 playthrough? And do you still have the option to cut your arm off? Plus, did anyone else feel that this episode was much shorter than the previous ones?

I think nobody answered that one. Yep, you're alone from the beginning, to the point where you get back the group in the shack.
    And yes, you're allowed to cut your arm yourself... Didn't do it with a team, but I'm thinking it's waaay more traumatizing that way (alone).

• While this product fits the definitions of 'tailor', its still more of a marketing term then anything. The story in and of itself is not tailored - it's kind of like watching Dr. Who ramble about fixed points in time. The story is fixed, and we all came in looking for something a little more sandbox. That's how the hype seemed to me.

Still, I'm a fan of adventure games(The REALLY old ones, from the infocom text adventures all the way through the Sierra Online ages), and those games offer a nice complete story as well. The tailoring part just seems to be a bit of a kick in the groin when compared to the awesome story.

It's a whole part of writing: You want the reader to get to your destination thinking they have gone on their own free will, and you adjust minutely. The problem here is that the adjustments weren't minute, they were like a first time DM. As the player, instead of being coaxed in the right direction through reward, you were railroaded on the right track and beat senseless until you followed the direction you needed to take.

Either offer freedom, and it's true consequence, or don't offer it at all. Faux freedom doesn't cut it.

• I knew it was the end when Ben refused to pull the Boat down to the boat ramp.

• The thing I'm struggling with is....does everyone in your party except omid and christa have to die? That is frustrating because that takes all the choices you had made up until then pointless. Who cares how everyone perceives you, they all have to die at certain spots even if it doesn't really make sense. At least in mass effect 2 you had some effect on which characters lived and which died, how many characters, how your relationships played into that. All of the changes on this are cosmetic (doesn't matter who you pick. Doug/Carley HAVE to get randomly shot in the face by lily who HAS to go batshit crazy). I guess for something winning so many game of the year awards I expected a lot more depth.

• @M1L0 said: The thing I'm struggling with is....does everyone in your party except omid and christa have to die? That is frustrating because that takes all the choices you had made up until then pointless. Who cares how everyone perceives you, they all have to die at certain spots even if it doesn't really make sense. At least in mass effect 2 you had some effect on which characters lived and which died, how many characters, how your relationships played into that. All of the changes on this are cosmetic (doesn't matter who you pick. Doug/Carley HAVE to get randomly shot in the face by lily who HAS to go batshit crazy). I guess for something winning so many game of the year awards I expected a lot more depth.

in mass effect 2 you had to be pure renegade or pure paragon to get everybody to survive therefore making the choices of paragon/renegade and relationships meaningless (except to you personally)

• @thestalkinghead said: in mass effect 2 you had to be pure renegade or pure paragon to get everybody to survive therefore making the choices of paragon/renegade and relationships meaningless (except to you personally)

Wrong. It was not as simple as oh you're a paragon and you have everyone's trust. I was a paragon the whole game finished all character side quest but because of choices I'd made in conversation with tali she still ended up getting shot and dying. They had so many variables on what happened at the end that literally any character could die or survive no matter if you played paragon or renegade. I'm dont want to hate on TWD. I actually really enjoyed a lot about it. When i saw the preview for the second episode and all my decisions, i was so excited because i thought this would be a game where my decisions have weight. I felt like I was lead to believe I was impacting the story and at the end there are no choices that mattered. The times I sat racked with indecision were pointless because there weren't consequences.Maybe I just got my hopes up for what the game was based on all the hype.

• @M1L0 said: Wrong. It was not as simple as oh you're a paragon and you have everyone's trust. I was a paragon the whole game finished all character side quest but because of choices I'd made in conversation with tali she still ended up getting shot and dying. They had so many variables on what happened at the end that literally any character could die or survive no matter if you played paragon or renegade. I'm dont want to hate on TWD. I actually really enjoyed a lot about it. When i saw the preview for the second episode and all my decisions, i was so excited because i thought this would be a game where my decisions have weight. I felt like I was lead to believe I was impacting the story and at the end there are no choices that mattered. The times I sat racked with indecision were pointless because there weren't consequences.Maybe I just got my hopes up for what the game was based on all the hype.

in ME2 you can only make the conversation choices that make everybody come with you if you are either pure paragon or pure renegade, otherwise you don't have enough paragon or renegade points to choose the special conversation choices that make everybody come with you, so you are wrong, its not not complicated variables its the amount paragon/renegade points you have and the special conversation choices you get from being purely renegade or paragon throughout the game plus their loyalty quests that make it so you can get everybody to live, it's that simple

• Oh good! Let's have this conversation, which will go nowhere, for the zillionth time.

Fingers crossed that someone soon creates a "The Walking Dead isn't a game" thread too so we can commence beating that horse to death too.

Add Comment