User Avatar Image

Alot of "GAMERS" are complaining that The Walking Dead won GOTY

posted by DatDude on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Alot of forums like Neogaf, and N4G are whining and complaining how the walking dead won goty, saying, quote "it's not even a game", and silly comments like a downloable shouldn't be considered on the same level as a big budget game like halo 4.

A bunch of nonsense, and a bunch of "BAH, Walking Dead shouldn't have won goty" from ALOT of people who've never even touched the game.

Quite sad really. :(

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Really tired of people using the "Telltale fanboys are blind to criticism" excuse. Pertinent, knowledgeable videogame critics have repeatedly given this game the praise it deserves. It won game of the year because people deeply involved with the industry realize that this game will, more than likely, mark a significant change in the way developers structure narrative in their games. It's a big deal. If you want to call me a Telltale fanboy, feel free. I take that as a compliment. What they did with this game was huge and I fully support them.

As far as the neverending "it's not a game" debate, I posted a list of reasons as to why it's a game earlier in this thread. Except for one person, it was completely ignored. Is anyone interested in having an actual discussion about this topic, or are the people stating it's not a game not willing to look at this from another perspective?

• @lucidity02 said: Really tired of people using the "Telltale fanboys are blind to criticism" excuse. Pertinent, knowledgeable videogame critics have repeatedly given this game the praise it deserves. It won game of the year because people deeply involved with the industry realize that this game will, more than likely, mark a significant change in the way developers structure narrative in their games. It's a big deal. If you want to call me a Telltale fanboy, feel free. I take that as a compliment. What they did with this game was huge and I fully support them.

As far as the neverending "it's not a game" debate, I posted a list of reasons as to why it's a game earlier in this thread. Except for one person, it was completely ignored. Is anyone interested in having an actual discussion about this topic, or are the people stating it's not a game not willing to look at this from another perspective?

For the record: I agree with all the points you made in this thread so far :)
    Event went back to double check all your comments just to be sure I was ;)

• Also.. it just dawned to me.

The fact this discussion is happening is exactly why it deserves to be GOTY.

• @Devlonir said: Also.. it just dawned to me.

that's a good point, it has been hard for me to understand what this game is and how i would define it to myself or how i would describe it to someone else, that doesn't happen with most games

• Hey guys, I'm such a 'gamer' too, i guess (i'm also young, 17 years)
    I play lots of games and so i also played TWD a few weeks ago. And i have to say it actually deserves the win. There's nothing that motivates to play the singleplayer of a game to the end more than an epic story.
    I think those ppl would change their mind if they gave twd a try.
    i hope that in the future more of such extraordinary games will be created. there are enough shooters imho... them not winning goty is a nice start

edit: and yes the game mechanics are quite simple but it's still a game... in my eyes 'games' are interactive entertainment. TWD is both

• @Devlonir said: Also.. it just dawned to me.

Seriously. If Halo 4 had won the general reaction would have varied from "cool" to "eh, I guess".

• Nah, most likely the Halo-kiddies would be running around having a T-Bag party......

• User Avatar Image
    Mr. Standards Telltale Staff

@BlankCanvasDJ said: Seriously. If Halo 4 had won the general reaction would have varied from "cool" to "eh, I guess".

Your probably right that if a big box, Microsoft produced, title won people would be less than surprised. But that's exactly what makes TWD's win such a bold statement. I was a little surprised that halo4's production value didn't get it nominated on it's own.

I think the VGA crew deserves Kudos for creating an award that carries more legitimate weight than it ever has before. For years, the VGA's seemed to only follow the money (EA somehow even got Madden to win GOTY in 2003). Games like Journey and TWD wouldn't have had a prayer to even get a nomination in those days. But perhaps, those days are gone... : )

• @DreadMagus said: Nah, most likely the Halo-kiddies would be running around having a T-Bag party......

So, just like every other day? :p

@DreadMagus said: I think the VGA crew deserves Kudos for creating an award that carries more legitimate weight than it ever has before. For years, the VGA's seemed to only follow the money (EA somehow even got Madden to win GOTY in 2003). Games like Journey and TWD wouldn't have had a prayer to even get a nomination in those days. But perhaps, those days are gone... : )

Agreed. The thing was, back in 2003, it was nearly impossible for a game like TWD or Journey to get noticed. Now with PSN, Xbox Live, Steam and the rise of smaller, more independent publishers, smaller games can find an audience easier. It's nice.

• User Avatar Image
    Mr. Standards Telltale Staff

@BlankCanvasDJ said: Agreed. The thing was, back in 2003, it was nearly impossible for a game like TWD or Journey to get noticed. Now with PSN, Xbox Live, Steam and the rise of smaller, more independent publishers, smaller games can find an audience easier. It's nice.

Totally, it's nice for gamers and developers alike. Still, that being said, in 2003 Madden somehow beat Zelda: Wind Waker for the GOTY. Small studios aside, I feel like the VGA's were once must less credible than they are today. No offense to any Madden lovers out there...

Add Comment