User Avatar Image

Need Inverted Controls Option

posted by Ducksditch on - last edited - Viewed by 8.9K users

I am not sure what is wrong with my brain but I have to be able to invert the up/down settings on video games. I am sure there are many others like me who push up on the right stick and expect the cursor to plummet to the bottom of the screen and if it doesn't, we pause our brand new game and fix this in the options menu. Some of you may go further and actually look for this option before even launching the game. So why is it that The Walking Dead game does not have this simple option?
Does Telltale not understand how crippling not having this option is to someone like me? I watched all the trailers and the "Playing Dead" episodes before trying the demo. I was blown away by the whole concept only to be left deflated when I assumed control of Lee and couldn't maneuver him properly. I kept thinking "uh oh, what's going to happen when I have to fend off a zombie in a split second?" Sure enough I found my self frantically focusing on the controls instead of frantically focusing on Lee's survival.
I see the potential and to me the game looks and feels stunning. It is truly a comic book brought to life but instead of being immersed in the beautifully crafted world I am all consumed in trying to make the cursor go where I desperately want it to go. So, please Telltale, if you are reading this, please put in a simple patch to fix this huge issue for those of us that are "axis challenged". I want to love playing this game as much as you loved making it. Please....

373 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I sometimes play inverted, I'm good at inverted and normal, I'm inverdextrous xD

I'm also ambidextrous so I can play with any hand, any time, any inversion, and any control :D

• @JakeSt123 said: So, people want the controls to be wrong? I really never understood the appeal of inverted controls.

The controls aren't being wrong just because they're inverted. As an inverted player myself, I grew up playing games that were defaulty inverted like flight simulators, and early shooting games. That's the way it's always been, and that's what we're used to. Otherwise, it makes the game hard to play. It's almost like somebody having an accent. They grew up with that accent their whole life, and somebody calls it wrong just because it's not their accent. It's really hard for somebody to get rid of their accent. Just like it's really hard for us to play without invert.

• Not having inverted controls is like telling someone that is right handed to write with their left hand. Of bat left handed, or what ever else you are doing with the opposite hand. You can do it but it makes things more frustrating and challenging. Eventually you get better at it but it never feel natural or comfortable. I hope that TTG does offer this option but at this stage in the game I doubt that will happen.

I am an inverted player and right off the bat in the demo I died two times at the place where the Girl Zombie is after you. Had to keep telling myself to think opposite. I plan to get the game because the demo did hook me and I have $20 in credit on PSN. Otherwise I might not have picked it up.

• I have never bought a game that wouldn't allow you to change y axis. I can't play this way. PLEASE fix this so I didn't waste my money.

• How unfortunate a decision for telltale to overlook an inverted option. I don't know much about coding but could this possibly be very difficult to implement? Has telltale acknowledge these concerns anywhere? Do they even know of our difficulties? I can't play it. If I had known there was no invert Y I would not have purchased the game. In fact I'm going to try and return it right now.

• if you are on PC you can manually invert your Y axis using small tools like SakasaMouse or Polynomial's Mouse Inverter. They are reported to work in the game. Using this driver will also invert the y-axis mouse controls for all aspects of the game, including menu items.

• @Toasty said: The controls aren't being wrong just because they're inverted. As an inverted player myself, I grew up playing games that were defaulty inverted like flight simulators, and early shooting games. That's the way it's always been, and that's what we're used to. Otherwise, it makes the game hard to play. It's almost like somebody having an accent. They grew up with that accent their whole life, and somebody calls it wrong just because it's not their accent. It's really hard for somebody to get rid of their accent. Just like it's really hard for us to play without invert.

Yeah, but come on now... Adapting to this kind of thing doesn't take that long. Up is up, down is down. You should be able to get used to that even if you have played flight simulators all your life. Probably.

It's like driving a car with right hand drive when you live in a country with only left hand drive cars. You shift with the other hand and sometimes the indicators and wiper controls are on the "wrong" sides. You also have to position the car differently on the road and get used to look in the mirrors the wrong way. Even the most veteran LHD driver can get used to that. Probably.

... but I never realized how many people actually play with inverted controls. Do you play Counter Strike with inverted controls? COD on the PC? GTA?

Is your mouse always inverted even when you do other stuff like browse the internet too?

My mind is asploaded.

• @plaqueconspiracy said: Yeah, but come on now... Adapting to this kind of thing doesn't take that long. Up is up, down is down. You should be able to get used to that even if you have played flight simulators all your life. Probably.

It's like driving a car with right hand drive when you live in a country with only left hand drive cars. You shift with the other hand and sometimes the indicators and wiper controls are on the "wrong" sides. You also have to position the car differently on the road and get used to look in the mirrors the wrong way. Even the most veteran LHD driver can get used to that. Probably.

... but I never realized how many people actually play with inverted controls. Do you play Counter Strike with inverted controls? COD on the PC? GTA?

Is your mouse always inverted even when you do other stuff like browse the internet too?

My mind is asploaded.

I play with inverted controls on every console, and yes, even my computer. I also use invert while browsing the internet.

• @JakeSt123 said: So, people want the controls to be wrong? I really never understood the appeal of inverted controls.

Quite the opposite. Inverted used to be the only option and was standard for the longest time. The "Standard" or "Normal" option is only a few years old so in actuality we want the controls to be RIGHT as they are currently wrong.

In its current state the game is near unplayable to us older gamers who are used to the original inverted style. This is a simple feature that practically every game has today.

Please patch the option into the game.

http://kotaku.com/5948735/

• Other forum posters have adequately explained why many, many, gamers invert so I will just post two of their responses:

[quote=spdiscus]
    I think up/down is the wrong way to look at it. You aren't moving the mouse up, you're moving it forward. That's where the disconnect is.

As a long-time inverter, this is how I see it... if you want me to look down, you push my neck/head forward. If you want me to look up, you pull my neck/head back. That's how I use the mouse to control the avatar's view.[/quote]

[quote=Dymir]I always think of it as flying an airplane, you have to pull back on the stick to go up and push it forward to fly down.[/quote]

I don't invert on my computer while browsing the internet, etc...that's silly. It's point and click as opposed to a first person shooter so it's very different.

Off the cuff, I would guess a large percentage of the gaming community inverts. For some people that will ALWAYS feel more natural. As natural as being left or right handed. It's not abnormal or wrong...In real life, to look UP, you tilt your head BACK. To look DOWN, tilt your head forward. You can't prevent people's brains from naturally trying to control a FPS this way.

Personally, I think it's foolish for TellTale to leave this out of TWD. Really, it's only going to frustrate your customers.

Add Comment