User Avatar Image

Passage of time in the game

posted by staticfl on - last edited - Viewed by 289 users

In the game it starts in the spring (as mentioned by clementines mom on the answering machine) and by episode two, 3 months later, it's October (fall colors of the leaves in Ep2, and from the date mentioned from the tapes in Crawford from Episode 4)? Where did the summer go?

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • spring break happens every year. might as well be before the springbreak next time as she was obviously joking while saying that. the tapes are labeled with dates which is pretty accurate information.

• I don't think they reached summer o.o

• 1. Mom on Answering Machine mentions getting back before the babysitter's Spring Break.
    2. Carley mentions she was in town to cover the cherry blossom festival (which is held in March)
    3. A flyer on the drugstore had an Easter Bunny w/ Basket.

Three Months Later (which should be June): Fall leaves and October is mentioned on the tapes in Crawford.

I guess the telltale wasn't too worried about minor details. I don't think this is the only detail they messed up on.

• I don't think the writers were being very strict on the timings, and it's probably one of those things they don't expect us to think to much about.

But if we do want to try to account for some time...

If there's a start time to the game's story, I would say it's sometime in March. This is based on Carley saying she was visiting Macon to do a report on the International Cherry Blossom Festival, which takes place in mid to late March.

I always assumed the Easter poster at the pharmacy was advertising for an upcoming event, which would still fit the beginning of the outbreak around March.

Three months later, episode 2 starts so that puts it at around June. However, the weather appears like autumn. So it's around here the game's chronology starts to be wonky.

• @dubesor said: spring break happens every year. might as well be before the springbreak next time as she was obviously joking while saying that. the tapes are labeled with dates which is pretty accurate information.

That is a good point. We don't know what context Clementine's mum used to Sandra in the machine message.

Could be an inside joke, Clem's mum did chuckle at the end. Eg a previous time Sandra did miss or almost missed spring break because Clementine's parents were late or something like that.

• Also it looks to me that ALL the events in the Walking Dead Game happen BEFORE Rick wakes up in Hospital.

Rick wakes up to bare trees, at the end of the Walking Dead Game, the leaves are still there albeit in autumn colours (red, yellow, gold).

• @GoldenFleece said: That is a good point. We don't know what context Clementine's mum used to Sandra in the machine message.

Could be an inside joke, Clem's mum did chuckle at the end. Eg a previous time Sandra did miss or almost missed spring break because Clementine's parents were late or something like that.

This is a plausible explanation. Maybe Sandra missed her actual spring break because she was watching Clem and it could have been an inside joke between them, or perhaps Sandra was getting ready to go on vacation when Clem's parents returned and referred to it as her 'late' spring break. For me, that's a good enough explanation to keep the continuity intact.

• Kind of confused about the passage of time at the end of episode 4. After the group returns from Crawford, it seems to be early morning. Lee takes a nap on the couch, and when he wakes up and goes outside to find Clem, it seems to be the afternoon.

It should be assumed that Lee arrived at the morgue at nightfall, but it was plain as day in episode 5. I'm pretty sure that the end of episode 4 was in the afternoon...

Add Comment