User Avatar Image

Game keeps reverting back to episode 1

posted by CamTheWoot on - last edited - Viewed by 841 users

Just to get this out of the way, I love this game and for me it's game of the year but recently ever time I try to play a save file I am reverted back to episode 1 and this didn't happen just once. 8 freaking time I have played through the game now the furthest I have got so far because of it is when you talk to Chuck on the train. This is only recently I have beaten episode 4 (I also have the achievement glitch.) Please can I have a fix for this I am a huge fan of the game and I have played every episode on release and I just don't have the time to beat the game another few times. I am using the xbox 360 version and I have downloaded the recent patch.

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    MattP Bloggers

Thank you for that information.

Can anyone else who is experiencing this issue let me know if you have either your profile, save, or the game (any or all episodes) installed on a USB drive. Alternatively, has anyone replaced their hard drive or is using an aftermarket hard drive (purchased on ebay, for instance) from a generic manufacturer (not an official microsoft hard drive)?

• @MattP said: Thank you for that information.

Can anyone else who is experiencing this issue let me know if you have either your profile, save, or the game (any or all episodes) installed on a USB drive. Alternatively, has anyone replaced their hard drive or is using an aftermarket hard drive (purchased on ebay, for instance) from a generic manufacturer (not an official microsoft hard drive)?

As stated above, I'm encountering the issue but I don't use USB drives at all. All of my saves - not just for TWD but for everything, including my profile - are stored on an official Xbox 360 hard drive (I believe it's 120GB, it came bundled with an Elite SKU two or three years back). It's got somewhere in the region of 50ish GB of free space. I have Episodes 1, 2 and 3 downloaded onto the drive, and I've only used one save slot. It's titled 'Episode 1' but I managed to get up to the outside of the train in Episode 3 before it reverted. I can see my stats from Episodes 1 and 2, so obviously the data must still be there but the game can't access it for some reason. It won't let me rewind into any Episode, though. I haven't touched the game since it did this, which was on Thursday. I always play with my Xbox connected to Live too, and I have the latest patch (unless there's suddenly one that's been released since Thursday, obviously!)

I really hope that the problem can be resolved, because I genuinely love the game, but I'm hesitant to play through it all again if there's the chance I'm just going to get thrown back to the start again. Thanks :)

• I've also had this issue. I suffered the game-breaking switch 9 glitch that's been detailed in other threads, and couldn't get round it no matter how much I tried, so I downloaded episode 4 and 5 and restarted my Xbox, as mentioned. The game started at Episode 1 again, and wiped out my save. I played through episodes 1 and 2 again, with no problems at all, but then as soon as I tried to play Episode 3, it reverts back to the first Episode again. Also my stats for Episode 2 seem to have been wiped, but the Episode 1 stats are still there for some reason.

Yeah, I know I posted this in the other thread too, but damn I am fuming right now. This is such a great game, which I loved, RUINED by technical issues I'd be ashamed to see on a Windows 3.1 FMV game. Plus, I've just wasted my money buying episodes I may never get to play, in an act of good faith which completely backfired on me. No wonder people pirate games so much these days.

• I'm having this exact same issue! My thread never got replied to for some reason though so I'll try here I guess. I'm playing on the digital version on Xbox 360S. I have the patch, I have deleted and redownloaded the game episodes several times. It didn't used to do this. After 2 I put off playing the game until all 5 episodes came out. Since then I've now attempted to play this 10 times now since episode 5 came out.

I play through the game normally, I've completed all the way up to the start of episode 4. However, every single time I quit the game, it reverts. I load up the game, select my save file, and I hit continue, but instead of continuing it starts me at the very beginning of the game. I have over a 190GB free on my hard drive, I've done cache deletes, everything. Are you guys doing anything to fix this issue? Because as it stands I have a game that I can't continue.

• This is a work around not a solution. I found this by accident...My episodes were not loading correctly as so many have after playing 2 and then 1 started to load when I continued I got out and started to play something else. When I later went back to Walking Dead...it let me into 3...had the same problem with 3 when I continued it loaded 1 then just to check I got out and loaded another game (Crysis2) then went back right away to Walking Dead disc and it let me load 4 had all my choices correct...Did not play 5 yet but, plan to tonight...Don't know if this is just a fluke or what but, it worked for me and I was able to continue to play

• @MattP said: Thank you for that information.

I am playing on my xbox 360 with 250 GB harddrive. I experienced trouble with my game reverting to episode 1 when I went to 2. I took the game out to play something else after a while I put walking dead back in and played 2 then when I went to continue to 3 had the same problem with the game reverting to 1 I then loaded another game(Crysis2) into my xbox 360 and then went directly back to Walking Dead abd the game let me load 3 . I don't know if this makes any sense but, it worked maybe that will give you some kind of idea what you are dealing with.

• I'm still having the problem where the game sends me back to Episode 1 every time I relaunch it, but luckily I keep a backup save now, and overwriting the reset save in slot 1 with the backup file from slot 2 seems to work fine, until I exit the game and then relaunch it later, then it sends me back to episode 1 again. So, I just rinse and repeat. It's very annoying, and still not acceptable that a game could be put out with such a glaringly obvious bug, but it is workable until a patch comes out. At least I can play the damn thing now.

And MattP, no, I've never replaced my hard drive and do not use a USB device.

• I have the same problem i start chapter 3 today and i use the pencil to scribble and activate the 6 and 5 panel on the wall after that a try to fix engin compartment but 9 panel dosent work i can turn him. i try reload from last checkpoint but its same thing the bug continu.

I have chapter 1 2 3 instaled on my (xbox 360 120 go).
    I finish chapter 2 and wait generic and preview of chapter 3 after i go back on menu and instaled the 3 yesterday after i go back on xbox home with exit button, today i start chapter 3 and i have this problem with engin compartment.

And i am connect on xbox live every time when i play so i have recent patch and i buy and download the game on xbox live marketplace.

Thanks for the help to fix it.

• I had just finished episode 5, and was heading into episode 6, when I had a last minute change of heart for one of my actions. I went back and rewinded to episode 5: for whom the bell tolls, and it took me all the way back to episode 1: chapter 1.

When I exit and return to the play screen, it shows that I can start the game at episode 2, chapter 1.

I am on the xbox version of the game, using a stock hdd. No modifications.

This is incredibly disappointing.

• Playing on a 360 with MS original elite HD. Profile on harddrive.

Playing online. Came to episode three in the train and about to start the engine. Ended up in a loop where I couldn't move and only having the "start the engine instruction" flash past me once pressing 'B'. Used exit game to get out and shut down. Started again this evening and had an update prompted. Entered the game as usual and Episode/Chapter 1 starts. Looking at the only save and it says Ep 1 now...

Wasn't planning on replaying the game this early so a bit frustrating. Great game so far though a part from this...

Add Comment