1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Today, we've got a good one. It's another bundle, but it's for 75% off all "Quest" titles from Sierra.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Gibbeynator said: Today, we've got a good one. It's another bundle, but it's for 75% off all "Quest" titles from Sierra.

I guess I'll cave in and buy the ones that I already have on Steam. I don't have the Police Quest games yet, and the deal makes it $9.98 for the Police Quest series + SWAT 1+2, or $14.94 for those games, plus King's Quest 1-6, and the Space Quest series (plus, I've read that some of the releases are different at GOG, offering the AGI versions instead of the SCI versions Steam offers).

• Who here likes giveaways? GOG has another giveaway, with three lucky winners receiving copies of Heroes of Might and Magic. Just go to this Facebook link and enter for a chance to win!

• @Vainamoinen said: Thank god. After downloading the entire 4.5 GB AGAIN, this time without the darn downloader, the installation worked just peachy.

I've never had any problems with using the downloader.

I assume that you hate the GOG downloader on principle (given that it's not simply a standalone executable anymore) but I don't see what's wrong with it, especially since it makes downloads resumable.

• The GOG downloader hasn't worked at all for me for a while, so I'm just forgetting the fact that it even exists. No problems since.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Another dale, another sale I can somehow avoid. Maybe my Steal Sale Sickness isn't spreading as I'd suspected.

• @corruptbiggins said: The GOG downloader hasn't worked at all for me for a while, so I'm just forgetting the fact that it even exists. No problems since.

I ran into this problem too. You have to uninstall the old downloader, download the new one, and make sure to change the file association in your browser. Took me forever to figure it out and fix it, and I didn't realize the browser thing until I was in bed that night.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: I assume that you hate the GOG downloader on principle

No.

When the two central things advertised about the tool that would be of interest to me - "faster downloads" (applies only to more than one GAME at the same time) and "error protection" (factually failed in my case) - do not work, AND somehow my browser makes ill things while a download with the tool is in progress, it's hardly 'principle' when I get the solid impression that I personally will most likely be better off without it.

I have no idea how you got a "principle" vibe here. I've nothing against sensible browser plugins. Heck, I'd be lost without my ad and Facebook blockers - and it's not as if the latter would be a crown jewel of functionality.

• Defend and conquer with today's daily deal, the... err... Defend & Conquer Bundle. Up to 75% off indie strategy games such as Spacechem, Defender's Quest and Darwinia.

Also, we've GOT to be getting close to the end of the sales for the Eidos games. I've asked around to find out how much longer those sales go on for, but probably not much longer. Get 'em while you can.

And hey, another contest! The 4th annual Screenshot Scavenger Hunt is on! Find 12 screenshots across EVERY game on GOG that have been 'shopped into Christmas themed images and get a chance to win two games from the GOG catalogue.

Edit: Checked a time converter. When the daily deal changes tomorrow, 10 am where I live, 3 pm GMT, the Eidos deals will end.

• @Vainamoinen said: I have no idea how you got a "principle" vibe here.

Your vehement distaste for DRM suggested to me that you oppose being required to install additional seemingly unnecessary software just to get a game to download/install/run.

Not that the GOG downloader is invasive or bloated at all, but you seem to loathe buying stuff from Steam as well.

Add Comment