User Avatar Image

You don't need to kill anyone

posted by montesinos7 on - last edited - Viewed by 687 users

You don't need to kill every character in the game to make it compelling. Many great movies/books don't kill any (Or at least not all) characters that you like and it is still compelling. Seriously, every character I liked (Except for Clementine and Molly (I liked the other ones that survived too but I was never attached to them) ) died. Mark, Kenny, Carley, Lee, even ben.

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @montesinos7 said: I have read the entire comic book series. Oh that's what actually happens? Funny because there has never been a zombie apocalypse.

... In the context of a zombie apocolypse do you honestly believe death wouldn't be everywhere? Do you honestly believe that it would be realistic if there were very few deaths? Get real.

• I agree with the OP. I was hoping the game wouldn't go the generic survivor/horror film route where every single non-main character (and sometimes even the main character) gets killed. I wouldn't mind if it were possible to lose all these characters but some of them should've lived or died depending on your decisions; that would've been nice.

Still a great game with emotional moments but yeah. I think Molly is the only character who can live or die depending on your actions.

• @montesinos7 said: I have read the entire comic book series. Oh that's what actually happens? Funny because there has never been a zombie apocalypse.

I'm going to assume you're being intentionally obtuse. :p

It's a genre, at this point, and this is what happens IN THIS GENRE. :p

• @CarScar said: ... In the context of a zombie apocolypse do you honestly believe death wouldn't be everywhere? Do you honestly believe that it would be realistic if there were very few deaths? Get real.

Yeah not that many deaths

• I will say that the OP makes a fair point. Eventually you get sick of it, and move on. It becomes dull and predictable, and the reader will develop "character development fatigue". What's the point of getting attached or taking an interest in the character if you know he/she's zombie bait?

Nothing to hang on to, and you'll get tired of it and move on pretty soon.

• Then maybe the ZA-Genre isn't for you?

I mean, I can understand some characters being more capable and having more survivability. But if anyone seems to have plot armor, things get dull for entirely different reasons.

• The thing is though, it wouldn't be realistic if people didn't die.

• @CarScar said: ... In the context of a zombie apocolypse do you honestly believe death wouldn't be everywhere? Do you honestly believe that it would be realistic if there were very few deaths? Get real.

Realistically? Odds are the death toll would actually be relatively low, atleast compared to historical plagues. Those spread as far as they did (and still do) because they're difficult to notice, either by hitching rides on tiny insects, moving invisibly through the air, or have asymptomatic carriers that can spread the disease without anyone knowing. Rotting corpses that happen to be ambulatory don't enjoy the same advantages.

There's a reason ZA fiction rarely covers how the plague actually began and spread, i.e. that stage where we go from the zombie patient zero to a dozen zombies and so on to where we finally end up with millions of them. It pretty much always automagically starts at that "millions of zombies stage".

Anywho, from a narrative perspective, killing off characters tends to be popular, simply because sadness is one of the easiest emotions for a writer to evoke.

• Low? Are you kidding?

You seem to be forgetting that zombies are effectively a walking viral weapon - that make more of themselves with each kill.

A zombie apocalypse would be catastrophic, even if it didn't go with "Romero rules".

• @DreadMagus said: Low? Are you kidding?

You seem to be forgetting that zombies are effectively a walking viral weapon - that make more of themselves with each kill.

A zombie apocalypse would be catastrophic, even if it didn't go with "Romero rules".

but its the zombie apocalypse part that is hard to get to, but i guess you just have to apply a huge dose of sod's law to the entire planet and just assume every single one of the millions of situations where people could have got away or killed the zombie they failed badly and everybody died due to powerful final destination like zombie magic

Add Comment