User Avatar Image

Unable to flip switch 9!

posted by sp0rtl1fe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Dear Telltale,

I have encountered a game stopping bug where in episode 3 on the train, after I activate switch 6 and 5 I head outside to the engine compartment to switch 9 it does not give me any interaction options. This is really a game stopper! I already tried rewinding but it keeps happening.

Please help me fix this.

11659417.jpg

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jennifer said: Try the suggestions made in this thread. If that works for you, you should be able to continue from the start of episode 3.

That workaround appeared to work (although I had to copy the file twice for some reason), and I was able to restart episode 3. However, next time I launched the game it reset me to episode 1 AGAIN, but luckily this time I had kept a backup save just in case. After overwriting the reset save with my backup it worked fine. The Switch 9 bug is now completely gone, but unfortunately I've come up against another bug. After cutting Clementine's hair, the camera flips out and cuts to the outside of the train, and I can't seem to do anything about this. I can move the camera left and right slightly, as it would if Lee were walking around inside the train, but it's just... outside the train. There are no use icons appearing anywhere.

While it's relieving to finally solve one bug which had me wasting hours on it, the fact that there's another one so soon after is pretty annoying.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MachoMadness said: That workaround appeared to work (although I had to copy the file twice for some reason), and I was able to restart episode 3. However, next time I launched the game it reset me to episode 1 AGAIN, but luckily this time I had kept a backup save just in case. After overwriting the reset save with my backup it worked fine. The Switch 9 bug is now completely gone, but unfortunately I've come up against another bug. After cutting Clementine's hair, the camera flips out and cuts to the outside of the train, and I can't seem to do anything about this. I can move the camera left and right slightly, as it would if Lee were walking around inside the train, but it's just... outside the train. There are no use icons appearing anywhere.

While it's relieving to finally solve one bug which had me wasting hours on it, the fact that there's another one so soon after is pretty annoying.

I've not heard about this one, although I've experienced weird bugs like that in the past in other games. In my case they were just one time things, which were resolved by playing the section over. Try rewinding the game to the section just before that one and try playing through again. Hopefully that will work for you.

• @Jennifer said: I've not heard about this one, although I've experienced weird bugs like that in the past in other games. In my case they were just one time things, which were resolved by playing the section over. Try rewinding the game to the section just before that one and try playing through again. Hopefully that will work for you.

It kept happening, until one time I didn't pick up the whiskey bottle before I cut Clem's hair. That's a weird one. Didn't experience anymore bugs, apart from the one where it resets me to episode one every time I launch the game, but luckily I keep a backup save now so I can work round it, though it's still very annoying.

• Hey Matt I just want you guys to be aware that after encountering the same bug I went and bought Episode 4 per your suggestion. I don't actually know if it worked because when I went to replay the mission my game save data had been reset. I know that's not a huge deal but its really frustrating to have to start all the way back at the beginning after spending more money on this game. I'm sure ill get back to it eventually but right now I'm still really irked at the whole situation.

• ... posts and threads on the matter of switch nine being snarky. I did have the other glitch with the notepad and not being able to move after looking at it in the room with Kenny. I did the whole episode 3 up to this point about 10 different ways literally and it was for not. I went and downloaded the episode 4 and got a real case of the arse from my wife about they just got game of the year from the VGAs and such and wont be around to help ya now that the accolades are giving out and etc ..... She is a passionate gamer and is adamant about getting what we buy and not the glitched=broken merch. I am more forgiving and would be buying episode 4 as soon as I finished 3 anywho so that doesn't make me as my wife states "a sucker". I'll update in a minute when its done wonloading and letcha know what the deal is, folks. Whether I sit with the ones who had positive resolve or stand and shout with the ones who still got negative effects.

:confused: Bob

• Please fix this problem TT, we all want to carry on playing the episodes.

• I have encountered the same glitch regarding switch 9 (and the notepad, but I can get around that). In reliance on Matt's assurances regarding the fix, I purchased and downloaded Episode 4. That did not fix the glitch for me. I'm glad I only wasted $20 on this game. It was a relatively cheap lesson to learn to NEVER deal with telltale games again.

• @Minji said: I am having the exact same problem as everyone else. I set everything right with panel 6 and 5. I go to panel 9 and I have no cursor to activate it. I've replayed this multiple times and did rewind.

Not only is that a problem, but the notepad as well. After using the pencil and seeing how to start up the train, if I try to look at the notepad again, it glitches when I try to back out. I'd go to main menu and try to start up the game again, but it freezes and I have to hard boot my Xbox.

So switch 9 and the notepad have been a problem for me all night as I've been trying to find ways around it and I am completely unable to play now. =\

I am having the exact same problem as well, I rewind, quit the game, choose different options, did things in different orders and it still hasn't let me flip the switch or use the note pad properly. All in all, Ive redone this part a total of 7 times.

• User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff

@MachoMadness said: That workaround appeared to work (although I had to copy the file twice for some reason), and I was able to restart episode 3. However, next time I launched the game it reset me to episode 1 AGAIN, but luckily this time I had kept a backup save just in case. After overwriting the reset save with my backup it worked fine. The Switch 9 bug is now completely gone, but unfortunately I've come up against another bug. After cutting Clementine's hair, the camera flips out and cuts to the outside of the train, and I can't seem to do anything about this. I can move the camera left and right slightly, as it would if Lee were walking around inside the train, but it's just... outside the train. There are no use icons appearing anywhere.

This was an issue that was reported on PS3 when Episode 3 first launched and we found that a quick restart from your last savepoint resolved the issue. I'm not sure why you had a different experience until you did not pick up the whiskey bottle, but we will look into that.

• User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff

For anyone who does purchase Episode 4 to workaround this issue, please note that there are several save points in this scene. If you have reached another save since the beginning of the scene (when the group first pulls up to the tracks in the RV), then please use the rewind menu to rewind to the beginning of this scene before continuing your progress. Furthermore, make sure you completely turn off your xbox after downloading and installing episode 4.

Also, we have pushed a patch for this through Microsoft, and it did become available today. I apologize for the short notice, as we did not expect such a quick turnaround.

Add Comment