User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 10.8K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Now that I think about it, your group chosen in episode four could have taken a bigger role in episode five. Would have been interesting if you didn't get to see someone you left behind, for example. After going to the morgue, I thought me and my group were going to look for Clementine straight away, instead of going back to the Mansion. That's why I tried everyone to come with me, honestly.

• Oh, come on, it was an awesome game.

All you people complaining that your choices didn't matter: Sit down and plot the story with alternate branches for every possible outcome. See how far you get before you throw your hands in the air and give up. Making a game like that is just not possible, period. At least not in the timeframe and with the manpower that Telltale have available.

And although I suspected as much from the start, the decisions were still hard and it was still fun to play through. I still felt I was playing MY version of the game, and it was great. I cared about Clem and the other characters, much more so than in any other game I ever played. I think if you are disappointed because of a lack of fundamental changes resulting from your decisions, then you're playing with the wrong mindset. But that may just be my point of view. I'm just sad that so many people are disappointed because of that. This isn't a role playing game... it's not even an adventure in the traditional sense, really. Frankly, I don't know what it is. :) Interactive fiction perhaps. So thank you Telltale for an AWESOME game experience that is unparalleled. More please! :)

And on a sidenote... I for one am even glad there aren't many different outcomes. I don't have the time to play a game twice or even more often just to see all different branches of the story... :)

• I thought it was great. The characters and voice acting were phenomenal.

My only real complaint is that the decisions didn't mean much. No matter what the same characters get killed and you get the same conclusion to everyone. Aside from that though it was fantastic.

• The end of Ep 4 group thingie didn't turn it out as well as I hoped, but better then I feared.

At least they didn't make everyone go back to the Mansion immediately.

• Man, there sure are a lot of morons on this board.

The story should not have had any alternative conclusions. The ending we got was great and any alternate endings would have taken away from the emotional weight of the story.

HOWEVER--in a game that is supposed to be about choices affecting a narrative, branching paths to the same conclusion would have improved the game significantly, and added replay value. To those who say "OMG, it's UNPOSSIBLE TO DO THIS IN A GAME, IT WOULD TAKE FOREVER TO PLOT EVERY POSSIBLE OUTCOME!!" That is a moronic argument. Even two or three divergent paths over the course of the story could have been included and would not necessarily have had to affect the ending at all. There is no reason the narrative could not have organically come back full circle to the same ending. Look at a game like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis--3 divergent paths based on a choice the player makes at a specific point earlier in the game all lead to the same final area and ending. And that was 20 years ago. It would not have been difficult to have planned this game around a few divergent narrative paths based on things like whether or not you sided with Lilly or Kenny at various points, whether you chose to go the Dairy Farm or not, who you took with you to search for Clem, etc.

Great story, but divergent paths would have been a major improvement here.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Lambonius said: Man, there sure are a lot of morons on this board.

Those who call others morons usually deserve the name.

• Best game ever. I just bought it again for a friend. ^^

• Just finished episode five, and man... what a ride.

The darkest and most emotional moving game I've ever played.
    As a long fan of the adventure genre, I think this one is way up there, ammongst the best ever made.

I gave it a 9.

I'm looking forwards to Season 2.

• I'm not sure how many will agree with me, but I really felt betrayed by Kenny at the end of Episode 5.

He really got on my nerves, but I still tried to be a good friend to him, because I have the decency to not mistreat someone simply because I'm not fond of them.
    I stood up for Duck to Larry at the pharmacy, I shot Duck for him, helped rescue Katjaa when *forgot his name* turned at the Motor Inn when she was trying to save him, agreed with him about leaving Lilly on the roadside, shot Fivel, etc, etc. But since I didn't help him smash Larry's head in or let Ben fall to his death, I was a horrible person who apparently wouldn't help him when he needed it and refused to help me find Clem.
    As a side note, I did notice that at the St. John's farm, he didn't help me fight off Danny (I think it was him) in the barn and watched me struggled. Lilly came to the rescue.
    And I still stood by him, apart from the two times I believed he was wrong. Two times I disagreed with him, and he couldn't trust me.

That made me angry.
    I did so much for the guy, and he completely turned on me the one time I really asked for help.
    I believe he only cared about his family and his well-being. I didn't matter in the end. Sure, he'd take me out on his fancy old boat, but he couldn't dare put himself in danger for me. That'd be far too much.

I'm not criticizing the game with this; not at all. I really think it was a great part of the game. It provoked emotion from me. I wouldn't enjoy a game where I sat not caring one way or another staring at the screen. That's beyond boring.

Add Comment