User Avatar Image

The evolution of Kenny

posted by Demopan on - last edited - Viewed by 389 users

Nice Kenny: This is Kenny in the beginning. He cares about the rest of the people and is a smart, capable leader. He focuses on the well-being of the group.

Asshole Kenny: After the meat locker, he begins to hate people and focus only on survival. He steals the food from a car of starving people. If you didn't help him kill Larry, he abandons you to die in the drugstore. He chooses to let a girl die in the street, leave Lilly behind and he's mean to Clementine.

Grieving Kenny: After Duck and Katjaa died, Kenny became a one-track man. He is either grieving for his family or focusing all his attention on one thing (the boat).

Repentant Kenny: Kenny gets like this for only a few moments. He's either like this when Ben explodes at him, or when he sees the dead couple. He is focused on getting clementine and improving himself, and really ends on a high note.

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Yertos said: Saying Kenny isn't a hero is understandable, but saying he doesn't evolve over the season is just wrong. EP1-EP2 Kenny is much different from EP5 Kenny.

For me he was always the same guy.
    The reason he looked like different while his appearance in EP1-EP2 is he was hiding himself and looked friendly -possibly for some selfish reason- before Larry situation.
    I said "he had no evolution throughout five episodes" because he was already a very irritating man to me.

* You can see "him" when he didn't come back for Shawn.
    * You can see "him", while he and his wife were looking each other when discussing about Clem and Lee's fate. (if they were coming with them or not when it was time to leave Hershel's)
    * And you can see "him" while shouting to ambient and giving orders in spite of he's just joined a group of new survivors. (And Carley responsed: "Got it, boss!" -What a clever one)

EP1 to EP5?
    Looked same slippery piece of "man" to me.

• Actually he does change, he was always a best friend to my Lee and no matter what he only cared about his family and friends (throughout the game) but ends up saving someone he had hated (at the end). How is that not an evolution of his character? Even if you're not loyal he still changes...just not for Lee.

• @Rozzer616 said: Actually he does change, he was always a best friend to my Lee and no matter what he only cared about his family and friends (throughout the game) but ends up saving someone he had hated (at the end). How is that not an evolution of his character? Even if you're not loyal he still changes...just not for Lee.

No.
    The truth is, in spite of I were there for him for nearly all occasions, he was still acting like a loser just because I didn't smash Larry's head, didn't steal from a lone car, didn't leave the lone girl to suffer and didn't drop an innocent young man but other than these I was always there with ALL MY SUPPORT to see him satisfied?

How much was enough to see him acting like a real man? What did I do wrong to not receive at least such a little satisfaction? I was not expecting anything for Lee, if he could act rightfully in general, he would be ok for me like Larry.

But he chose to push me into hard situations.
    Do you really think that any of my "failures" above is fail of "ethics" ? ? ?

Well my dear fellow, what type of a guy is that Kenny guy?

• Well... they are pretty big things to not agree with him on. When it came to Larry it was about the survival of the majority, someone had to come up with it since, you know, he was clinically dead and I believe that as soon as someone dies they start zombifying. Stealing from the car was also about the survival of the whole group, morals are no longer the same; people loot, steal, kill and become cannibals. I'm sorry but taking what you find would've had to become a way of life to survive.

When it comes to the girl, I know it's cruel...but it's right, either way...she was dead. Shooting her would've drawn unnecessary attention to you both and you would've had no way of knowing if you would've been able to get out. Finally, I never dropped Ben, yes he made mistakes, but he didn't deserve to die. Kenny glared at me back at the house and shouted at Ben but, other than that, he realised he was wrong about wanting Ben dead.

• @Rozzer616 said: Well... they are pretty big things to not agree with him on. When it came to Larry it was about the survival of the majority, someone had to come up with it since, you know, he was clinically dead and I believe that as soon as someone dies they start zombifying. Stealing from the car was also about the survival of the whole group, morals are no longer the same; people loot, steal, kill and become cannibals. I'm sorry but taking what you find would've had to become a way of life to survive.

When it comes to the girl, I know it's cruel...but it's right, either way...she was dead. Shooting her would've drawn unnecessary attention to you both and you would've had no way of knowing if you would've been able to get out. Finally, I never dropped Ben, yes he made mistakes, but he didn't deserve to die. Kenny glared at me back at the house and shouted at Ben but, other than that, he realised he was wrong about wanting Ben dead.

So (I know this is zombie apocalypse but still) in short,
    Kenny is a cruel, violent, selfish, slippery, cowardy, unfaithful, unlawful, disloyal, ambitious, possessive, irritating and pushing piece of "friend"?

• Uhh, in short, no.
    He isn't selfish (you look out for those you care about) he isn't a coward (he saved me many times) He never lied to me or betrayed my trust and he agreed with my decisions so I agreed with his when I thought he was right. For example, he didn't actually want to help Ben and co but still agreed with me when I said we should. Cruel and unlawful....they can't really apply to the ZA world, however, what Lily did WAS cruel.

• @Rozzer616 said: Uhh, in short, no.
    He isn't selfish (you look out for those you care about) he isn't a coward (he saved me many times) He never lied to me or betrayed my trust and he agreed with my decisions so I agreed with his when I thought he was right. For example, he didn't actually want to help Ben and co but still agreed with me when I said we should. Cruel and unlawful....they can't really apply to the ZA world, however, what Lily did WAS cruel.

Mark my word my dear friend, it is always more dangerous of people who externalizes their inner anger than the others who hides and uses it when they find proper opportunities.
    Lilly failed, screwed, demolished and shattered everything; I'm with you there. But she has beaten by her own primitive instincts which make all of us human(this is my point).

But Kenny?

He fits better into Shakespeare plays. An ultimate donor for the fail of the mankind.
    :D
    P.S: I even don't mention he started everything by busting Larry's head and he created a chain reaction of terrible events -including Lilly killing Carley- by breaking the whole group's very bound.

• Well, they're in a world of ****ed up people and, imo, Kenny isn't one. He looks out for people, he may be harsh, but he cares. At least he regrets it when he does harsh things. Yeh, I know where you're coming from, but MY Kenny is the opposite of those things.

• @dukeleto said: I'm really really really amazed when I see someone admires Kenny for something he did or something he mentioned.
    How can you guys love a man who has no balls for anything?
    I can understand if someone says : "Ok, he is harmless to me, and I think the guy has no influence on me."
    But I really can't understand placing him on a plot-"Hero of All Times". So, I don't think he had any progress on personality evolution.

The only thing that he did for help is giving a hand to LEEME when we were escaping the drugstore all together.
    In the end he chose to come with me to save Clem, but after I said "Clem is family". (which has no effect on me.)
    He shared his RV, maybe the best thing he did for the group.

So, I can understand two kind of approaches: "like Kenny" or "hate Kenny". Because there are two kinds of Kennies in the game according to your playthrough but even if you agreed with him with every possible way, I don't think he is still not kind of a guy to be bearable.
    No matter how much a player may fall in love with him, I don't think most of his actions, decisions, treatments to others, his attitude, his priorities are tolerable.

At least it is hard for me to accept a man as "friend" while he was offering to leave that lonely girl be, so they could have much time"(I doesn't matter to me, she is bit or not).
    Enough to understand someone's personality, I can't take so much morals.

Maybe for just one time, if he could be a man to take care of Clem when they came back from ferry (after Lee disappeared in the sewers), I WAS READY TO FORGET ALL HIS NEGATIVE SIDES. Everything!

But he chose to sit and drink insanily instead of looking after a nine year old girl whom Kenny knows his best friend loves just enough to spare his own life.

"Kenny to the rescue! For the sake of the universe!"

It should matter to you that the girl was bit, she had no chance of surviving which means the bullet would have been a mercy not to mention a danger to Lee and Kenny, as the sound could have attracted walkers.

And correction. He chose to guard the boat, instead of leaving it by itself to get stolen, and you didnt have his back or look after his family (Helping with Larry) so why should he risk all he has left, his final dream of freedom to help you? And youre Lee obviously wasnt his best friend, just a guy who didnt help him.

• @Yertos said: Only example (Which isn't much) I can think of is when he told Clementine to get on the train after she mentions Duck is sick. Other then that I can't think of any time he is somewhat mean to her.

That is the only thing I can recall as well, but I didn't really see that as him being cruel to Clementine. It was just a grieving father not wanting to be confronted with the awful reality of what was going to happen to Duck.

Other than that I thought he was fairly kind to her, and in my game he chose to help rescue her. Even if Lee doesn't support Kenny in the meat locker, he can get Kenny to join the rescue mission by revealing he was bitten, and then appealing to Kenny to do it for Clementine. Even if Kenny holds a grudge against Lee, he'll join for the sake of Clementine.

Add Comment