User Avatar Image

Blog: Does Walking Dead really tailor itself to your actions?

posted by The13thRonin on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Telltale's the Walking Dead... Where your decisions matter... Except when they don't... All of the time...

Don't get me wrong, a brilliant emotional journey but one without any kind of consequences for your choices at all.

Save Carly? She dies anyway. Save Doug? He dies anyway. Steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. Don't steal from the car? Dude abducts Clementine and tries to kill you. It's not a choice if both options are going to lead to the exact same outcome... Its flavour text...

I figured that we would at least get some pay-off from the epilogue... I feel kind of dissapointed.

I hope that season 2 maintains the same great level of story-telling but actually makes the choices have proper game-changing consequences.

I would not complain if you had not given me such high hopes :p. Season one was good but I hope season two is great.

114 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @OrangeCrush said: Oh god, stop with the shirt analogy already. Its a terrible analogy. A 3rd sleeve?

Giving this game GOTY is nothing short of comical and it killed what little credibility the VGA's had to begin with. Thankfully, most of the other sites that vote on GOTY will not select this game. Was it a good game, yes. Was it a GOTY game? Not even remotely close. The only reason this game won is because anything to do with the Walking Dead is SUPER popular right now. Then again, any award that leaves the voting up to the general public is...well, its doomed from the get go. If they did the same thing for the Oscars we would have movies like Transformers winning Best Picture. There is a very good reason the general public is excluded from voting on the VAST majority of awards.

Why isn't it a GOTY game?

• I just wanted to answer the thread's title question:

Does Walking Dead really tailor itself to your actions?
    It surely felt like it, and that's all I care.

• If you play through the game once, you don't even realise this.

You can take some points off of replay value for that. I also expected a different game if I made opposite choices. But you can't deny how epic this game was on your first playthrough. And I think that's the most important.

Anyway, it's a point Telltale can maybe do something with in the future.

• @notoriousmercy said: If you play through the game once, you don't even realise this.

Yes, if you never rewind, never replay, you do. But just trying to save Carley or Kenny once and you see the puppet master at work, not really allowing you to steer from the given path.

But in the end, yes, it was a great experience and it deserves GOTY for exploring new ways of adult story-telling, something games really miss. But I'd really hope TTG have a higher budget for season 2 and allow the story line to branch of a lot more. For now they already achieved something few games can: People really debate a game, not just best character build or favorite level, about moral dilemmas, choices and opinions.

Oh - and bring back Molly in season 2! And please - fix your savegames system, this is really a mess and it's sad that you don't even care about all the gamers who lost their game progress due to your lousy programming. Sorry, had to be said.

• @CarScar said: And what did you want to win? Assassin's Creed, lmao? I'm a little confused as to why people think it shouldn't win GOTY. I've never played a game that I've been more emotionally invested and interested in and it's by far the best game I've ever played. I'm not even being biased here, I've played every other game that was elected for GOTY (except Dishonored). Yeah sure, it's more like a "book" or a "movie" but still at the end of the day it's still a game, a game I like considerably more then any other game that I've played and if that isn't a good enough reason for me to vote for GOTY then I have no idea what could be.

Yeah The Walking Dead franchise is super popular right now, but it still beat Assassin's Creed, something I thought wouldn't be possible considering how revered that game series is.

Please show me where I said anything about Assassins Creed, let alone that it should win game of the year. Oh, that's right you cant because I never said anything about Assassins Creed. I couldn't say anything about Assassins Creed even if I wanted to because I haven't played it and I have no desire too. The fact that you would assume to know what games someone plays, let alone what game they think should win GotY, based solely on a single post which states a particular game should not win game of the year....well, that is arrogance at a level that is rarely seen, even on internet forums and I have no desire to debate anything with such a person. Well just agree to disagree.

• It does tailor the story. It doesn't change it and put the story in a whole different direction and storypath, but it does tailor it. Giving the Clementine the red hoodie or letting her be without it... It's tailoring.

• Yeah, it kills replayability a bit when people die no matter what you do. I think Molly is the only one who's fate changes based on your actions.

• @JByrne said: I don't know. I feel that thematically, ending the game without any kind of extensive epilogue is probably appropriate.

One of the big themes of the game is about parenthood. Most parent know, or at least hope that their children will outlive them. What happens once their gone is out of their hands. All you can do is prepare them, give them the emotional tools they need to carry on.

That's why the after-credits scene is so note perfect. How it ends on such a huge question-mark. You don't know for certain if the figures are Christa and Omid, friendly or unfriendly, or even for sure if their not walkers (they're probably not, but that's still a 'probably'). For you, Clementine's whole future ends on a question-mark.

All you can hope for is that you did the best you could.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Here's something I posted elsewhere on the Internet: "I've wanted more stories to not worry about offending its audience, or afraid of being realistic (in tone and themes) and especially in the horror genre, and well...The Walking Dead video game delivers that experience, with situations and events that I've always assumed would have happened in something like Resident Evil or other more fantastical horror games. The ending isn't pretty, and treats me intellectually by having it be a satisfying ending in that its resolution has everything to do with its themes and allusions, survival and horror but by not being a happy ending, and there are no cop-outs, and it is brutal.

I haven't experienced an ending as thought-provoking since reading Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, which was the story that lead me to look at stories in structure and more narratively rather than just looking for something "cool" or some form of false accomplishment. Every decision you make doesn't come to be about simply surviving, but a reflection of people and how they would treat one another in this terrible situation, and as one final part of your experience, you are confronted with your decisions and are forced to reflect and wonder about them, and then you see your results in the one last hope you have left, and even then it uncertain and ambiguous on purpose to really sell the point of you having to interpret the meaning of the ending, and feel the weight of your actions.

Well, those are my ramblings for tonight. I probably put way more thought into this than I should have, but this game defiantly had more care put into it than normal so it deserves it. This game has gotten me even more excited for The Last of Us, which if it follows up on its promises, looks to be a true experience in and of itself."

It's not about changing the ending. It was always about shaping this little girl's personality. Yeah your choices don't prevent the entire cast from meeting their fate, but it does alter how those people are treated while they are alive and how you perceive the story. It becomes not about a goal of achieving a good or bad outcome...it is about reflecting on those choices you've made.

The Journey is the Destination.

Add Comment