User Avatar Image

[WD] Lost save-files

posted by nasso on - last edited - Viewed by 26.9K users

My savefiles are just... lost.

I played through the entire episode earlier today. I continued from a savefile from yesterday. Worked like a charm.

When i sat down just now to play through the game again, a second time, to make other decisions i wanted to start from a new save file but i found out that my old was gone.

This was all done from the same computer. I haven't installed the game on any other machine.

I'm really bummed out because the decisions i made in the first save file are the ones i want to continue episode 2 with. And what happens if this happens again? What if i loose my save file when i have completed episode 4??!?!?!?

Has this happened to anyone else and how do i fix this?

Edit: when i started the walking dead game i was also starting up diablo 3. I got some errors about direct 3d from walking dead game and when i restarted the game it started in windowed mode 1024x768 so my settings where reset. this was just before i found out that the save files where missing.

Edit: im unable to reproduce this now. but i think i started diablo 3 first. is it possible that this is some racecondition that caused the walking dead game to fail to sync to steam cloud and reset its settings and save files? the windowed thing is weird though, i dont remember that being standard...

82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • When I delete the Documents\Walking Dead folder after backing up my saves on a flash drive, then I run the Walking Dead program, it automatic recreates all of my saves that I previously had and I still am stuck with the same issues I had before (no previous found saves when starting Ep3).

I couldn't find the saves under the steamapps folder in the Walking Dead files. So I'm stuck on Sizemore's fix. Any one have any ideas.

This is really annoying.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@tmaertzig said: When I delete the Documents\Walking Dead folder after backing up my saves on a flash drive, then I run the Walking Dead program, it automatic recreates all of my saves that I previously had and I still am stuck with the same issues I had before (no previous found saves when starting Ep3).

After you deleted your savegames, they are restored from the steam cloud the next time you start TWD.

If you want to manipulate the savegames manually, you should disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").
    Now you can try restoring your prefs.prop to a previous version (right click, "properties", "restore previous version").
    If you don't have that feature, or don't get a good result, you can try Siezemores workaround.

Once you have your latest savegame working, you should make a backup of your savegame folder, and try if everything still works after reenabling steam cloud.

• Disable steam cloud (thanks!).

Tried Sizemore's fix and it still didn't work. Deleted the TWD folder from Documents, started a new game from Ep2 since that was were my save was from. Played about 10 minutes to create some saves. Used the timestamp tool to change a save from near the end of Ep2 from the original playthrough to the timestamp of my latest save on the fix playthrough. Overwrote the fix playthrough save with the file from the original and restarted TWD. Game picked up with my save (near the end of Ep2) so I played the rest out. Ep2 finished, let the credits run. Went back to main menu. Click play and it went to Ep3 and once again asked me to randomly generate choices.

Now what the hell do I do?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@tmaertzig said: Now what the hell do I do?

It's possible that your issue is caused by having multiple prefs.prop files, which sometimes happens for unknown reasons.
    There should be only one prefs.prop, and that's in the savegame folder.

Please check if there are additional prefs.prop files in the install folder (e.g. \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead) or it's subfolders.
    If so, make a backup copy of the prefs.prop and delete it from the install folder.
    If that doesn't help, make a backup copy of the savegame folder's prefs.prop, and then try copying the install folder prefs.prop to the savegame folder.

• @DjNDB said: It's possible that your issue is caused by having multiple prefs.prop files, which sometimes happens for unknown reasons.
    There should be only one prefs.prop, and that's in the savegame folder.

Please check if there are additional prefs.prop files in the install folder (e.g. \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead) or it's subfolders.
    If so, make a backup copy of the prefs.prop and delete it from the install folder.
    If that doesn't help, make a backup copy of the savegame folder's prefs.prop, and then try copying the install folder prefs.prop to the savegame folder.

Not sure if you work for TT, or are just a good soul, but I appreciate you trying to help.

Only have one prefs.prop file (in the savefile area), nothing in the steam folders. I had already checked this and just rechecked again. So that won't help.

I also tried the restore previous version of the pref.prop previously, but it took me so far back to near the beginning of the game, that it didn't help.

I tried to rewind the end of Ep2 and replay it, that didn't help either.

Any other thoughts? Tell me I'm not screwed. I can't believe TT has not put something out to fix this game. The whole game is based around carrying over choices to each Ep. What the hell!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@tmaertzig said: Not sure if you work for TT, or are just a good soul, but I appreciate you trying to help.
    [...]
    Any other thoughts? Tell me I'm not screwed. I can't believe TT has not put something out to fix this game. The whole game is based around carrying over choices to each Ep. What the hell!

I am a voluntary community moderator, a forum member with additional privileges to keep this place running peacefully. I have a computer science background, and often use it to help others.

I am not sure why you still can't carry over your decisions.

At the moment i have one last idea.
    Can you please check if any of the folders below exist, by copying each line into the windows explorers address bar individually?
    If a folder exists, it will show it's contents. Otherwise you will see an error message.

%PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData

%PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData

Please tell me the results for each folder.

• tried it several times and nothing is working for me either.... :(

• I am another person with issues getting my save file carrying over to the next episode, this time on Playstation Vita.

After completing episode 2 and trying to start ep 3 I get the message "Generate story decisions for skipped episodes" which I obviously don't want to do after investing 5 or so hours making decisions in the first two episodes.

I've noticed these issues go back to when the game was originally released in 2012 and to know it is nearly 2014 and Telltale are still selling the game with these bugs (and many others on Vita - it runs very badly - SEE ALSO https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/50581/vita-version-of-walking-dead-is-a-disgrace) is shocking. The Vita version was only released a few months ago and yet these issues still remain.

I fell very annoyed about this and it looks like there are no patches or even any explanations from the developers.

• I had to restart the game now the FIFTH TIME! When I completed it the first time there were no problems at all. When wanted to restart it to preform even better choices there was the BLACK SCREEN WITH AXE GLITCH which is now has ben fixed BUT NOW AGAIN EVERYTIME WHEN I CONTIUNE FROM EP 1 , IT GENERATES A TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAME (I MEAN IT'S SELF GENERATES THE CHOICES, IT DOSEN'T CARRY OVE THE CHOICES WHICH I ACTUALLY DONE IN EP 1) BUT IT DOSEN'T EVEN ASKS ME AND WHEN I WANTED TO CHECK OUT MY EP 1 STATS THERE WERE NO EP 1 SAVES EITHER!!! BUT WHEN I CONTINUE FOR EXAMPLE FROM EP 2 TO EP 3 THE GAMES IS SELECTING THE CHOICES WHICH I ACTUALLY DID IN THE PREVIOUS EPISODE! PLS HELP I WASTED LIKE 10 HOURS REPLAYING ENTIERLY EP 1 AND EVERYTIME THE GAME SCREWS WITH ME!!! (I'm very sorry but this is driving me MAD!!!)

• User Avatar Image
    TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply here with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

Add Comment