User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 16.7K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Glengarry Glen Ross - The Leads Are Weak/10

• Skyfall. 9/10. Lost two points for a villain who I found very irritating, but gained one for the ending. Happy days.

• Hitchcock 9.5/10

Bravo, Sir Hopkins, Bravo!

• Men in Black. 8/10. Forgot just how good the first film was. Thanks, crappy sequels!

• The Hobbit 9/10. It was that good.

• 8 Mile

9/10

Today I learned that Eminem can act as well as rap. I guess that you have to act on stage just as much when you're an artist as when you're a professional actor.

The Premise is pretty standard: Down on his luck star with lots of talents is underappreciated by the crowds, all the while having trouble at home with his daughter and his mother and getting over a recent break-up. Hmmm... it's almost as if this story was based off of Eminem's life or somethin- Oh wait. I forgot. This is a "semi-autobiographical" movie. I don't really have any problems with these kinds of stories, just as long as something original is brought into it. And what's more original than rap battles?

Seriously, though, Eminem surprised me by putting a lot of emotion into his acting as Jimmy "Bunny Rabbit" Smith. Yeah, he's not exactly "best actor" material and he really doesn't get to stretch his acting abilities beyond the melancholic side of things, but he knows when to be calm and when to be angry. Without even saying a word, he can convey his emotions pretty clearly.

The other actors in the movie also know their stuff, and we get some especially good performances out of Kim Basinger, who plays Rabbit's drunken, down-on-her-luck mother, Makhi Phifer in the role of Rabbit's somewhat mentor "Future," and the late Brittany Murphy, who plays Rabbit's kind-of love interest. (I say kind of because they never really call themselves boyfriend and girlfriend.)They all pull off their characters convincingly an they're pretty much the majority of what carries this movie through to the end.

As for the soundtrack, I doesn't listen to a lot of hip-hop or rap, but I absolutely love listening to the movie's definitive theme song, "Lose Yourself." It's a shining example of rap being used in place of poetry. Every single line is crafted carefully to not only tell the story of the movie but deliver the central message: "You better lose yourself in the music, the moment, you own it, you better never let it go, you only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo."

This movie is beautifully acted and composed, and I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys underdog or music-based movies. However, if you feel uncomfortable about topics like sex and violence (both of which there is a fairly large dose of), you are going to feel uncomfortable watching this movie. Just a heads up.

• I missed the first third of it (though I already knew the premise, so I could pick up the plot), but Tangled gets a solid 8/10 from me for being a pretty damn entertaining film, even if the music is a little on the underwhelming side.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Tangled... I think that's a near-10 for me.
    Totally by surprise, I only watched it this year.

As for the music... well, at least the incantation gives me goosebumps.

• Black Swan 7/10

Man that movie is hard to watch. The gore in it crawls right under my skin while I can take cutting off feet any day because I know it isn't real. The gore in this one looks way to real and painful. Also Natalie Portman looks really ugly in it. Great second half saves the movie though.

• @der_ketzer said: Natalie Portman looks really ugly in everything.

Fixed.

Add Comment