User Avatar Image

TWD: Unofficial workaround for instant "connection lost" issues

posted by DjNDB on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

For those of you with the instant "Connection lost" error message after pressing "GET" i might have a simple workaround.

1. First, as usual, make a backup copy of:
Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
(International users: Exchange "My Documents" for the translation into your language from here on)

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

2. Download and unzip the attached Empty_PatchFS.zip

3. Copy the contained WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json into:

Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\SyncFs\Meta

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/SyncFs/Meta

and overwrite the files if they exist.

On Mac you have to write protect both files. On windows they already are.

4. Start the game and download episodes

5. Close the game

6. Delete WalkingDead101PatchFs.json and WalkingDead101PatchFs.updated.json from the Meta folder

7. Start the game and make sure the game still works as intended

Technical background:
This workaround temporarily disables the latest patches of the game, which broke the download for some people. That's why you have to undo it in the later steps, so you get updates again.

109 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • thank you! thank you! THANK YOU!!

• It worked!It really worked!You can come stay with me if there's a zombie outbreak,thanx a lot!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

The Patch is out, and the downloads should start without the workaround now.
    Just restart the game to get the patch automatically installed.

• Did the workaround, downloaded episodes 2 and 3, but can't start the game. I click to connect, it starts to connect, then it freezes up.

• I've tried both this AND the inofficial fix, but still nothing...no matter what items I put into any of the folders specified, the "connection lost" message keeps popping up. I think I need much more specific step-by-step instructions by someone with a Mac complete with screenshots...if anyone would be willing to help? I've gone about two months without being able to play any of the newest episodes :/

• It worked! You should work for telltale your a legend! Thanks man.

• this didnt work for me it still says i dont have a liscence for this game PLEASE HELP ME!

• Ok guys, can anyone explain me where i can find this telltale folder in the library ? I'm french and even when i choose english as a language, i can't find "library" nor telltale, i just have the walking dead game in my applications ! Also can anyone explain me what is a back up ? Thank you :)

• when i right click and go on properties, they are already checked as read-only.

so i left them...

and its still not working. The percentage increased from before. It used to freeze at 48% now it freezes at 55%.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@daniella0811 said: when i right click and go on properties, they are already checked as read-only.

so i left them...

and its still not working. The percentage increased from before. It used to freeze at 48% now it freezes at 55%.

Yes, on windows they are read-only already.

This fix was for a different issue, when the download immediately went to "connection lost".

It was fixed with a patch though, so I guess it's about time to unsticky and close this.

Please let us continue in your other thread.

This discussion has been closed.