User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 36.1K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @kikyouchanx said: Umm... I never watched this before. So, what is it even like?

It's a science fiction series that can be interesting and unique. It features a time travelling alien with a ship that can go anywhere and anywhen. It leads to endless possibilities, and it doesn't taken itself too seriously. As has already been said, watch the first episode of the 2005 reboot series "Rose".

Also, here's a summary of the fifth series, to give you an idea what it's like. Right here.

• I'd hesitate to call Doctor Who science fiction. It's more like science fantasy ala Star Wars.

Sci-fi, to me, strives to remain within the realm of the plausible. Doctor Who not only does not explain how any of the basic functions of the primary devices works, but also discourages any attempt to understand them. This doesn't make the show bad, in fact it's very good. It's just not science fiction.

• @Alcoremortis said: I'd hesitate to call Doctor Who science fiction.

What?
    @Alcoremortis said: It's more like science fantasy ala Star Wars.
    What?
    @Alcoremortis said: Sci-fi, to me, strives to remain within the realm of the plausible. Doctor Who not only does not explain how any of the basic functions of the primary devices works, but also discourages any attempt to understand them. This doesn't make the show bad, in fact it's very good. It's just not science fiction.

I see what you're getting at, and while I agree that Doctor Who is a bit of a genre-bending show that uses a very loose time travel basis to serve as a frame for all manner of different-genre adventures, "science fiction" is a really broad umbrella genre that definitely applies to anything from Star Trek to Star Wars to Doctor Who. I think you're smartly noticing some of the differences between hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi, and the differences between a space opera like Star Wars versus other subgenres of sci-fi that take the science more seriously, but if you look at a story about a time machine and say "that isn't science fiction," then your definition of sci-fi is just needlessly restrictive.

• I like to think of Doctor Who as a sci-fi show that's not afraid to throw hard science out a window if it happens to get in the way of a good story.

• @LuigiHann said: What?

What?

I see what you're getting at, and while I agree that Doctor Who is a bit of a genre-bending show that uses a very loose time travel basis to serve as a frame for all manner of different-genre adventures, "science fiction" is a really broad umbrella genre that definitely applies to anything from Star Trek to Star Wars to Doctor Who. I think you're smartly noticing some of the differences between hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi, and the differences between a space opera like Star Wars versus other subgenres of sci-fi that take the science more seriously, but if you look at a story about a time machine and say "that isn't science fiction," then your definition of sci-fi is just needlessly restrictive.

I wouldn't say "needlessly". Science fantasy isn't a bad genre to be. I love science fantasy because it doesn't let reality get in its way for story telling purposes. I love it for it's escapism and character.

I go to science fiction to dream about what might actually be possible. Science fiction is great because there is enough research done into the proposed gadgets that there is a possibility that the science fiction might some day become science reality. Maybe not all of it, but some of it definitely serves as inspiration for future inventions.

Now, I will concede that the sonic screwdriver is the one thing about Doctor Who that might give it entrance into being science fiction simply because it spawned this.

• I'm just saying, you're talking about two types of science fiction, not one thing that is science fiction and one thing that isn't. There are existing subgenres that map to the concepts that you're discussing, and I guess what I'm getting at is that if you used the existing words you'd be able to express yourself more effectively.

• That was a good episode. Better then last years one!

• What the fuck did I just watch?

Someone's gonna have to explain the plot to me, because I couldn't make head nor tails of it. Like, at all. I don't mean the Clara / Oswin bit - I get that's a whole other thing. Just the plot of THIS adventure. Anyone? Can anyone just explain what it was that happened, bit by bit? I really, genuinely, didn't get half of it.

Add Comment