User Avatar Image

TWD: Stuttering/lag (Disc version)

posted by Teege on - last edited - Viewed by 8.2K users

I bought all the episodes off psn but i wanted a disc version too share with friends. I tried playing through episode 1 off disc and encountered some rather off putting lag, and in some cases i would miss opportunities speak. I missed one speaking prompt and now clementine thinks i think shes dumb, which frankly broke my heart. In a game that hinges such prompts and quick input such lag can be a killer. I get some issues slip through the cracks but theres gotta be some solution to this right?

84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @fryods said: I can't say I find wiping my PS3 and going through backing up files or replacing the consoles hard drive, for a game that I feel should work smooth in the first place, to be a solution. I hope that doesn't sound rude... but I find it weird that a console game of all things isn't working properly on a console.

You don't actually NEED to do a backup to do the file restore or rebuild database steps. It's recommended, just in case something goes wrong, but not at all required as the file restore & database rebuild (not to be confused with system restore) will not delete saved files. Check PS3 forums regarding safe mode for more info. I obviously do not want to be responsible for misinterpretation or loss of data.

But I completely understand where you're coming from. It was something I was willing to do since I have noticed extended load times in another game recently, so figured it would be worth a shot. Being a developer myself, I hate to blame devs for a problem when it MIGHT be a hardware issue. I'm still not entirely sure if this is Telltale's problem or Sony's, but I'm mid-episode 4 now and have had zero issues since my troubleshooting.

• Thanks for the advice Kahlusha! Just Restored Database and Filesystem and started Episode 3, experienced only 1 Lag in the "Previously on..." Intro but apart from that everything runs smooth and stable. Great! :)

• Cheered too soon...still got some lags and stuttering...it IS better than before though

• Ah, I got you, definitely worth a shot to do that then. I appreciate it!

And I don't really think it's their fault, it's likely a combination of factors, and considering that not too many people are posting about this issue, it must be fairly limited in scope.

I'll edit this with the results I get. I'm hoping at least to get much fewer stutters like in_vein.

Thanks again!

Edit: Did the restore in safe mode and it's still just as bad as before.... Guess I'll see if I can get in touch and maybe get the game for 360 instead?

• I recently received The Walking Dead collection on Blu Ray for the PS3, and I'm loving it!

I finished the first 2 episodes, but there is a persistent problem I'm having with the game: it lags very frequently. There are always a few seconds of loading in between scenes, and sometimes the audio plays first and then the character animation follows without sound. It really breaks the immersion for me, and is a problem when rapid actions are required after scenes.

I'm wondering if this is something other PS3 players encounter and if this is specific to Blu Ray (i.e., if players that have it downloaded it via PSN have this problem). If it is, would TTG consider adding an option to install the game to the harddrive?

• I had the same experience with the disc version I bought this weekend. Great game but the lag, especially in episodes 2 and 3, is really bad. I've seen reports from other people having the same issues with their disc version as well. BTW, I have the original asian slim PS3 320GB with around 38GB free space.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@skyrend said: I'm wondering if this is something other PS3 players encounter and if this is specific to Blu Ray (i.e., if players that have it downloaded it via PSN have this problem). If it is, would TTG consider adding an option to install the game to the harddrive?

I merged your thread with this one.

• @Teege said: I bought all the episodes off psn but i wanted a disc version too share with friends. I tried playing through episode 1 off disc and encountered some rather off putting lag, and in some cases i would miss opportunities speak. I missed one speaking prompt and now clementine thinks i think shes dumb, which frankly broke my heart. In a game that hinges such prompts and quick input such lag can be a killer. I get some issues slip through the cracks but theres gotta be some solution to this right?

Hey, I'm wondering if you had the same lag with the downloaded psn version as with the disc version. If not, seems like an option to install the game would solve a lot of these issues.

• Registered to say I'm getting the same thing also. I've only played episode 1 but the constant pauses were almost game breaking. Especially the part where Lee has to choose between either Carly or... that other dude... (forget the name) at the pharmacy. The game would freeze frame and when the game jerked back into action again I would either have a split second to decide or sometimes it would unfreeze right into a restart screen thinking I didn't make a choice.

And during the last scene of episode one, almost all the voices were out of sync. Someone would hold a conversation with Lee during a freeze frame then unfreeze and skip to the character mouthing everything in silence.

I'm not sure if I should start episode 2 or wait because having to chug through another episode like that would be disheartening. The PS3 is only a few months old and it's the 160Gb Slim, not one of those Super Slims though.

• @Endo said: Registered to say I'm getting the same thing also. I've only played episode 1 but the constant pauses were almost game breaking. Especially the part where Lee has to choose between either Carly or... that other dude... (forget the name) at the pharmacy. The game would freeze frame and when the game jerked back into action again I would either have a split second to decide or sometimes it would unfreeze right into a restart screen thinking I didn't make a choice.

And during the last scene of episode one, almost all the voices were out of sync. Someone would hold a conversation with Lee during a freeze frame then unfreeze and skip to the character mouthing everything in silence.

I made an account on these forums for this exact reason. I got the gamestop collector's edition for christmas, which includes the disc based game. Plus everything you listed above I had the exact some problem with. I though Clementine was going to die when the game freeze framed for a good 10 seconds as a walker (or in this case, crawler) went for her in the pharmacy. Not to mention I didn't even get a chance to answer whatever it was she said in the final scene. Usually it would wait and load whatever the options were within the framerate issues, but not in that instance.

I wanted this game, because I've heard great things, but now I'm also wonder whether or not I should continue onto episode 2 or wait for a possible fix/patch to come out.

EDIT: PS3 is 120g slim, but not the newest slim. It was sent to me by Sony after my original 60g fat ps3 had the yellow light.

Add Comment