User Avatar Image

You don't need to kill anyone

posted by montesinos7 on - last edited - Viewed by 550 users

You don't need to kill every character in the game to make it compelling. Many great movies/books don't kill any (Or at least not all) characters that you like and it is still compelling. Seriously, every character I liked (Except for Clementine and Molly (I liked the other ones that survived too but I was never attached to them) ) died. Mark, Kenny, Carley, Lee, even ben.

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • As I said, their training would work against them.

And besides police, Military personnel would be the first to encounter groups of zombies..... survivors are usually those who watch first responders fail :p

• @Cyreen said: Approximately 150,000 people die every day. Consider that community epicenters will be hospitals and it will initially quietly spread from there. Even assuming the military of whatever country in question tweaks to the situation early, how willing are they going to be to obliterate a hospital? Then there is the normal human reaction to hide weakness, the bitten will deny out of fear, loved ones will hide the infected until it's too late, and in the meantime, people will continue to die and whether they are infected or not, will reanimate. By the time the powers that be are aware of the situation, I doubt they will have a military left to command, considering soldiers are people with families too.

It won't spread quietly however; the idea it would is mutually exclusive with the very notion of shambling zombies that are incapable of passing for the uninfected. Being dead or being both dead and moving are both pretty damn big warning signs that something is wrong and you shouldn't get too close.

Militaries also specialize in dehumanizing people so they can get guys to kill them. It worked in the Civil War, after the Christmas truce of WWI, and worked for the Germans of WWII. And as the training has become more sophisticated, the number of troops willing to fire their weapons in anger has only gone up. Hell, there's actually plans on the books about what to do in the event of an uprising by the Girl Scouts, including dealing with the psychological aftermath of having soldiers gun down little girls.

Dehumanizing the rotting corpses that like to eat people alive to make more of themselves wouldn't even be a challenge by comparison, hospital or not. Particularly since things like artillery mean the guy doesn't even need to see his target, to him it's just a set of coordinates on a map.

Everybody in the Walking Dead is already inflected, bite or no bite.

I'm aware, it doesn't matter much. It's played up as a big thing in-universe, but most people unsurprisingly have a natural aversion to corpses and try to stay away from them anyway... given their tendency to stink and carry diseases.

• @DreadMagus said: As I said, their training would work against them.

And besides police, Military personnel would be the first to encounter groups of zombies..... survivors are usually those who watch first responders fail :p

a lot of first responders will die, but the entire military wont be the first responders just a small amount of them, the second wave wouldn't be a zombie win it would be the start of the recovery

• Yeah, but, these corpses won't just lie down and stay quiet - they tend to chase you down and eat you.

• @thestalkinghead said: a lot of first responders will die, but the entire military wont be the first responders just a small amount of them, the second wave wouldn't be a zombie win it would be the start of the recovery

That unfortunately depends on how widespread it is.

If it's everywhere, the various military bodies will be spread razor thin..... which works against them as well.

• @DreadMagus said: That unfortunately depends on how widespread it is.

If it's everywhere, the various military bodies will be spread razor thin..... which works against them as well.

why would they be spread thin, my point is that the military, isn't just generals sending in waves of troops to die, a military plan would pass through many hands of some seriously intelligent people then handed to well trained disciplined and smart soldiers.

it wont be plan "send soldiers in and fire big guns at zombies"

• @DreadMagus said: To be honest, I doubt the military would be that efficient.

For the main reason they're dangerous - their training... Aren't most soldiers trained to go for the center mass instead of the head on normal targets?

Now apply that to enemies who will not go down due to torso shots..... by the time people actually realize the only way to kill a zombie is with a headshot/blow - and... well... there might not be much military left.

Yeah, we may be trained to aim center-mass (because it's the easiest, quickest target to hit) if we can make aimed shots, but it doesn't matter.

Purely by chance you're going to hit the head, particularly when you get to crew-served weapons like MGs simply by virtue of the amount of lead being thrown in the air (even leaving aside things like shrapnel for the moment)... seriously, it's not for fashion that we wear things called helmets.

It particularly doesn't matter since as-is pretty much everything else in the arsenal kills more people than a guy's rifle... seriously, it gets a lot of attention from the public for a weapon that only inflicts about 2% of the casualties in war. The rifle's primarily a pinning weapon, used to keep an enemy's head down so he can't concentrate on say, killing you. The real killers tend to be things like tanks, aircraft and artillery... none of which exactly require precision and none of which zombies can do squat against.

• Just out of curiosity, how likely would those be deployed in civilian populated areas?

• @DreadMagus said: Just out of curiosity, how likely would those be deployed in civilian populated areas?

Most tend to be pretty close to one. With aircraft it doesn't much matter due to their speed. Given modern artillery has effective ranges of over 20 - 60 km (depending on the piece and munitions), they don't even necessarily need to be in the area to affect it. Incidentally, those tend to be the two biggest killers in wartime.

Beyond that, most cities in the U.S. have a guard depot and/or reserve center with an armory. Even my old reserve company (which wasn't particularly well-equipped) had a number of heavier weapons. Moving beyond the first world, it's important to remember that in places like the Middle East, ready access to stuff like RPG's is pretty much a given in any populated area, some countries over there maintain armories in pretty much every village so they have a ready-made insurgency in the event of an invasion - it's a policy that'll serve them just as well in this case.

Regardless, even assuming access to just rifles to begin with and that somehow no zombies get shot in the face, there's already an expectation of possibly having to call for fire and then waiting until something heavier can come along to finish the job. The difference in this case is that the enemy is slow, won't take cover, and won't shoot back. They start getting close? That's what motorized transport's for, pick up, move down the road a ways and start shooting again. At the end of the day, they're still pretty much target practice.

• You know, after reading that....

...I'd kinda like to see a ZA style movie/book/game where the living actually won. :D

Add Comment