User Avatar Image

Things What Do Baffle Me, Like

posted by St_Eddie on - last edited - Viewed by 774 users

titlenc.jpg

This is a thread for those of you who have questions about anything from life that they've ever been seeking an explanation from. This could range from the average cost of a pint of milk, to the very meaning of existence itself.

Hopefully we can all help to answer each others questions, whilst also having our own curiosity and general bafflement resolved in the process.

I'll kick things off...

* Oranges are orange, but why? It's not as if we refer to bananas as "yellows"! Did our wording for the colour derive from the fruit or vice versa?

* Who the heck is Gordon Bennett anyway?! Like many others, I have a tendency to utter his name in anger when I'm in a state of minor annoyance (I reserve the phrase "fucking cunt bag" for when my annoyance levels slip into the red!) but I am completely clueless as to whom Gordon Bennett actually was.

* Why does my neighbor insist on playing on his bongos at three in the morning? The fucking cunt bag!

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The Bafflement of a Paranoid Ego-Maniac

I recently completed 'Puzzle Agent 2' and was surprised to find that there is a character in it named Ed Davis (who happens to be referred to as a bit of a loony). Whilst my name is spelled Davies (with an e), I couldn't help but wonder whether this name was a "homage" to myself. My whole life I've had people misspell my surname without the 'e', it's not too hard to imagine a developer doing the same.

Sure, I know that sounds egotistical and self-absorbed (and heck, it probably is) but it seems like a very strange name to use for the game's setting considering (to the best of my knowledge) that Davis (and Davies) are names of Welsh origin.

Do the developers even read these forums? If so then why would one of them make a reference to myself? Why am I so self-obsessed and neurotic?

It's most likely a coincidence but honestly stranger things have happened.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

To ease your nerves: Davis is a very common last name in the United States. I'm sure it's just a mere coincidence.

• @Chyron8472 said: Christianity is not about religion (ie. following rules), it's about having a relationship with God. Christians believe that no one has any chance whatsoever of even coming close to being worthy of being in his presence, and that God sent Jesus (that is to say, a human incarnaction of Himself--the only human incarnation of Himself) to become a sacrifice for our sin, as Jesus himself was without sin.

This makes completely logical sense to me, and if you want me to go into it further, I can.

It's not about religion. No simple following of rules will do any good whatsoever. In fact, Jesus heavily chastised the religious leaders of his day because following the rules for its own sake was all they cared about.

why do you want a relationship with some one who thinks you are unworthy of his presence? is it just the fear of hell? or is there some other reason you would want to suck up to a god i would define as not a nice person

• @Jennifer said: To ease your nerves: Davis is a very common last name in the United States. I'm sure it's just a mere coincidence.

I'm both relieved and slightly disappointed all at the same time.

• I'm not sure about the "vocal" tone of the questions being asked of me.

I don't know if they are actually serious questions by people with genuine interest in what my faith means to me with an intent to learn more about it. In a way, it sounds more like a jab than a question, but given the nature of written text, the "tone of voice" in those posts escapes me.

In other words, I don't know if you're actually seeking a relationship with God. If you are seeking, then great. I'll talk about it. If you're not, and you want me to explain why you shouldn't think me ridiculous, then this really isn't the place nor do I feel up to it.

• @Chyron8472 said: I'm not sure about the "vocal" tone of the questions being asked of me.

I don't know if they are actually serious questions by people with genuine interest in what my faith means to me with an intent to learn more about it. In a way, it sounds more like a jab than a question, but given the nature of written text, the "tone of voice" in those posts escapes me.

In other words, I don't know if you're actually seeking a relationship with God. If you are seeking, then great. I'll talk about it. If you're not, and you want me to explain why you shouldn't think me ridiculous, then this really isn't the place.

basically i am asking "what's the point of being religious?"

• Religious debates rarely go anywhere good. Just saying is all...

• @thestalkinghead said: basically i am asking "what's the point of being religious?"

As I said, there is no point to following the rules for their own sake.

And I defy the argument that people would do just fine on their own moral-compass-wise without God. Sure, there are people who are of sound conscience that have no belief, but I would bet that such people are unknowingly influenced toward having said conscience by others around them who do have faith.

Also, not to rubs anyone's nose in it, but it occurs to me the number of people on these forums (and elsewhere) who have belittled my faith, some even going so far as to call God my "imaginary friend" all the while they sit and wallow in their self pity and wish they were dead because life sucks so bad. I defy these people to prove to me how being without God has benefited them.

• @Chyron8472 said: As I said, there is no point to following the rules for their own sake.

And I defy the argument that people would do just fine on their own moral-compass-wise without God. Sure, there are people who are of sound conscience that have no belief, but I would bet that such people are unknowingly influenced toward having said conscience by others around them who do have faith.

Oh, bullshit! What absolute and utter bollocks. That's really quite offensive. My moral compass is incredibly strong and I'm not religious. I don't need to read a bible to know the difference between right and wrong, or how to treat others as I myself would like to be treated.

I have no problem with religious people but when they start to get all high and mighty about it then we've got a problem...

• I'm not "high and mighty." I'm just convinced that I need God. I'm convinced that people who are in utter despair and yet mock me for my faith do not realize how much they really do need Him.

Add Comment