User Avatar Image

Ridley Scott's Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

posted by Davies on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Four leaked photos from the set of Ridley Scott's upcoming film Prometheus (aka the prequel to Alien) have been leaked. Observe and worship the following slices of awesomeness...

cave-450x335.jpgA cave of some sort. You may note that the walls have an H.R. Giger (the creator of the Alien creature) vibe to them. Also, please note that the tractor is not a part of a set but rather an asset of the production team.

entrance.jpgMankind discovers an ancient doorway built by the mysterious Space Jockey race (whose skeletal remains were seen in the original Alien). Note the hieroglyphics surrounding the archway.

prometheus_set3.jpgThis is the secondary arch, just beyond the entrance shown in the pervious photo. Note the scale of the set against the chair towards the lower portion of the photo, this set is fucking epic!

prometheus_set_2.jpgWe're now through the second archway and standing in the main chamber. All three of the above photos are displaying one massive, glorious set. You may notice that we're certainly not in Kansas anymore, but inside the genius mind of H.R. Giger. The franchise hasn't looked this close to its source material since Ridley's original '79 masterpiece...

SpaceJockey.jpgThis is the Space Jockey set from the original Alien. It looks rather similar to the leaked photo above, yes?

228 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DAISHI said: I need me some directors cut.

It would solve so many of the film's problems. In fact I have the perfect fan edit mapped out on paper. If I had the time and resources to put it together, I would.

• @St_Eddie said: Uh-huhhhh. Yeah because I really sound like that. :rolleyes:

Hey, if you don't want the movie or the detailed figure of the Engineer anymore, I'll take it. Just clean the case first, please.

• @Secret Fawful said: Hey, if you don't want the movie or the detailed figure of the Engineer anymore, I'll take it. Just clean the case first, please.

Okay, it's a deal.

Good idea on cleaning the case first though. It's sticky and smells of salt (from when I loved it) and of fecal matter (from when I realised that I hated it).

• if only they had decided to just make one film and set it as a direct prequel to alien the film may have worked (ignoring the billions spent on pathetic archeology "science" and the medical chair with no female setting and how staples fix everything) if the film had ended with the engineer sitting in his chair then an alien pops out if his chest Exactly matching what the guys in the alien film found it would have been a bit better.

but actually they would have needed to re-do everything that involved the stupid crew and replace them with normal intelligent people.

or if the film was entirely about the experiences of david, Michael Fassbender was the best part of that film

• @thestalkinghead said: ...or if the film was entirely about the experiences of david, Michael Fassbender was the best part of that film

The part near the beginning of the film (where David is alone on board the ship) is easily the best part of the whole movie. That short sequence matches up to the quality of 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner'. If they'd just had the whole film be about that it could have been great, with a sort of 'Silent Running' type of vibe.

• @St_Eddie said: The part near the beginning of the film (where David is alone on board the ship) is easily the best part of the whole movie. That short sequence matches up to the quality of 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner'. If they'd just had the whole film be about that it could have been great, with a sort of 'Silent Running' type of vibe.

yeah i think david is the only mysterious/ambiguous part that isn't just ridiculous

@St_Eddie said: I Was Wrong, I Was So Wrong!
    My Re-evaluation of 'Prometheus'

What was I thinking when I defended this movie so vehemently?! I can only rationalise that I was in denial and didn't want to face up to the fact that Ridley Scott has made not only a bad science fiction film (after the groundbreaking 'Alien' and Blade Runner') but also a piss poor movie set in the 'Alien' universe.

There's no denying that the movie is gorgeous to behold from a visual standpoint but the script is a fucking mess. How on Earth (or LV-223) did Ridley Scott decide that hodge-podge of different ideas ,from different drafts, from different writers was worthy of going into production?!

To be fair there are moments of greatness but you have to wade through a river of shit to get to them. Also, the final shot of the proto-xeno is a fucking disgrace that belongs in one of the appalling 'Alien Vs Predator' movies (in fact, it's disturbingly similar to the closing shot from the first 'AVP' movie).

The original 'Alien' is a masterpiece of cinema and despite it's B-movie origins, is elevated to being pure art via it's phenomenal execution of a relatively schlocky premise. 'Alien' is an intelligent film. 'Prometheus' is a dodgy popcorn munching movie.

What a shame.

My Adjusted Final Verdict
    4/10 - A turd. A beautiful shining turd but a turd none the less. It's like the old saying goes; you can't polish a turd.

just watched your video review, maybe you could make a new review now you have changed your mind

• @St_Eddie said: It's like the old saying goes; you can't polish a turd.

Actually, Mythbusters proved that you can polish a turd to a beautiful shine, and without much difficulty, either. Plus, your fan edit sounds contradictory to the saying as well.

• @thestalkinghead said: just watched your video review, maybe you could make a new review now you have changed your mind

It's on the list of things to do. It's a long list though, so I should have it done by 2017!

@thestalkinghead said: Actually, Mythbusters proved that you can polish a turd to a beautiful shine, and without much difficulty, either. Plus, your fan edit sounds contradictory to the saying as well.

A good point well made, Sir.

By the way, I saw that episode of 'Mythbusters' as well. :D

• @St_Eddie said: The part near the beginning of the film (where David is alone on board the ship) is easily the best part of the whole movie. That short sequence matches up to the quality of 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner'. If they'd just had the whole film be about that it could have been great, with a sort of 'Silent Running' type of vibe.

That part was so promising

Add Comment