User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead won't launch on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

posted by neildittmar on - last edited - Viewed by 11K users

Hi all,

I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and am having a problem launching The Walking Dead through Steam. Game functioned perfectly before in Windows 7. Now when I click the Play button, I get the "Preparing to launch The Walking Dead" prompt through Steam, but nothing happens. Prompt goes away, but the game does not launch.

Subsequent tries result in the same behavior. I also tried verifying the integrity of the game cache to no avail. Steam comes back that "all files successfully validated" and none are redownloaded.

Is The Walking Dead compatible with Windows 8 through Steam? Should I try the standalone game download instead? Any help from TellTale or others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ADDED: I just gave Back To The Future (standalone, not through Steam) a try as well and am seeing the same problem. A look at the event viewer in Windows yields the following errors. First one is for TWD, second is for BttF. Both are pretty much identical:

Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2012.4.23.11289, time stamp: 0x4f95e3ff
Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010a805
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Faulting application name: BackToTheFuture101.exe, version: 2010.12.21.51872, time stamp: 0x4d116b3b
Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010a805

DINPUT8.dll is likely "Direct Input 8." I'm wondering if an install of the latest DirectX runtime will solve the issue...

ADDED AGAIN: Running the DirectX Web Installer yields that my computer already contains the current or more up to date release of DirectX. Running the full installer does update some files, but the error with TWD and BttF still persists. The error in the application log of Event Viewer is a bit different this time, but ultimately makes the same reference to DINPUT8.dll as prior. For what it's worth:

Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2012.4.23.11289, time stamp: 0x4f95e3ff
Fault offset: 0x0000ff0e
Faulting process id: 0x984
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdb432f9ad9792
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DINPUT8.dll
Report Id: 38f12c22-2026-11e2-be6c-a2cb7f5d9281
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

UPDATE: So a little more research yields that unplugging my Xbox 360 controller will get TWD to run. I did see some workarounds online for the issue, but will TellTale be providing an official fix?

Also, it appears that all 3 of my TWD save game files have been lost. Bummer :-(

Any assistance or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've bought the The Walking Dead Game from your Store and I can't launch the setup file on Windows 8. Every time I try to open the setup it doesn't do anything. So I can't even install The Walking Dead on Windows 8, 32 Bit.

• Same problem here, on Windows 8 Pro 64 bits, french version.
    I purchased The Walking Dead on Steam when I had Windows 7 64 bits Home Edition, played a few hours. Then I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64 bits and the game stopped working. I disconnected the X360 controller and could launch it again, but it opened in windowed mode, and my saved game were gone.
    Even though I changed the display settings, every time I launch the game it goes back to windowed mode.
    I'm waiting for a fix before I play again, don't want to lose my saved game once more.

• User Avatar Image
    MattP Telltale Staff

There's a good chance Windows 8 uses a different directory for save games, but since it's not currently a supported platform, we can't speculate on this. Do a search for your prefs.prop file as it should be in your Documents\Telltale Games sub-directory. If you find a prefs file elsewhere, it's probably interfering with your older file and that's why your saves aren't loading. On Win 7 and older, you would simply need to remove this other file. It's probably the same on Windows 8.

• Thanks so much for the tip. This worked for me. I am not sure about my save games yet. Fingers crossed.

• I download the file dinput8.dll, introduced after the file dinput8.dll into the main folder of the game and ready.

Now Im playing the walking dead, at windows 8

• @alexan1252 said: I download the file dinput8.dll, introduced after the file dinput8.dll into the main folder of the game and ready.

Now Im playing the walking dead, at windows 8

Yeah, but there are so much dinput8.dll's and you need the correct one . The one which has worked for me was http://www.topdll.com/download/dinput8.dll?q=5e08ac958be05247ff1539e0d1ce7905
    (found in a different thread for another game)

Now I have a fully updated windows8 with the newest drivers (tried everything) and the correct dinput8.dll in the folder ...\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\

• Yep this work-around seems to get things going (W8 64). Lost the settings/progress first time round but more stable now.

• ok, I have in my megafire the dinput8.dll I solve my problem, Please download on this link, and let me know if it works for you dinput8.dll for Alexan1252

:oThis link will be active for 15 days, let me know when the link is disabled, to enable it again:o

• @alexan1252 said: ok, I have in my megafire the dinput8.dll I solve my problem, Please download on this link, and let me know if it works for you dinput8.dll for Alexan1252

:oThis link will be active for 15 days, let me know when the link is disabled, to enable it again:o

This worked like a charm. Thank you so much and thanks for sharing the dll. The only thing you forgot to do is where to dump the dll, but luna1102 mentioned the location so I'm just going to repost the location. c:\program files (x86)\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\. Just to let everyone know I'm using the wireless xbox 360 controller so not sure if this method was meant for wireless or wired but it definiteley works for wireless. Im using wireless receiver driver version 2.1.0.1349 Driver date: 8/13/2009 and I'm on win 8 64 bit. Now if we can get the save problem working :P

• @luna1102 said: Yeah, but there are so much dinput8.dll's and you need the correct one . The one which has worked for me was http://www.topdll.com/download/dinput8.dll?q=5e08ac958be05247ff1539e0d1ce7905
    (found in a different thread for another game)

Now I have a fully updated windows8 with the newest drivers (tried everything) and the correct dinput8.dll in the folder ...\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\

This worked like charm, thank you!

Add Comment