User Avatar Image

Things What Do Baffle Me, Like

posted by St_Eddie on - last edited - Viewed by 428 users

titlenc.jpg

This is a thread for those of you who have questions about anything from life that they've ever been seeking an explanation from. This could range from the average cost of a pint of milk, to the very meaning of existence itself.

Hopefully we can all help to answer each others questions, whilst also having our own curiosity and general bafflement resolved in the process.

I'll kick things off...

* Oranges are orange, but why? It's not as if we refer to bananas as "yellows"! Did our wording for the colour derive from the fruit or vice versa?

* Who the heck is Gordon Bennett anyway?! Like many others, I have a tendency to utter his name in anger when I'm in a state of minor annoyance (I reserve the phrase "fucking cunt bag" for when my annoyance levels slip into the red!) but I am completely clueless as to whom Gordon Bennett actually was.

* Why does my neighbor insist on playing on his bongos at three in the morning? The fucking cunt bag!

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No, it's an imposter, I tell you! The real George Lucas is a good man!

Also, for the record, I actually don't mind the Star Wars prequels in the least... except for the second one, which did suck, undeniably.

• @Chyron8472 said: As I said, there is no point to following the rules for their own sake.

And I defy the argument that people would do just fine on their own moral-compass-wise without God. Sure, there are people who are of sound conscience that have no belief, but I would bet that such people are unknowingly influenced toward having said conscience by others around them who do have faith.

...What about my grandparents who are Buddhists/Taoist/ancestor worshipers who live in a country were Christianity is a tiny minority who believe in being good for the sake of humanity and not to appease a western god? Even growing up as Christian I never thought God was necessary for people to be good. I'm fine with you being Christian, I really am, but you should move outside your American-centric mindset because the world is a lot bigger than you seem to imply.

@Chyron8472 said: I defy these people to prove to me how being without God has benefited them.

I've personally benefited from knowing that there isn't someone constantly breathing down my back as well as the idea that I am 100% responsible for myself. I don't have to anguish or rationalize why a supposedly all-powerful benevolent God would allow absolute atrocities occur then feel obligated to worship such a God regardless.

You have a very depressing view of the world if you think people are completely incapable of being good without an outside force. :(

• @Chyron8472 said: As I said, there is no point to following the rules for their own sake.

And I defy the argument that people would do just fine on their own moral-compass-wise without God. Sure, there are people who are of sound conscience that have no belief, but I would bet that such people are unknowingly influenced toward having said conscience by others around them who do have faith.

I don't need the threat of heaven or hell to be a good person anymore then I need the promise of Farther Christmas giving me presents for being a good boy all year.

Thing that baffles me: How would I know if my body had Myotismon's soul inside me and I was just being used in his chess game.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Just a note - if you're gonna keep talking about religion, could you maybe move it over to the thread about religion? Thanks.

EDIT: Huh. Can't seem to find said thread. Well, OK, if you guys wanna keep talking about Religion then I'll just move it to a new thread and let it continue there.

• @Darth Marsden said: Just a note - if you're gonna keep talking about religion, could you maybe move it over to the thread about religion? Thanks.

EDIT: Huh. Can't seem to find said thread. Well, OK, if you guys wanna keep talking about Religion then I'll just move it to a new thread and let it continue there.

I think you mean this thread.

• Even without religion, people still run on a system of feels. You can't just shut them off.

Yup. A complicated and irrational set of feels. Different mix of different feels for different people, that interweave and combine and conflict with one another.

Its quite baffling how complicated us humans are! XD

• Something new that I find confusing: Why do they take a product that's perfectly great, and sells well, and change it up and call it " new" or "new and improved"? They did this with Coca Cola ages ago, and that sucked until they changed it back. Then my fabric softener got changed a couple of years ago, and that pissed me off, because my laundry doesn't smell the same as it always has. Why?

• @dustpuffs said: Something new that I find confusing: Why do they take a product that's perfectly great, and sells well, and change it up and call it " new" or "new and improved"? They did this with Coca Cola ages ago, and that sucked until they changed it back. Then my fabric softener got changed a couple of years ago, and that pissed me off, because my laundry doesn't smell the same as it always has. Why?

To get interest back into the brand again. If they get any kind of response then they win.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@flesk said: I think you mean this thread.

Yes. Yes I did. Thanks.

Yeah, if we could keep the religious stuff in that thread rather than here, I'd appreciate it guys.
    @flesk said: Something new that I find confusing: Why do they take a product that's perfectly great, and sells well, and change it up and call it " new" or "new and improved"? They did this with Coca Cola ages ago, and that sucked until they changed it back. Then my fabric softener got changed a couple of years ago, and that pissed me off, because my laundry doesn't smell the same as it always has. Why?As RetroVortex said, one reason is to keep interest in the brand.

Another has to do with improvements in the formulae/recipe. When you hear about companies spending millions of R&D, it's not a complete lie. They are looking to make better products, and so when they come up with a better one, they'll often replace the old one with it. Hence 'new and improved'.

Like you say, it doesn't always work out, especially with consumables, in which case they'll generally go back to the old recipe and possibly relaunch the new one under a different name.

Add Comment