User Avatar Image

JAM: January Animation Month - Make 31 Animations In January

posted by Jennifer on - last edited - Viewed by 6.7K users

I have participated in NaNoWriMo and FAWM, and I wished there was a similar thing for my biggest love: animation. So, the JAM was born!

I know there's people here who enjoy making animations, so I thought I'd see if anyone wants to join me. I'll try it regardless if I have anyone joining me, but it would be a lot more fun to have other people joining in the fun. :)

I started up a simple page for the JAM on my website, here. Like the other challenges like this, it's just for fun, there's no prizes, and there's only one challenge: to make 31 animations in the 31 days of January. It doesn't have to be an animation a day, you can make as many animations a day as you want. The animation can be flash, traditionally animated, stop-motion, CGI, animated gif or whatever you wish. They can be 1 second long or they can be 20 minutes long. It's up to you. Just remember the goal is to make 31 animations in 31 days, so use your own judgement so you don't burn yourself out.

So, anyone here feel like joining in on the fun? :D

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm also terrible at animating.

drWj0.gif
    ^My best piece of animation so far, which I did for another purpose.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I always wanted to create an animated sketch comedy parody show like Robot Chicken. This year I decided to use JAM to finally make that dream a reality, one sketch at a time. :)

Here's the first one.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Wow. The end of the month has a way of creeping up on you.

Here's a new comic animation. I got to finally update my comic (it's been 6 months already since the last update!) and get another animation done at the same time.

I'm not crazy enough to do 30 animations in one day, but I'll try to get at least a few more up before JAM is over. :)

Since I don't want to bump the topic every time I make a new animation, here's two more:

I was making up weird sayings in other languages like "Voulez vous manger un croissant, maintenant?" and "Watashi wa Ichiban Pika-chan". This animation is of the latter:

pikachan.gifAnd another comic because the one subscriber I have deserves more than one comic every half a year.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

So, year three of the January Animation Month Challenge is coming up. :) Anyone feel like joining in on the fun? It's always fun during these JAMs to see what people come up with. :D

Oh, and if you want to pop in for a few days and do some animations but don't feel like doing all 31, feel free. :) I only did four last year (although I'm going to try to do all 31 this year. It would be nice to match my first year. :)).

• @Jennifer said: So, year three of the January Animation Month Challenge is coming up. :) Anyone feel like joining in on the fun? It's always fun during these JAMs to see what people come up with. :D

Oh, and if you want to pop in for a few days and do some animations but don't feel like doing all 31, feel free. :) I only did four last year (although I'm going to try to do all 31 this year. It would be nice to match my first year. :)).

humm i think i will join in, i will do them on the day, and i will see if i can do 31

• I'll give it a miss this year. Bit busy with other things. :)

• don't know if i feel up to more than this:

humph_by_thestalkinghead-d5q0sk3.gif

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@thestalkinghead said: don't know if i feel up to more than this:

Thanks for joining in on the fun this year! :D Feel free to pop in at this thread at any point during this month if you feel like making more (don't let the 31 animation goal deter you, this challenge is all about having fun and maybe even honing your skills, so any animation done during JAM is a success in my book). :)

Here's my first animation of the month (and a continuation of my webcomic). This one's actually based on a dream that I really had where I played frisbee with a dragon. It's was surreal, and a bit strange (but is not my strangest dream ever... I should post that some time, now that one's weird :p).

jenni_comic_34__2013_jam_1___frisbee_by_

Add Comment