User Avatar Image

How to have determention to make video games?

posted by TheBigGuns on - last edited - Viewed by 395 users

I am a depressed person,have no motivation and want to make video games. How do I do it. My role will be the Dilbert Boss type a manager. I pay people to do the work and create the ideas. Most games never get made and the ones that do usually suck. How do I make them?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Stubbornness. I've been developing a game for over a year, and I've wanted to quit more than once. I'm a depressive, possibly a high-functioning sociopath, and I hate everything I do. I still manage somehow. Also, the way you want to make games....it doesn't work that way.

How old are you.

What type of games do you want to make.

Can you draft your ideas into a full, detailed game design document made up of spreadsheets, full concepts, gameplay, etc?

Do you have experience with languages like C?

Do you understand the way people work, or how to function according to current market demand?

If any of this sounds scary, good, because you're about to embark on a trip through Hell. Get out while you still can.

• Well first off, you have to have motivation. Go out onto forums and indie game communities and just soak up all the info you can. Be involved. Go to schools and develop skill on to be a game dev, get hired by a company and work your butt off and persist. If you do very well and learn about management, several years down the line, you can perhaps start your own company?

I mean, you can't start all the way on top without understanding the industry in the first place. From my understanding, it's incredibly difficult to be in that industry in the first place so if you even try without any motivating factor, you might as well not even try. :\

• How old are you.
    Almost 19

What type of games do you want to make.
    Widget Series http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WidgetSeries

Can you draft your ideas into a full, detailed game design document made up of spreadsheets, full concepts, gameplay, etc?
    Kinda

Do you have experience with languages like C?
    NO

Do you understand the way people work, or how to function according to current market demand?
    Huh

If any of this sounds scary, good, because you're about to embark on a trip through Hell. Get out while you still can.[/QUOTE]
    No way hozah those shoe are cool

• @Giant Tope said: Well first off, you have to have motivation. Go out onto forums and indie game communities and just soak up all the info you can. Be involved. Go to schools and develop skill on to be a game dev, get hired by a company and work your butt off and persist. If you do very well and learn about management, several years down the line, you can perhaps start your own company?

I mean, you can't start all the way on top without understanding the industry in the first place. From my understanding, it's incredibly difficult to be in that industry in the first place so if you even try without any motivating factor, you might as well not even try. :\

Thanks for your supporting speech (sarcasm). Also I am going to set up my company next month as a sole proprietorship in closed Beta in a measly 1000 dollars god save me..

• If you want to be the pointy haired boss, the first thing you need to do is shave the middle of your head and grow out the sides. Probably some Liberty gel will be in order to get them to stick up straight unless your hair naturally does that.

Then you need to find an engineering company and bully the engineers around.

Pointy-Haired_Boss.jpg

But more seriously, not to squash your dreams or anything, but you really should get more experience before diving headlong into this. Working for someone else first will get your funds up and also teach you some necessary skills about management and/or programming. I mean, it's the same for every job, you gotta start at the very bottom doing shit work until you learn enough to either strike out on your own or get recognized for doing awesome shit.

This may involve not getting paid at your first gig. I know I worked three summers for free before I got a paying job and this is in a field where I'll have to work for six or seven years before I even start making the "real" money. Things are hard, but I think it's worth it to invest time and effort before making a mess.

• Everyday the same dream was made in 6 days and it is one of the most innovative games.Mine will take 6 months.

• OK. To get a rough idea of how much work making a game would be, try making something basic in Adventure Game Studio. This is one of the easiest ways of actually making a proper game, and even then it's going to require a good amount of effort. Look into it.

• I have just been asked by someone to create an isometric game wish me luck.

• Another game that took a really short time to make was E.T. and I think we know how that worked out.

All I know about game making comes from futzing around with the Age of Empires level creator and I could NEVER get anything to work the way I wanted. Granted, I was ten at the time, but even after weeks of working to get my Robin Hood level put together, I still couldn't get the triggers to work properly. And I already had a perfectly functioning engine to work with that was designed for people to tinker with it.

• This reminds me that I should really start buckling down and design something... -_-
    (Ideas? Easy. Got them coming out of my ears, everything else? Hard. Very, very hard. XD)

EDIT: Maybe I should start with reading that book again. Get that mind frame going. And trying to find and commit to a time slot to work in.
    (Blegh! The curse of a perceiver! Organisation! X'D)

This discussion has been closed.