User Avatar Image

The walking dead - steam - saves not reachable

posted by jeppson on - last edited - Viewed by 543 users

After that I had a blu esceen i lost my save in the game (the walking dead). Steam is still showing that I played several hours and showing my progress but cant keep playing.

Can you help?

14 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@jeppson said: I tried restoring back to 1/12 but still no saves in-game :(

Any other tips?

I forgot about the steam cloud. It is possible, that it just restored your broken savegames when you launched TWD again.

Please disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").
    Then try restoring a previous version of the savegame folder again.

• I did what you said but with no effect.. still only got "new game" as a option. Guess my BS really messed things up :)

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

That's weird. Can you please check if the prefs.prop's date in
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    is updated to the current date if you start the walking dead?

• The prefs.prop date before starting TWD: 2012-12-16, after I started TWD: 2012-12-27.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I see. So we can be sure that it's using the correct savegame folder.

There's only a slim chance of recovering your savegames properly.

Please check if there are any prefs.prop files in the install folder
    (e.g. \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead)
    or its subfolders.

If so, try copying the prefs.prop from the install folder to your savegame folder, replacing the original one, and check if you can load your savegames.

• Is it good/bad that folder "the walking dead" does not contain any prefs.prop files?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@jeppson said: Is it good/bad that folder "the walking dead" does not contain any prefs.prop files?

There are two "the walking dead" folders.
    prefs.prop must not be in the install folder \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead
    or its subfolders.

prefs.prop must be in the savegame folder

• @DjNDB said: There are two "the walking dead" folders.
    prefs.prop must not be in the install folder \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead
    or its subfolders.

prefs.prop must be in the savegame folder

There is only a prefs.prop file in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead and not in \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead or its subfolders. :(

• Can't we just be given a way to edit our prefs.prop file to tell it which save game to point to?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@jeppson said: There is only a prefs.prop file in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead and not in \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead or its subfolders. :(

I fear there's no good way to restore your savegames then.

If you want to do some tinkering, you can try
    the Siezemore fix. Be aware that you need a savegame of the same episode you played last. It's not a 100% sure solution, but it seems to work.

Add Comment