User Avatar Image

How to have determention to make video games?

posted by TheBigGuns on - last edited - Viewed by 328 users

I am a depressed person,have no motivation and want to make video games. How do I do it. My role will be the Dilbert Boss type a manager. I pay people to do the work and create the ideas. Most games never get made and the ones that do usually suck. How do I make them?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TheBigGuns said: I have just been asked by someone to create an isometric game wish me luck.

Good luck.

We need a general game design thread. I wonder how DAISHI's game is going.

• Don't forget to read up on isometric graphic design!
    (Maybe looking at some isometric sprite tutorials would be helpful first. Maybe look to see if there are any isometric tutorials in your engine of choice afterwards. (If its a 3D game made with Unity or something (I dunno though. I could never wrap my head around 3D stuff :confused:)))

EDIT: Also Fawful I think we DO have a thread for it, but it got buried since no-one (barring Daishi of course) was making anything at the time really! XD

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@TheBigGuns said: I am a depressed person,have no motivation and want to make video games. How do I do it.

Loose the depression and get some motivation.

@TheBigGuns said: I pay people to do the work and create the ideas.

If that somehow aims at a managerial position - you do not seem to have an idea how incredibly much you would work in that position. :o

Building an entirely new company by making games is the privilege of very, very disciplined, hard working people who have to watch their dreams getting smashed to pieces every day, and gather the courage to build something new from the shards repeatedly.

• Sounds to me like the Pointy Haired Boss is a good analogy. He wants to be at the lead, giving orders, with no understanding of what the people under him do.

I always wonder how Dilbert's company is still afloat, aside from the magic of the comics page.

• @Vainamoinen said: Loose the depression and get some motivation.

If that somehow aims at a managerial position - you do not seem to have an idea how incredibly much you would work in that position. :o

Building an entirely new company by making games is the privilege of very, very disciplined, hard working people who have to watch their dreams getting smashed to pieces every day, and gather the courage to build something new from the shards repeatedly.

I have broken dreams

• @Alcoremortis said: But more seriously, not to squash your dreams or anything, but you really should get more experience before diving headlong into this.

This very much. Even Notch began working for someone else before he created Minecraft.

Only a few can manage to create a good game on their first try. In fact, the only one I manage to think of is Dave Gilbert, founder of WadjetEye Games. And he started making various freeware adventure games in Adventure Game Studio.

EDIT: Correction, Dave Gilbert actually worked in a team for a contest before he made The Shivah.

• If I am going to base this game on a real world country what are tips more making it the geography, buildings etc accurate.What type of people do you hire to map a real world area?Any suggestions on who I should hire on Elance?

• The next 2 days are going to be important. Having only a measly 12000 dollars, what is the best way to make sure my site is designed cheap using joomla, how much will creating policy and legal cost? Not to mention creating a viral video for views. Also the site design and legal will be under CC0. I could use some advice on this telltale games. I have a site but it isn't designed at all.

• 1. If your going to make a game awesome. If your going to hire other people to do your work is it really your game?

2. Being a boss without understanding what the hell is going on...well the office..that's all I'm going to say.

3. It's one thing to be an player and enjoy them. It's quite different to sell them and make them.

This discussion has been closed.