User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 168.6K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Alcoremortis said: You should play BttF.

i have and i don't mean hints, i mean i want it to either do it for me or tell me exactly what i have to do to get to the next puzzle, i would avoid as much as i can (like guides) but sometimes you get stuck and it ruins the flow and going to talk to everybody and looking at everything just doesn't help because you are stuck

• @thestalkinghead said: i have and i don't mean hints, i mean i want it to either do it for me or tell me exactly what i have to do to get to the next puzzle, i would avoid as much as i can (like guides) but sometimes you get stuck and it ruins the flow and going to talk to everybody and looking at everything just doesn't help because you are stuck

The BttF "hints" essentially told you what to do. And if you want the game to do shit for you, maybe it's a sign you don't want to play a game at all. Why not just watch a movie at that point? Or a Let's Play?

• @Alcoremortis said: The BttF "hints" essentially told you what to do. And if you want the game to do shit for you, maybe it's a sign you don't want to play a game at all. Why not just watch a movie at that point? Or a Let's Play?

i don't think i used the hints in Bttf, but i have used hints in other adventure games and they are often just as frustrating as the puzzle you are stuck on and would say some thing like "you have to open the door to the bakers" and I am thinking "i know i have to open the door i just don't know how to do that you asshole hint" but then i would go on the internet to find out how to open it and it would tell me how to actually open the door (and the next puzzle if the website isn't good at hiding spoilers :( )

the thing about having an actual solve puzzle button on the game would mean that i didnt have to search through a guide to find where i am in the guide.

and no it is not a sign i want to watch a movie or a lets play it is a clear and obvious fact that i am stuck on one puzzle

• All I have to say about this is Discworld.

Discworld.

• @thestalkinghead said:

the thing about having an actual solve puzzle button on the game would mean that i didnt have to search through a guide to find where i am in the guide.

and no it is not a sign i want to watch a movie or a lets play it is a clear and obvious fact that i am stuck on one puzzle

sweet jesus

might as well add an insta-win button in dark souls.

• I told you. You opened up a can of worms.

• @Giant Tope said: sweet jesus

might as well add an insta-win button in dark souls.

yes of course insta-win buttons in games is what i want

so am i the only person here (or the only person who will admit) that has ever used a guide?

• @thestalkinghead said: yes of course insta-win buttons in games is what i want

so am i the only person here (or the only person who will admit) that has ever used a guide?

I'll happily admit I've used a few, but that doesn't mean I want those games to be easier.

It would be nice to see more scalable difficulty options in games, but of course systems like that take A LOT of work.
    I'd rather games be challenging than easy, at least then I have that choice to stick with it or cheat.

(Plus try to play Onimusha 2 without a guide.)

• @RetroVortex said: I'll happily admit I've used a few, but that doesn't mean I want those games to be easier.

It would be nice to see more scalable difficulty options in games, but of course systems like that take A LOT of work.
    I'd rather games be challenging than easy, at least then I have that choice to stick with it or cheat.

(Plus try to play Onimusha 2 without a guide.)

my idea is a built in guide, it wouldn't make the game easier (unless you used the button all the time, same as a guide)

• @thestalkinghead said: i think adventure games should have a "just tell me what to f*cking do i have been stuck for an hour and i don't want to have to search the internet" button

thoughts?

If that's what you want, then let me direct you to Back To the Future the Game!

This discussion has been closed.