User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 192.7K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think it’s a joke name, sir, like Ophelia Sorus or Biggus Dickus, sir.

• @Gman5852 said: If that's what you want, then let me direct you to Back To the Future the Game!

humm i just had to install it again and check out the hint system, it is actually as good as i would want really (only checking the beginning of the game so far) i just never got stuck long enough to check the hints the first time, i will see if there is ever a time where a hint wouldn't be helpful, but it seems to be actually giving instructions rather than hints if you go far enough into the hints :)

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Hector: Badge of Carnage had what you're talking about. It had hints, and then if you clicked for more of a hint it would give you that, and then if you wanted it to tell you exactly what to do, you clicked for it to do that too (IIRC I think Back to the Future: The Game did this too). Hector's way of doing it were like the UHS (Universal Hint System) files. And I quite liked that way of hinting, personally. I kind of wish more games would do that (and, preferably, keep it out of the way like Hector did, rather than all up in your face as a huge portion of the interface like BTTF).

• @Giant Tope said: sweet jesus

might as well add an insta-win button in dark souls.

Didn't some Sierra game have something similar?

Seriously, though, this is why we can't have nice things.

• @Jennifer said: Hector: Badge of Carnage had what you're talking about. It had hints, and then if you clicked for more of a hint it would give you that, and then if you wanted it to tell you exactly what to do, you clicked for it to do that too (IIRC I think Back to the Future: The Game did this too). Hector's way of doing it were like the UHS (Universal Hint System) files. And I quite liked that way of hinting, personally. I kind of wish more games would do that (and, preferably, keep it out of the way like Hector did, rather than all up in your face as a huge portion of the interface like BTTF).

yeah the hints in BttF are really good (maybe they could be in the menu rather than in the interface), i should have just checked them out before, but any time i have used hints in other games they usually leave out the detail that i am stuck on but this will actually tell you straight up what to do,

this should be in all adventure games plus if there are any of the kind of mini games or brain teaser logic puzzles they should just be skippable/auto solved, eg, in the directors cut of broken sword they added a new bit a the beginning (which to me shifted the focus of the story to nicole as the main character, i don't know if i liked that) and there was 2 cypher puzzles i did the first one reasonably easy but the second was super frustrating so i tried the hint system and all it told me was that i should solve the cypher :mad: i wanted a solve cypher button

• Getting stuck in adventure games is part of the fun. The wandering round using everything with everything. And then finaly getting past the problem! Also thats where you find all the easter eggs and stuff when your trying everything and talking to everyone.

• @coolsome said: Getting stuck in adventure games is part of the fun. The wandering round using everything with everything. And then finaly getting past the problem! Also thats where you find all the easter eggs and stuff when your trying everything and talking to everyone.

yeah i am stubborn enough to do that, but there comes a point where you have done everything and it is no longer fun, that is the point where i would use hints/guides

• The only time I've really honestly wanted a "Win now" button has been in Jade Empire for the flight missions. I want the storyline stuff at the end of them, but I did sign up to play an RPG, not Galaga. Because I suck at those types of games.

• How do I get a custom title?

• @DAISHI said: How do I get a custom title?

Go on User CP then edit profile details and its under "Custom User Title".

This discussion has been closed.