User Avatar Image

How to have determention to make video games?

posted by TheBigGuns on - last edited - Viewed by 467 users

I am a depressed person,have no motivation and want to make video games. How do I do it. My role will be the Dilbert Boss type a manager. I pay people to do the work and create the ideas. Most games never get made and the ones that do usually suck. How do I make them?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 1. If your going to make a game awesome. If your going to hire other people to do your work is it really your game?
    Yeah

2. Being a boss without understanding what the hell is going on...well the office..that's all I'm going to say.
    Its a real world dilbert office.

3. It's one thing to be an player and enjoy them. It's quite different to sell them and make them.[/QUOTE]
    Its on an entirely new business model.

I still need opinions on how to make a quality website and what are the stupid mistakes to avoid that might cause me to pay extra?

• So you're gonna hire a team for 6 months to make a game and host a website for 1000 dollars. Assuming you only hire one person, and only pay him, no person will work for 166 dollars a month full time on a pipe dream that will ultimatly wont be his.

Investors will also scoff at a 18 year old who wants a lot of money to start a company about something he has no experience in with a downpayment of only 1000 dollars.

If you're actually serious about this, please save the 1000 and start really small and work hard. I urge you to get an education if this is the path you want to go.

• @Giant Tope said: So you're gonna hire a team for 6 months to make a game and host a website for 1000 dollars. Assuming you only hire one person, and only pay him, no person will work for 166 dollars a month full time on a pipe dream that will ultimatly wont be his.

Investors will also scoff at a 18 year old who wants a lot of money to start a company about something he has no experience in with a downpayment of only 1000 dollars.

If you're actually serious about this, please save the 1000 and start really small and work hard. I urge you to get an education if this is the path you want to go.

Time to start one one of greatest david vs golaith story.One of the if not the greatest upset in history.

• $12k will not buy you a professional developer for very long, even if you go offshore and try to hire someone in a cheap country. For something like you're describing, you need investors, or partners who will share in the proceeds. (Even Telltale has outside investors.) To attract those, you need to be believable and sell your idea with specifics and how it will generate income eventually. This is no longer 1999 when people were willing to invest lots of money in really silly things.

If you use all your money to accomplish this, who will pay your living expenses while it is being created?

Start smaller. Set attainable goals. If you accomplish that, you will have more confidence, and a track record you can point to when people ask what you can do.

• If you figure out how to do this, please let me know how. I've got this bridge that I've been trying to sell for years.

• Look, this is exactly what I mean when I said kids these days don't know what game development entails. It's not some easy walk in the park. It's like walking into Mordor. One does not simply do that. You have to work hard for it, most likely even by yourself. And even then the payout might not be high.

If you're going in with a mentality of "this is going to be easy", then I suggest you quit now. However, if you are willing to accept that it will be very hard and that you will likely fail, and you still want to give it all you got, then I would say go for it, give it your 100%. If you're going to do something, no matter if you're going to fail or not, you should still give it your best shot. Yes, the chances are low you're going to succeed, but you should try anyway, even if by yourself.

However, it will NOT be easy. It will be hard. A lot of people will be sceptical. But you know what? If you're going to let that all affect you, you're better off quitting now. It's never going to get easier.

• I just want it to be completed success or failure is not important.I need advice on creating a site cheap. What mistakes to avoid when I hire someone to create the site. Logo design is another important thing.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

$1,000 isn't going to get you far if you don't intend to do any of the actual work yourself. I can tell you from experience, it's pretty impossible to get a loan with little to no credit history (which, as you're 18, most likely fits you), and no experience. If you're looking for investors, you're going to need a playable prototype. The Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight session cost Double Fine $350,000 this year, and that's only for a prototype made in two weeks. Granted, that's for five prototype games. But, even if you split that sum up into five parts, that's still $70,000. You couldn't sell that prototype as a game afterward, as it's unpolished, not bug tested, or even play tested. There's likely things in the game that work well, and things that don't. You'd need to pay more to get a team to finish the game. Also, Double Fine is an established company (and Tim Schafer himself is an established and respected developer), it's going to be much harder for you to find an investor with no previous games under your belt.

If you only have $1000 to make a game, and you really are determined to do it, you're going to have to do the majority yourself. You might be able to pay someone to do some music or some art, but it's going to be very little, since $1000 isn't going to get you very far. A programmer is going to cost you more than that (especially if you intend for them to program the entire game), so you are likely going to have to learn scripting yourself for a program such as Adventure Game Studio or RPG Maker.

If you're thinking of hiring someone to do a website too, that's going to bite into your funds even more. I suggest, instead, using a free template you like from one of the many template sites on the internet, and using that. And, I also suggest not putting up a website until you have something concrete. The website should come after you have a prototype up and running, or at least until after you have a script and gameplay outline and some concept art.

• @TheBigGuns said: I just want it to be completed success or failure is not important.I need advice on creating a site cheap. What mistakes to avoid when I hire someone to create the site. Logo design is another important thing.

Asking for advice here and there isn't so bad, but really dude if you want any kind of success you need to be able to get out there and find these kind of things out for yourself.
    Trawl the net, find communities that do this kind of thing, hell! Look for some books and articles on this stuff!
    The way you talk about it, you just seem to give of the impression that flinging a little dosh at someone is going to magically yield you results.

If you want success, you either need to make the substance, or be able to link it all together. Either of those require different sets of skills (with maybe a little overlap)

Me? All I care about at the moment is the making, that learning process.
    Maybe if I do make a few small games, share them around the net, get feedback, then I might think about taking it further.
    Really this is a very long term process to think about here, and unless you have a special talent and high drive, then you simply won't go anywhere for a long time. Not unless you get smart or very lucky. Research. It's important. You need to know exactly what's out there, what to do, where to go, who you need, what people want, and WHY they want it.

Even with my 3 years worth of degree-level management studies, and 15 years of gaming experience, I still can't say for sure where this industry is going to go, or what sort of games people are dying to play. But, to be honest I don't care all too much about it, as I still need to get over the hurdle of actually making something. Taking one of these ideas of mine and making something out of it.
    Talk is cheap, I know that all too well, but I'm still struggling to tame my natural personality traits of aloofness and disorganisation.
    Which is why I'm trying to make that kind of learning fun again. Taking my time learning the ins and outs of an engine, while trying to narrow down one of the ideas into something I could make into a plan.

Then, and only then, am I going to make something.

Oh and if you do want to read more into this, go read some books on game design. I know I need to (I only have Level-Up by Scott Rodgers. A nice little intro book, but I need to go deeper! (Bwoooooooaaaaahhh!))
    Then do some business reading, article reading. Lots of gaming reading!
    You need that ability to map out the environment and connect it all up. Otherwise your just wasting your time here... -_-

One thing I do agree with is to play Bad games, and read into the history of bad video game development processes, and general business failures. Keep them in your head so you can try to avoid those situations should you get the chance to do something.

(Oh yeah. There is something squishy in this head of mine! XD (just a shame I'm dirt poor and have no like minded connections :( (my own fault though. I'm a lone wolf type of guy. Too much internal feels and thinks for most people. Not quite ready for getting out there tbh. Not until I get a good level of self-confidence that's for sure... -_-))

Edit: tl/dr version: You essentially sound like the GMC equivalent of a n00b going onto a forum and being all like "imma gonna make my own MMORPG. Tell me how to maeks MMORPG!!"
    Not only is it pretty dumb, but it's also kind of insulting to the people who deeply care about all this stuff. So you better wise up! Jane Wise! XD

• Wasn't counter strike made in no budget also another day the same dream was made in only 6 days http://www.molleindustria.org/everydaythesamedream/everydaythesamedream.html .One of the best examples of a no budget game is KatawaShoujo

This discussion has been closed.