User Avatar Image

I feel like I've been scammed

posted by susanne20 on - last edited - Viewed by 524 users

Why isn't there a warning in the beginning of the game that says: "In episode 3, you lose four original characters in a very short time and there is nothing you can do about it, so it doesn't matter what you say to those characters during the game at all."

I actually had to search for a walkthrough of the game when I was playing episode 3 to find out whether or not I was doing something wrong.

Turns out that even though you have 4 dialog options at your disposal, there is nothing you can do to save those characters. And the walkthrough says that the game isn’t even half way through.

What's the motive to continue playing? All the dialog choices I made previously did not matter at all.

The game should have just ended with the RV driving off a cliff and killing everyone. This is really disappointing to say the least. I just uninstalled the game without completing episode 3.

How can a game go from being SO GOOD to completely down the drain in less than half an hour?

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @susanne20 said: Why isn't there a warning in the beginning of the game that says: "In episode 3, you lose four original characters in a very short time and there is nothing you can do about it, so it doesn't matter what you say to those characters during the game at all."

I actually had to search for a walkthrough of the game when I was playing episode 3 to find out whether or not I was doing something wrong.

Turns out that even though you have 4 dialog options at your disposal, there is nothing you can do to save those characters. And the walkthrough says that the game isn’t even half way through.

What's the motive to continue playing? All the dialog choices I made previously did not matter at all.

The game should have just ended with the RV driving off a cliff and killing everyone. This is really disappointing to say the least. I just uninstalled the game without completing episode 3.

How can a game go from being SO GOOD to completely down the drain in less than half an hour?

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. ;)

• The Walking Dead would be lame and unplayable if it were all sunshine and rainbows.

• @susanne20 said: Why isn't there a warning in the beginning of the game that says: "In episode 3, you lose four original characters in a very short time and there is nothing you can do about it, so it doesn't matter what you say to those characters during the game at all."

So you didn't like the game... you're probably not the only one. I just don't get why you are posting this on a Telltale - Walking Dead forum where most people are fans of the game or studio.
    Are you trying to convince us? Not gonna work...
    Are you trying to make people angry? Not gonna work...
    Are you trying to complaint to Telltale? Send them an e-mail...

This whole post is redundant, but the fact that you are pissed off about main characters dying, tells me you're new to the Walking Dead universe. Have you read the comics, watch the series? Main characters die all the time, new characters are introduced a few stories later.

Get over yourself. Don't like the game? Play something else.

• Just because a lot of the original cast is gone doesn't mean nothing you did doesn't matter. Ben, Kenny, and Clem are still around.

• I feel what you're saying and I was very depressed by the end of episode 3 and considering what was the point of continuing. Still you should continue to play because the ending is gold. Don't miss out on that, its worth pushing yourself through it!

• @susanne20 said: What's the motive to continue playing? All the dialog choices I made previously did not matter at all.

I feel you. Initially I thought the same.
    But over the time and after reading some arguments from the other side I have to say maybe I just expected too much from my choices. That is totally TTG fault by the way. Would have been better to put less emphazizis on the whole "choice" thing and put more accent on the ACTUAL full features of the game (story, characterdevelopment, voice acting etc.).

So, while it is somewhat true what you are saying you have to see it another way. Your choices mattered, until the game decided they wouldn't anymore. You still had carley or doug with you. Only up to a certain point, sure, but you had one of them by your choice. And you had those characters act to you the way you choose, again up until the game choose to take them away.

In the end, the choices are only a 'temporary variation'. Nothing you do or say is permanent nor changing anything in the long run.

• So you think because a few characters died and won't remember anything you said, there's no point in playing the game? You may as well not play it all, it's not like the characters are going to remember anything after you turn the console off.

I'm surprised a single thing swayed you from the game entirely. You don't judge a game based on one category. If I'm playing a game and the graphics are sub-par, or the music is lacking i don't immediately uninstall it. If I'm enjoying the experience, I'll keep playing. Your choices do not have as much of an impact as some would have expected, but they do have an impact. You're expecting massive changes at every choice you make, and you won't get that. Even a big game like Mass Effect 3 barely takes any of your choices you ever made in the past 3 games into account. They're all thrown out of the window, and you get a choice of ending A, B, or C(D with DLC).

I'm sorry that you can't enjoy the brilliance that this game offers, but you're one fish in an endless sea.

• Why are people so obsessed with deciding everything that goes on in this game? Telltale say the story is tailored to your choices, which in a way, it is. As major or minor as those choices are. The story is still great, and I still felt immersed. People were expecting way too much on the choice side of things, and realistically we wouldn't get a game like that until like 2 console generations away, and that sort of game would take years and years to develop.

Edit: And yeah if you are upset about characters dying, you should probably stop playing. It's frequent in The Walking Dead universe, with important characters dying suddenly. No character is safe, except for most likely Clementine (the backlash would be too much) in the game and probably Carl in the comics and Rick/Carl in the TV show (doubt they will kill of Rick in the TV show, at least not in the next couple of seasons, both of them are safe until then).

• @susanne20 said: Well, I bought the game because I watched a gameplay video for about 10 minutes and the first thing it said was this:

"This game series adapts to the choices you make. The story is tailored by how you play."

But in reality it is a very linear game. It merely gives an illusion of having a choice. Pretty much the only choice you have is getting to choose which dialog audio files you want to hear and that is it. This is false advertising and I don't think I'll ever buy anything from telltalegames again.

Why couldn't the developers the honest about it instead of lying?

Thanks for wasting my time and money and happy new year, I guess...

Do you even know what "tailored" means?

It sure doesn't mean "THERE ARE A HUNDRED DIFFERENT STORYLINES AND ONE THOUSAND DIFFERENT ENDINGS"

• @ZacTB said: Why are people so obsessed with deciding everything that goes on in this game? Telltale say the story is tailored to your choices, which in a way, it is.

Yes and no. Sure they also mention the word "tailored", which could be interpreted in many ways. But they also said and continue saying, quote: Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make.

Again, the way they did it within the game was OK. But they need to stop their marketing trying to pretend something like Heavy Rain in regards of choices. That is simply not the case. You could maybeeeeee with a lot of imagination and argumentation say that choices are 'profound' (I disagree), but absolutely not lasting.

Add Comment