User Avatar Image

So who felt sorry for Ben?

posted by DatDude on - last edited - Viewed by 235 users

I kept him alive after episode 4, and he had a really nice speech when fighting with Kenny.

He was basically saying that he never got to say goodbye to his parents (with his voice breaking and almost in a tear like state), and that at least kenny got to say goodbye to his.

He was a fuck up. I think he knew that pretty much as well. But I still forgave him, regardless of all the shit that came with him.:(

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Me..I remember,listening the unused lines for episode..2? I think it was..And they we're talking about what happend Ben before a bit..I wished that they left it in the game.I don't really remember what there was,but it was horrible.Oh..I found it :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djj5wqSrNxA

Maybe people wouldn't hate Ben so much..

• I felt bad for him. Can you imagine being in his shoes? Knowing that you got people killed, emotionally damaged people permanently, thinking how useless you are, never doing anything right, constantly putting people in danger...plus the deal with his family. Poor kid... i don't blame him for wanting to die.

• Ben was an asshole that got people killed due to his actions. I didn't feel bad for his death, and Kenny should have left him there for the walkers and save himself.

It was suicide for Kenny.

• It's tough he indirectly killed chuck and kat. But what really bugs me is that he practically murdered Carly by keeping his mouth shut to save his own ass. The fact that lee never blames Ben for her death puzzles me. Also Lilly kills one person and gets thrown to the side. But Bens actions kills 3 people and he gets a slap on the wrist! Tough call.

• @Lego said: Also Lilly kills one person and gets thrown to the side. But Bens actions kills 3 people and he gets a slap on the wrist! Tough call.

Yeah but there's a huge difference there. Ben performed actions that indirectly led to death without intentions to do so, and Lilly directly performed murder and wanted to do it. Plus i think it's more Carley's fault she got killed, not Ben's. If she had stayed quiet, Lilly would have eventually killed Ben if he didn't fess up or blame Carley, and probably kill him even if he did. She only killed Carley because she got tired of her crap and took a stand.

• I initially felt sad about the kid but following the end of the series I came to realize how much I hated him. He had so little redeeming qualities, he was dumb, pissy, a coward, a walking liability... I would have felt more sympathetic towards him if he wasn't always giving me lip for no reason.

"Ben I agree, you should tell Kenny. Just not now, not while we're on a super dangerous mission."
    "Yeah, I feeeeel you bro."

Yeah, yeah he's just a kid blablah. I'm 17, a year younger than Ben, and I can honestly say that in those situations I wouldn't be as dumb as Ben. It's true that I don't know what I'd be like, I'd probably be a mess, but I know I wouldn't:

A. Take the axe out of the door
    B. Wouldn't make deals with bandits by myself
    C. Wouldn't confess to a crime right when zombies are moments away from killing us

I'd also at least try to be respectful, especially after everything that I done. Literally the only time I liked Ben was when he talked back to Kenny. Every other time he was sitting there quietly killing everyone.

"Ben, where's Clementine?!"
    "HOW SHOULD I KNOW! God."

• @Mornai said: Yeah but there's a huge difference there. Ben performed actions that indirectly led to death without intentions to do so, and Lilly directly performed murder and wanted to do it. Plus i think it's more Carley's fault she got killed, not Ben's. If she had stayed quiet, Lilly would have eventually killed Ben if he didn't fess up or blame Carley, and probably kill him even if he did. She only killed Carley because she got tired of her crap and took a stand.

She killed Carly because the truth hurt. Lol yes Lilly did perform murder. But Ben being a coward and not telling the truth and letting others take the bullet for you is also bad. Ben is so bad at one point Cleminte tells lee your leaving him to watch me. Lol basically a 9 year old realized how much of a coward he was and that she had more guts then him.

• @CarScar said: I initially felt sad about the kid but following the end of the series I came to realize how much I hated him. He had so little redeeming qualities, he was dumb, pissy, a coward, a walking liability... I would have felt more sympathetic towards him if he wasn't always giving me lip for no reason.

"Ben I agree, you should tell Kenny. Just not now, not while we're on a super dangerous mission."
    "Yeah, I feeeeel you bro."

Yeah, yeah he's just a kid blablah. I'm 17, a year younger than Ben, and I can honestly say that in those situations I wouldn't be as dumb as Ben. It's true that I don't know what I'd be like, I'd probably be a mess, but I know I wouldn't:

A. Take the axe out of the door
    B. Wouldn't make deals with bandits by myself
    C. Wouldn't confess to a crime right when zombies are moments away from killing us

I'd also at least try to be respectful, especially after everything that I done. Literally the only time I liked Ben was when he talked back to Kenny. Every other time he was sitting there quietly killing everyone.

"Ben, where's Clementine?!"
    "HOW SHOULD I KNOW! God."

1. He had indirectly caused the death of multiple people. That was weighing down his conscience. I'm sure you don't know how you would react to that.
    2. He has been treated like shit ever since he joined the group, with the only person not yelling at him all the time was a little girl.
    3. You liked him when he talked back to Kenny, but not to you, after you've been almost as bad as Kenny was to him?
    4. He made that deal with the bandits to keep the group safe. He didn't tell anyone about it, because everything he had done so far had made everyone shout about kicking him out of the group. If he had come to the group sooner Lily might have kicked him out or shot him. Even he was smart enough to know that.

• @anonymau5 said: 4. He made that deal with the bandits to keep the group safe. He didn't tell anyone about it, because everything he had done so far had made everyone shout about kicking him out of the group. If he had come to the group sooner Lily might have kicked him out or shot him. Even he was smart enough to know that.

Actually in episode 3 he states he made the deal because the bandits said they had his friend. He kept it going to keep the group safe.

• @anonymau5 said: 1. He had indirectly caused the death of multiple people. That was weighing down his conscience. I'm sure you don't know how you would react to that.

Those people died due to his own:

A. Cowardice (Carley / Doug / Charles)
    B. Stupidity (Brie)
    C. Mistakes (Duck / Katjaa)

He can feel as bad as he wants but he still killed those people. It's true I don't know how I'd react but all I know is I would try my damnest for events like those not to occur again and I'd imagine I'd be remorseful, rather then randomly be pissed.
    2. He has been treated like shit ever since he joined the group, with the only person not yelling at him all the time was a little girl.
    How do you know this? Lilly probably treated him like shit only because she treats pretty much everyone like that. It's canon that Carley / Doug both cared about him (hell one of them died defending him and the other took a bullet for him). There's absolutely no way Katjaa treated him like shit, I'd imagine she would be somewhat motherly towards him, like she is to everyone (especially towards the kids). Duck, while being stupid, is also by no means mean. Clem obviously liked him, I actually question if she had a small crush on him. My Lee was not mean to him too. I'd imagine Kenny and Ben didn't communicate much.
    3. You liked him when he talked back to Kenny, but not to you, after you've been almost as bad as Kenny was to him?
    Eh, I don't know about you but my Lee was pretty understanding and caring towards Ben despite knowing the truth. Worst thing I said to him was that if he put Clementine in danger again there'd be trouble (little did I know he'd put Clem in danger twice more in the same episode :rolleyes:). Don't get me wrong I don't think he deserved to die, I just don't like him and feel very little sympathy towards him.
    4. He made that deal with the bandits to keep the group safe. He didn't tell anyone about it, because everything he had done so far had made everyone shout about kicking him out of the group. If he had come to the group sooner Lily might have kicked him out or shot him. Even he was smart enough to know that.
    Only person who would be pissed is Lilly, literally everyone (except maybe Kenny) would want him to stay and defend him. He should have at least told Lee then the whole assault would not have happened. Instead he holds it in. Maybe it wouldn't be the greatest idea while on the roadside when Lilly reached her breaking point, he was afraid of being kicked out. Maybe Lilly would have even shot him, but if he did tell the truth there I'd have so much more respect for him.

My point being is that I don't like how Ben is acquitted for being a coward, a jerk, a liability, and a dumb ass simply because he is 18.

Add Comment