User Avatar Image

I feel like I've been scammed

posted by susanne20 on - last edited - Viewed by 332 users

Why isn't there a warning in the beginning of the game that says: "In episode 3, you lose four original characters in a very short time and there is nothing you can do about it, so it doesn't matter what you say to those characters during the game at all."

I actually had to search for a walkthrough of the game when I was playing episode 3 to find out whether or not I was doing something wrong.

Turns out that even though you have 4 dialog options at your disposal, there is nothing you can do to save those characters. And the walkthrough says that the game isn’t even half way through.

What's the motive to continue playing? All the dialog choices I made previously did not matter at all.

The game should have just ended with the RV driving off a cliff and killing everyone. This is really disappointing to say the least. I just uninstalled the game without completing episode 3.

How can a game go from being SO GOOD to completely down the drain in less than half an hour?

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dubesor said: Yes and no. Sure they also mention the word "tailored", which could be interpreted in many ways. But they also said and continue saying, quote: Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make.

Again, the way they did it within the game was OK. But they need to stop their marketing trying to pretend something like Heavy Rain in regards of choices. That is simply not the case. You could maybeeeeee with a lot of imagination and argumentation say that choices are 'profound' (I disagree), but absolutely not lasting.

What I find interesting is how the options that you make don't define the overall plot, like in most games (e.g. Heavy Rain, inFamous) but rather define the characters which, ultimately, is what The Walking Dead is all about. Your choices affect how you feel about almost everyone, especially Kenny and Lilly. You can argue that the choices didn't really matter but, I felt, it did matter and it had a profound effect on the players emotionally. Hell some people thought Kenny was their buddy throughout the game, some thought the complete opposite simply because of their choices.

• Cry more. In a survival scenario, your choices won't always make everything right. In reality, sometimes shit goes bad no matter what we do. Deal with it.

• The options in conversations are there to shape the story differently. Wether minor or major changes, they're there to keep you playing the game, instead of just sitting back for 40 minutes watching cutscenes before you can finally shoot something.

For example, if you choose to tell Carley, "I was thinking about you too." The game sort of changes and implies that you and Carley have been sort of involved all along... but if you stay neutral, the game just keeps going as if Carley is just another person in your group.

So you wanna go back and change things because you now know the outcome? That sounds lame.

• Just like real life, things wouldn't always go in your favor.

• @CarScar said: What I find interesting is how the options that you make don't define the overall plot, like in most games (e.g. Heavy Rain, inFamous) but rather define the characters which, ultimately, is what The Walking Dead is all about. Your choices affect how you feel about almost everyone, especially Kenny and Lilly. You can argue that the choices didn't really matter but, I felt, it did matter and it had a profound effect on the players emotionally. Hell some people thought Kenny was their buddy throughout the game, some thought the complete opposite simply because of their choices.

you hit the nail on the head:D

• Perhaps If said Cheese instead of Milk I could've saved Carley and Doug...

After all, I am God so whatever I say must happen :D

Nope. Does not work like that at all.

• I liked the game, even though it has its flaws.

• @ZacTB said: Why are people so obsessed with deciding everything that goes on in this game? Telltale say the story is tailored to your choices, which in a way, it is. As major or minor as those choices are. The story is still great, and I still felt immersed. People were expecting way too much on the choice side of things, and realistically we wouldn't get a game like that until like 2 console generations away, and that sort of game would take years and years to develop.

Those games already exist! There are games with better graphics and more choices for your character to be evil or good and that give us multiple endings and characters reacting to the things you do. The technology is already there and I feel telltale could of gave us more paths to go with different characters. I'm not saying to keep everyone alive but give up one life to save another type of thing. I hope season 2 has way different outcomes from the choices and lives you choose to save.

• The problem is that Telltale isn't a big studio that can afford working on highly complex games. They made the right decision to let all your ingame choices lead to the same ending. With that they can concentrate on the plot for the sequel without forcing the player to import any savegames from the previous game in order to let him fully absorb the TWD universe.

Add Comment