User Avatar Image

So who felt sorry for Ben?

posted by DatDude on - last edited - Viewed by 389 users

I kept him alive after episode 4, and he had a really nice speech when fighting with Kenny.

He was basically saying that he never got to say goodbye to his parents (with his voice breaking and almost in a tear like state), and that at least kenny got to say goodbye to his.

He was a fuck up. I think he knew that pretty much as well. But I still forgave him, regardless of all the shit that came with him.:(

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ben was the weakest link in the chain. When he pulled the hatchet out of that door holding back the walkers, I swear I wanted to beat him down. I struggled a bit on the pivotal choice: Save him or not. In the end, I did...Because he didn't kill Kenny's family, as much as Kenny thought so. He was a complete screw up but I had to keep the group together...He proved himself in the end. They both did. As much of an asshole Kenny had been to both Ben and myself, he faced up to his mistakes when Ben finally went off on him. And Ben finally did do something right. I respect the hell out of both of them.

    Ben was a complete mess but he did what he thought was needed. Everyone did.

  • @CarScar said: Those people died due to his own:

    A. Cowardice (Carley / Doug / Charles)
    B. Stupidity (Brie)
    C. Mistakes (Duck / Katjaa)

    He can feel as bad as he wants but he still killed those people.

    He didn't kill any of those people. Killing someone requires direct involvement in bringing their life to an end. He made mistakes and people ended up dead. That's regrettable but it isn't the same as killing them. If the player makes a choice to save Doug, do they kill Carley? No. The walkers do it.

    And Katjaa fell by her own hand. That was all on her. Kenny powered through. She was weak and selfish.

  • "Kill" is a big word for what Ben did. He didn't WANT to kill and didn't know the consequences of what he was doing. The only thing bad thing I can say about him is that he shouldn't have told Kenny what happened at the motor inn.
    The characters that have "died because of Ben" didn't. Chuck and Doug died like heroes, and you should respect their sacrifice. Carley's death is only Lilly's fault. Duck was bit. Katjaa made a choice, she took her life because she couldn't lve without her son. Brie's death is also her own fault.

  • @Kaserkin said: he shouldn't have told Kenny what happened at the motor inn.

    Why?

  • I kept him alive, but didn't felt sorry for him. He was responsible for the death of Kenny's family and failed to protect Clementine. He actually put the whole group in danger. So, as much as I liked him, I was fine with what happend to him.

  • It was a mistake. He shouldn't have done it because Kenny wasn't ready to accept it. He should have waited.

  • While Ben may not have directly killed anyone, the deaths ARE a direct result of his actions. If it weren't for him, the gorup would be in a much different place in Episode 5 than it wound up (if that is something better or worse is up for debate). During Crawford though? The stuff he did there goes beyond just fucking up. Not only did he let the walkers in, which results in someone being killed and possibly someone else being left behind, he spills his guts about Kat and Duck while the walkers he let in are breaking down the door.[I][/I] Not only did his earlier actions (only days before, mind you) lead to the deaths of Kenny's family, but he tells the man that as the walkers he allowed inside are about to kill everyone. It would have been so much better if he could have waited 20 goddamn minutes til everyone got back to the mansion! Tell Kenny there if it's so urgent, but not when shit is hitting the fan!

  • @Ygdrasel said: He didn't kill any of those people. Killing someone requires direct involvement in bringing their life to an end. He made mistakes and people ended up dead. That's regrettable but it isn't the same as killing them. If the player makes a choice to save Doug, do they kill Carley? No. The walkers do it.

    And Katjaa fell by her own hand. That was all on her. Kenny powered through. She was weak and selfish.

    Cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing).
    Put an end to or cause the failure or defeat of (something).


    Ben caused the death of all those people, killed is a much broader term then murder. Would it really even matter if I said "indirectly caused the death" instead of "killed."

    Katjaa killed herself because she succumb to the pain of losing a child. A pain no parent should ever have to go through. Ben is the reason why Duck was bitten, the reason she felt that pain and killed herself.

    "... I love our son more than life itself..."

  • @Psyconix said: I kept him alive, but didn't felt sorry for him. He was responsible for the death of Kenny's family

    Ben did not clamp a walker's teeth down onto Duck. Ben did not pull the trigger when Katjaa put a gun to her own head.

    Duck's death was a tragedy that could have happened just as well without Ben. Katjaa's death was a suicide and she ALONE is responsible. And wasn't Duck bitten before Ben ever showed up? Kat and Kenny said he wasn't but they aren't the most reliable sources in that scenario...

    @Kaserkin: Ben would have been waiting forever. Kenny never would have accepted it. It was only via Ben telling him (or, more accurately, the resulting argument and Ben's outburst) that Kenny calmed his shit down and saw some reason. :p

  • @CarScar said: Ben caused the death of all those people, killed is a much broader term then murder. Would it really even matter if I said "indirectly caused the death" instead of "killed."

    Katjaa killed herself because she succumb to the pain of losing a child. A pain no parent should ever have to go through. Ben is the reason why Duck was bitten, the reason she felt that pain and killed herself.

    "... I love our son more than life itself..."

    Oh, so it's cause and effect then? So where is the causality?

    The cause of Duck's death was a walker bite. Ben is not the reason for that bite any more than Clementine was the reason for Lee's. Shit happens. How, exactly, did Ben's actions make that walker bite Duck? They didn't. Walkers bite people. No causality there.

    The cause of Kat's death was a bullet flying into her brain. That was her choice and had nothing to do with Ben. Kenny lost a child too. He survived. Why? He chose to. Kat's death was the result of her own choice and action. No causality there either.

Add Comment