User Avatar Image

For those who chose Doug over Carley. Explain why.

posted by Abecedario on - last edited - Viewed by 4.5K users

Well, it seems we are a small % of people who actually decided to help Doug instead of Carley. I mainly decided not to save her because she seemed to be the only one who knew about Lee being a murderer so I considered her a threat, I know many people decided to save her because she was "hot", but come on guys, she confessed she was in love with doug.

It seems I may have missed a nice character but Doug ended up being a really cool guy.

"Wait. I know you know everything about this flashlight, I mean if you know anything about how it got broken"

I am sure a similar thread has been created before, but come on, what else are we supposed to talk about while we wait? :D

128 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I liked Doug. He was my pal.

That's not to say I didn't like Carley but...I couldn't save both and...Well...Fuck.

Ultimately, it comes down to an exchange we had after the fact.

Doug: Why did you choose me?

Lee: I didn't.

• I chose Carley because I'm a feminist.... well, more like sexist ( no offence guys )
    I mean, I find it kinda boring and redundant seeing guys always alive and always holding firearms... which lead me into saving her because it's very rare to see a woman that can handle a gun during a zombie apocalypse. You guys who saved Doug are very ungrateful, she saved your ass twice ( and Clementine if you failed to protect her in the pharmacy ). Another example is on episode 2 ( if you saved her ) when she killed Travis/David to save you ( lol.. Doug just knocked Travis/David in the head ) and when she shot Andy's ear to distract him from killing you. Another one is on episode three which was very useful and made Doug looked like trash, is when she kissed Lee and gave you guys the option to tell the group about your past leading into POSITIVE RESULTS later on. By the way, she killed MORE bandits than Doug could ever will.

P.S You guys hating her because she made a mistake on putting the batteries are very SHALLOW. I mean, everybody makes stupid mistakes sometimes, which I highly doubt that you guys hadn't.

• I chose Doug for a variety of reasons, first one being the radio sequence :p the others being that after Carley saves your life the first time, she puts it in danger every other time.

She shoots a walker that Lee could've handled and causes more to find you, she thinks about going guns a blaze at the motel which would've certainly got you killed, and later thinks "hmm, I'm going to put my ammo in my purse, and leave my purse out of my reach, that's a great plan!", so I showed her how good of a plan it was and went for the guy who kept a good lookout, had great critical thinking with the televisions, and didn't know my secret :p

• @ZombieBlaster said: I chose Carley because I'm a feminist.... well, more like sexist

Aren't those the same thing?

• @Ygdrasel said: Aren't those the same thing?

not exactly the same thing because feminist is more about the equality of women to men while sexist is about despising a certain gender.

• @ZombieBlaster said: not exactly the same thing because feminist is more about the equality of women to men while sexist is about despising a certain gender.

Yeah...Whatever you say.

• @Gman5852 said: I chose Doug for a variety of reasons, first one being the radio sequence :p the others being that after Carley saves your life the first time, she puts it in danger every other time.

She shoots a walker that Lee could've handled and causes more to find you, she thinks about going guns a blaze at the motel which would've certainly got you killed, and later thinks "hmm, I'm going to put my ammo in my purse, and leave my purse out of my reach, that's a great plan!", so I showed her how good of a plan it was and went for the guy who kept a good lookout, had great critical thinking with the televisions, and didn't know my secret :p

If you were really Lee and I'm Carley, I wouldn't save you and your group in the first place with that attitude.... just sayin' :D

• I saved Carly because she was good with a gun~ it had nothing to do with her being "hot". I could care less about that actually. I was looking from a strictly survival side of things. She had saved Lee or Clem' lives 2 times at that point.
    Besides, I played thru with Doug and he ends up costing me my friendship with Kenny~ so what the hell..

• @Ygdrasel said: Aren't those the same thing?

Nah, a sexist is just one step away from racist.

A feminist, as I understand it, merely works to advance the cause of gender equality.

Oh, and I let Doug die because his VA annoys me.

• I saved Carley out of gratitude and respect for her selflessness.
    She rushes out of the drugstore's safety to save me, Clem, etc. (complete strangers).
    She stands up to Larry and Lilly who don't want to take in strangers.
    She opposes Larry killing Duck.
    She saved Clem from the bathroom walker.
    She keeps your secret. In a way, this saves your life again because it prevents your past from being used as an excuse to kick you into the streets full of walkers.
    She volunteers to go with me to rescue Glenn.

Did Carley being a pretty woman had something to do with my choice at a subconscious level? Probably, I don't know. My first instinct was to save whoever saved me. This was the same reason I tried to save Shawn over Duck at Hershel's farm because him giving me a ride saved Clem and my life.

Like others pointed out, she had a lot more screen time, and all that screen time was mostly about her helping me. It's hard to dismiss that.

Personally, I was not impressed with Doug at all. Carley haters like to criticize her for the battery thing while ignoring the good things she did. Seriously, who here hasn't done something that's stupid and minor? They also ignore that Doug doesn't act very smart either. I mean he suggests going outside and taking a look hoping a flimsy store gate will be enough to hold back walkers. The only reason the pack of walkers didn't see you in plain sight was because TTG writers willed it so and made chilling out side the drugstore necessary to forward the story. Logically, it didn't make sense and was a pretty stupid and dangerous move. I also don't recall Doug standing up for the newcomers during Larry's tirade.

Add Comment