User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ...and some people wonder if Thief 4 will see the light of day or is just the latest major vaporware project since Duke Nukem Forever (although its not even close to reaching the time it took for that game to be released).

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Reading through this thread, there is a distinct pattern.

Those of us who have been here and were posting for the past 2 years tend to fall on the side of "not looking likely" in regards to a KQ release. And then there is a whole crowd of names I've never seen before posting on about how TT *must* be working on it....

I don't know if it was BT's offer of QFI (which any self respecting ass in this forum should have already bought by now - we are talking like $15 people), but holy hell, where did all these TT fan's come from? When The Walking Dead released, did they flood out of that forum and look for new bandwagons to jump on?

For all the new people, I encourage you to go back and read the same pedantic arguments we have been having for two years. Here are the highlights:

* TT can't make a good KQ game based on *anything* they have previously released
    * KQ 8 *IS* a numbered sequel in the KQ universe, not a spin-off, not an unofficial game, etc
    * The bridle in KQ4 is one of the most obscure and badly designed puzzles ever, and if you disagree I will personally haunt you
    * The episodic style is not good for a game in the vein of KQ, which relies on large, open-ended worlds, and exploration (not 3 screens, 2 interactive characters, and 5 puzzles)

More ambiguously, it was generally decided that:
    * TT, or anyone else who tackles the KQ license, should just reboot the series. KQ8 would be a confusing and difficult to follow-up.
    * Either KQ5 or 6 was the best game yet, depends on if you like custard pies and anal retentive owls or disney songs better.

and finally, my own thought:
    * It really doesn't matter if they reboot it, if it is episodic, or anything else above. Because if they somehow DO manage to release this game, it will fail in the eyes of 95% of the KQ fans here anyways. Just like you can't take a lucasarts game and shove it into an agi text parsar world, you also can't take a series that relies on difficulty, death, and complex puzzles and shove it into the current TT mold.

BT - if you ever have to give a free version of QFI out, change the main character to a fat douchebag wearing a shirt that says, "cheap prick". Also, make it so that they die every 10 minutes if they don't type in, "get on knees and suck off telltale".

• Hahah, man, I'm working on the sprite-set for that version of QFI right now! All credit to you!

Bt

• @exo said:

BT - if you ever have to give a free version of QFI out, change the main character to a fat douchebag wearing a shirt that says, "cheap prick". Also, make it so that they die every 10 minutes if they don't type in, "get on knees and suck off telltale".

HAHAHAHAHA! I love it. We could probably just edit the sprites already made for Jan....

• @exo said: I don't know if it was BT's offer of QFI (which any self respecting ass in this forum should have already bought by now - we are talking like $15 people), but holy hell, where did all these TT fan's come from? When The Walking Dead released, did they flood out of that forum and look for new bandwagons to jump on?

Well, speaking for myself, I've been following Telltale for a long time. I just didn't bother posting on the forums before The Walking Dead. I don't post on a lot of internet forums in general. I started with TWD because (A) I found myself with more time on my hands when I started playing it and (B) it's unlike previous Telltale titles in being the sort of story that really encourages discussion and debate.

More to the point, so what if people are just jumping on because of The Walking Dead? Isn't it a good thing that more people are getting interested in adventure games? This is the kind of attitude that's kept the genre marginalized for the last fifteen years. Any time someone new comes along who hasn't played an outdated game from the '80s, there are too many fans who just say, "you're not allowed in our secret clubhouse."

@exo said: TT can't make a good KQ game based on *anything* they have previously released

That's insane. Telltale has built its whole company on licensed games. Including the revival of series from LucasArts' golden age of adventure games like Sam & Max and Monkey Island. And, while The Walking Dead is an obvious exception, most of their games have been based on light-hearted fantasy worlds, just like King's Quest is. Frankly, I can't think of any game developer in the industry today that would be a more perfect fit for a new King's Quest game.

@exo said: KQ 8 *IS* a numbered sequel in the KQ universe, not a spin-off, not an unofficial game, etc

It's actually *NOT* a numbered sequel. The official title is King's Quest: Mask of Eternity, not King's Quest 8. But I take it that your point is that MoE is official KQ canon. Which is, sadly, true. I really wish we could all just pretend it never happened. But for now, we have to assume that MoE is actually canonical.

@exo said: The episodic style is not good for a game in the vein of KQ, which relies on large, open-ended worlds, and exploration (not 3 screens, 2 interactive characters, and 5 puzzles)

The same could have been said of Monkey Island, and yet it made the transition to episodic games just fine. Just because the series has traditionally had longer stories in a time when game developers were willing to invest bigger budgets in adventure games is no reason to think it can't be made episodic. Frankly, "3 screens, 2 interactive characters, and 5 puzzles" sounds to me like a far more entertaining adventure game than Mask of Eternity.

@exo said: It really doesn't matter if they reboot it, if it is episodic, or anything else above. Because if they somehow DO manage to release this game, it will fail in the eyes of 95% of the KQ fans here anyways.

There's a good chance that that's true. Which is sad. But unfortunately, there are a lot of fans who are so stuck in the past they can't enjoy a new game that isn't riddled with the kinds of horrible design flaws most of us were glad to leave behind decades ago but are now, for some reason, remembered fondly based purely on nostalgia. The way I see it, that's their loss. The rest of us will enjoy experiencing a classic King's Quest tale without the frustration of dying every five minutes because there was a pixel we missed five hours earlier in the game.

• @magodesky said:

That's insane. Telltale has built its whole company on licensed games. Including the revival of series from LucasArts' golden age of adventure games like Sam & Max and Monkey Island. And, while The Walking Dead is an obvious exception, most of their games have been based on light-hearted fantasy worlds, just like King's Quest is. Frankly, I can't think of any game developer in the industry today that would be a more perfect fit for a new King's Quest game.

To add to that, a ton of Walking Dead fans were saying similar things before Telltale's Walking Dead came out: because Telltale was known for light-hearted adventure games, they wouldn't be able to make a game to do TWD justice. We all know how that turned out.

• The reason many believe that Telltale can't produce a quality KQ game because of their past titles is because of the idea that their past titles are nothing like King's Quest and King's Quest will never work in TT's formula. We're not talking about story tone and plot, we're talking game puzzle and world mechanics and functionality. TT is actually good at storywriting for the most part.

Also, The same cannot be said for Tales. Tales works in episodic format very well because Monkey Island already has chapters in each game. also, many of the people working on Tales worked on the original games. Also again, Monkey Island is not King's Quest. Have you even played King's Quest? Any of them? MOE doesn't really count in this discussion. Say what you want about bad game designs, many of those things that you seem to hate are what made King's Quest what it was and what made fans love it for years. You mess with that it's not going to be pretty.

• I (being a man who has played all of the kings quests), feel that kings quest could possibly be an episodic game. Imagine, if you will, the kingdom of Daventry fully available to the player at the beginning of the first episode. Where the episodes are not separate areas (unlike Tales of Monkey Island, where the location changed in each episode), but instead continuations of the story. Sierra did this in the game "Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist". The entire town of Coarsegold was available to the player at the start, but each chapter was a problem/epidemic that Freddy had to solve with what was already there. It worked very well in that sierra game and I imagine it can work with a new Kings Quest game.

Telltale's game could never be the original Kings Quest. It would undoubtedly be different than the previous kings quest games. However, honestly the Kings Quest we all know and love, changed through the course of it's saga. After the first game many changes were made: one game had real time (4), a few games changed their protagonist (3,4,7), the text parser was dropped for a mouse based gui (4-7), the game's story became more linear than just 'find three things', one added an annoying owl helper (I use the word helper loosely)(5). These are just some of the examples of how the game evolved over time. If Telltale were to make a Kings Quest episodic series, it would simply be another change over time. Telltale has not failed me yet, and if they make a Kings Quest game I have no doubt it would do sierra proud.

• It wasn't all good progress, though. It eventually evolved for the worse. KQ7, and to a greater extend KQ8, were not improvements to the series in my opinion (despite the fact that I enjoyed KQ8).

• I don't think they're working on it.
    True, Telltale doesn't reveal too much about upcoming games, but Fables hasn't been nearly as secretive as King's Quest until now. We know for example that Mike Stemmle is handling Fables, he also posted in the dedicated forum as soon as the section was opened, more than a year ago.
    No designer/writer/producer has ever posted anything about King's Quest.

This discussion has been closed.