User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 127.5K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @coolsome said: ...I was.

Snapshot_20121225_12_zpsadb795a5.jpg

Do you live in your mom’s basement?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@WarpSpeed said: You're not alone. I was also gone for the entire period he was back. At least we got another Amazon Queen installment. (Go look at that if you haven't already.)

Woo! On it!

@WarpSpeed said: In other news, I've been staring at screens full of hexadecimal numbers all day, but I think I found the problem I was looking for, so I am feeling proud of myself. At least until I check on the process tomorrow to see if it blew up overnight.

It's a good feeling when your efforts finally pay off. I remember being a teenager and being able to think in hex and octal... I've gotten dumber since then.

@WarpSpeed said: I do great and motivated deeds in the tide and leave with no sense of achievement at all.

Chin up, man. Maybe time to polish up the resume? ;)

• Why did I spend all day making this-

kok.png

-instead of working on Ravenwood.

• I had the idea for an adventure story about a group of young men and women who set off on a voyage to retrieve all the pieces of a map which will lead them to a massive fortune in plundered gold hidden away on a lost island, and right on their tails is a ruthless pirate and two captains, one Spanish and one English.

Any opinions?

• That was my thought.

My honest opinion is that unless you're planning something silly (which is perfectly okay) you should stay away from maps leading to treasure. Or buried treasure, actually. Robert Louis Stevenson kinda came up with all that jazz and whenever I read it, I feel the same way I do about fantasy novels that veer a bit too close to Tolkien (you know the type. Big bad wants to take over the world and heroes have to stop him. It takes something special to make that work).

If you want to have treasure, why not have the heroes also be pirates and find out about the last Spanish gold convoy or something going across the Atlantic. But they're not the only ones who learned this information and then have to race against rival pirate captains to capture the prize first. Or maybe the galleons already sunk and they need to track down the last known survivor to get the approximate location of the disaster... and possibly recruit (or kidnap) an expert pearl diver to get the gold.

But I've never held with maps in a serious story. If a pirate got some gold, they'd spend it, not bury it. And if they buried it, they'd probably just remember where they put it rather than make an easily decipherable map to their stash. There are ways around this, of course. The first Pirates of the Caribbean had the twist that all the pirates were cursed and stashed the stuff because they couldn't enjoy it until the curse was lifted. So if you did something like that (but not exactly, because it's already been done) I suppose it could work, but I'd tend to veer away from the buried treasure track otherwise.

• @WarpSpeed said: Bon Voyage! You could try to convince him to come out there to see you, too, y'know. Or both fly to Canada.

He has come out here and will again, but he gets two weeks off a year so that's not a huge amount of time.
    As for both of us going to Canada, it would also be for two weeks per year since he'd need to stop working during that time, but we would both have to spend money for the tickets and we wouldn't have a place to stay, so that's a weird thing to suggest. It would have the disadvantages of both France and the US without the advantages of either.

• Sometimes I wonder why I still make threads like The Pitch...

• @Avistew said: As for both of us going to Canada, it would also be for two weeks per year since he'd need to stop working during that time, but we would both have to spend money for the tickets and we wouldn't have a place to stay, so that's a weird thing to suggest. It would have the disadvantages of both France and the US without the advantages of either.

If I wanted to suggest something weird, I'd pick Zimbabwe. My logic with Canada was that U.S. people can go there pretty easily, and I figured you'd be able to get in because you're still married to a Canadian. There would have to be something else to draw you there, though, like friends you haven't seen in a while. If they don't exist, then yeah, it doesn't make sense.

Oh well.

This discussion has been closed.