User Avatar Image

Make Max more furry and less 3d

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I really can't wait till the release of the new Sam & Max game.

Only thing bothering me though is that the characters seem to be so metallic and shiny. Especially Max has that 3D-look that I don't think fits. I mean, he's a furry animal, not a glossy 3d prototype model.

Okay, I know that his design is inspired from the comics and the old pixel art game, where he is all white and beige. That look does IMO look better in 2d, and I think it would be nice if you could put a couple of other structures on the characters in this new game, so that you get a better feel for them. You don't have to add fur, as in Monster Inc., only something that gives a less plastic look.

Try to find a more coarse and neutral look on the characters, and my happiness would be complete!

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    I'm not into the idea of fur on Sam or Max; I'd prefer it suited the comic book look - I just don't think the guy who asked for fur was being unrealistic in his request (as far as 'standard' system specs go).

:p[/quote]

Well sadly he kind of is. The key to 'Fur' and other stuff like that is generally shaders. Which Intel Integrated chipsets don't support. Despite speed and memory increases, those things are straight out of 1999.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    Well sadly he kind of is. The key to 'Fur' and other stuff like that is generally shaders. Which Intel Integrated chipsets don't support. Despite speed and memory increases, those things are straight out of 1999.[/quote]

Argghhh!! You've made me beat my head against my desk until it bleeds and white stuff has started coming out! People are staring now too!

The point of the last few posts was to point out that; not only is fur in games now a mainstream thing, and has been for the past eighteen months - two years also that fur in games doesn’t require mean Monsters Inc. level of processing (you don’t have to figure out the position of every hair, etc..).

You don’t have even have to go to B&W2 level of processing for hair, there are plenty of well known shortcuts/hacks that don’t require heavy shading (shaders or DirectX), shadows, lighting, antioscopic filtering, particle effects, model decals, reflection, volumetric lights/light density, FSAA, shadow details, soft shadows, texture filtering, Pixel doubling, the game running at 1600x1200 or even complex mathematical calculations - That it is suitably feasible to 'present' fur (even on a P3 800 with a stock Dell graphics card) and have the game running smoothly

This is especially true since Sam&Max is an adventure title using pre-defined movement (and animation) routines, static backgrounds, you don’t have to worry about how the hair will react to a breeze, when he shakes his head, etc... How it will react if the character jumps and then spins or spins and then jumps, etc...

Essentially it doesn’t have to dynamically react like fur, be processed like fur, be an accurate simulation of fur, it doesnt have to BE fur, it just has to LOOK like fur.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

but max doesn't have fur!!!!
    being a 'rabbity thingy' does not mean he is a rabbit with a fur, carrots and all that..

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

well, i was too lazy to read the whole thread, but i read the first page...
    and if you would ask me i would say that the game looks GOOD!
    of course 2d would be better but you can't have everything.

i'm glad that TellTale decided to make a point&click-adventure of it and not a 'keyboard-game' where you don't have to use the mouse
    :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]well, i was too lazy to read the whole thread, but i read the first page...
    and if you would ask me i would say that the game looks GOOD!
    of course 2d would be better but you can't have everything.[/quote]

It would be cool if they could have make incorporated Steve Purcell's art style - Definitely have the feel of the strip then.

Then again, the original HTR graphics still look pretty neat to me;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sam_max.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Then again, the original HTR graphics still look pretty neat to me;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sam_max.jpg[/quote]
    with '2d' i mean 2d like it's in Runaway for example...

btw...if you have a pocketpc or a palm - try to play Sam&Max with ScummVM on it...it looks AWSOME!
    :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

The 3Dness is fine, but Telltale really needs to learn how to use shaders and lighting to better effect. They have a flat goroud shaded look that comes off as very dated. A more complex shading and lighting model is desperately needed to give skin a skin look or plastic a plastic look. Instead everything looks like paper or something. Just dull and diffuse.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    btw...if you have a pocketpc or a palm - try to play Sam&Max with ScummVM on it...it looks AWSOME!
    :D[/quote]

I played S&M on my PSP. It was fun.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

As I said before in this forum (http://www.telltalegames.com/forum/viewthread?thread=536) I'm really not a big fan of the 3d shading in the game. I'll probably still buy it, but drawn characters with little shading, can't just be translated to 3d without significant changes.
    Frankly they look like overblown balloon animals.

I really hope Telltale Games will at least make nonshading or celshading an option in the game.
    In it's basic implementation it isn't even that difficult to do.
    Even just turning shading off completely, would be better than nothing.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I played S&M on my PSP. It was fun.[/quote]

Portable Scumm games? - Now that sounds cool! :)

Add Comment