User Avatar Image

Which character in this game you hate the most?

posted by Vongalaxy on - last edited - Viewed by 784 users

At first, I hate Larry because hes a dick when he hit me on the face. But later in the farm, he seem to be better and I begin to not hate him. And in chapter 3, Carly death is so FKING SHOCKING and I FKING HATE LILY and LEFt her. So I hate Lily the MOST.

130 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Iyrsiiea said: Wow. Ben was only mentioned a couple times and only three people put him as their 'most hated' character. Which makes me all kinds of happy, seeing as I like Ben.

OT: At certain times I might have hated one character or another, even Ben when he left Clem, but at the end of season I couldn't find it in me to truly hate any of them. They all had their flaws and virtues.

Yeah, pretty much the whole cast was well written enough where I found it hard to actually hate any one character. Or in Larry's case it was harder to hate him simply because so many of his lines are fucking hilarious. :D

In Ben's case I could never really stay angry at him because I basically viewed him as another kid, same as Duck and Clem. Yeah he's a teenager, but in most ways you're still just a kid at that age. Couple that with the fact he's a band geek and I wouldn't be surprised if he lived at least a semi-sheltered life before the shit hit the fan.

It's most obvious when Chuck is around. He says there are three adults looking out for three kids. If you pick silence as a response Chuck goes on to tell Ben how hard it must be for him being just a boy an all (which Ben meekly denies). Ben also complains about not getting to work on a "super cool train" and there's that scene of him eating the candy Chuck gave him.

BenCandy_zpsf8837754.png

He may be tall but in the grand scheme of things he's just a boy. He rarely even swears (and when he does it's usually a big deal). And he's alone in a group of people who probably don't care about him (except Clem and possibly Lee if the player likes him).

I always looked at him as another child who needed protection like Clementine. When he and Clementine got cornered in Episode 4 I saw them both as panicking kids in desperate need of help. In fact Ben's deal with the bandits, the one that causes so much trouble, really isn't that different from Clementine's own dealings with a devil (which also causes a lot of trouble).

Both Clementine and Ben go behind the group's back to talk to someone outside the group (Stranger/Bandits) because they say they have their loved ones (Clem's Parents/Ben's Classmate) and because they naively believe them (Clem runs off with the Stranger after Lee says they can't look for her parents/Ben starts slipping the Bandits meds) they end up putting the whole group in danger with their actions (Having to navigate a swarmed Savannah/Bandits attack).

Although Ben is still a pretty a colossal fuck up. I mean he unbars an obviously blocked door, as opposed to Clementine who helps you bar a door that's about to break. Still, Clem has Lee to look out for her, Ben's really got nobody. Some kind of fatherly figure probably would have done Ben a lot of good.

When I was teaching Clementine how to shoot I was wishing I'd could actually bring Ben in next and give him some basic survival pointers. I actually suspected Kenny may have been willing to fill that role after Ben finally told him off, you know, if it weren't for that stupid balcony.

@Iyrsiiea said: Wow, great analysis Jaded X Gamer. Your post totally put into words the reasons I began suspecting Lilly as really only out for her father.

I'm glad you liked it. Here's a bonus one. Vernon taking the boat was probably an impulse decision, not some cold calculated master plan like some have suggested.

When everyone's escaping the Crawford bell tower, he asks about the group coming by train only to immediately drop the subject. I'm guessing he saw the massive herd of walkers that were coming on the rails and realized that his group wouldn't be safe even in the sewers anymore because the whole city would be completely overrun. (Which we see happen in Episode 5.)

He probably knew Kenny or most of you're group wouldn't agree to let them on the boat and you don't have to be a fisherman to know that one speedboat probably can't carry ten people so he probably figured his people's best chance was just to take it for themselves.

Imagine if he was actually honest with you and told Lee's group that he saw the approaching herd and he wanted his people to come along on the boat? How would you decide something like that when only five people could go? How would you talk Kenny into it for that matter? It was still a shitty thing to do, but I really think Vernon acted more out of desperation than outright malice or simple greed.

I think this is why Vernon suddenly suggests giving up Clementine to him too. Probably between escaping from Crawford and returning to the manor he had made up his my mind about taking the boat but likely still felt at least a tinge of guilt about abandoning an adorable nine year old girl to die. If Lee agreed Vernon probably planned to take Clementine with them after they take the boat.

• [quote=jaded x gamer;756484]in ben's case i could never really stay angry at him because i basically viewed him as another kid, same as duck and clem. Yeah he's a teenager, but in most ways you're still just a kid at that age. Couple that with the fact he's a band geek and i wouldn't be surprised if he lived at least a semi-sheltered life before the shit hit the fan.

It's most obvious when chuck is around. He says there are three adults looking out for three kids. If you pick silence as a response chuck goes on to tell ben how hard it must be for him being just a boy an all (which ben meekly denies). Ben also complains about not getting to work on a "super cool train" and there's that scene of him eating the candy chuck gave him.

bencandy_zpsf8837754.png

he may be tall but in the grand scheme of things he's just a boy. He rarely even swears (and when he does it's usually a big deal). And he's alone in a group of people who probably don't care about him (except clem and possibly lee if the player likes him).

I always looked at him as another child who needed protection like clementine. When he and clementine got cornered in episode 4 i saw them both as panicking kids in desperate need of help. In fact ben's deal with the bandits, the one that causes so much trouble, really isn't that different from clementine's own dealings with a devil (which also causes a lot of trouble).

Both clementine and ben go behind the group's back to talk to someone outside the group (stranger/bandits) because they say they have their loved ones (clem's parents/ben's classmate) and because they naively believe them (clem runs off with the stranger after lee says they can't look for her parents/ben starts slipping the bandits meds) they end up putting the whole group in danger with their actions (having to navigate a swarmed savannah/bandits attack).

Although ben is still a pretty a colossal fuck up. I mean he unbars an obviously blocked door, as opposed to clementine who helps you bar a door that's about to break. Still, clem has lee to look out for her, ben's really got nobody. Some kind of fatherly figure probably would have done ben a lot of good.

When i was teaching clementine how to shoot i was wishing i'd could actually bring ben in next and give him some basic survival pointers. I actually suspected kenny may have been willing to fill that role after ben finally told him off, you know, if it weren't for that stupid balcony.

[/quote]

Respect!The man has spoken!

• @Scaeva said: Larry.

He's just an asshole with no redeeming qualities.

Lilly I view as being a tragic character. She isn't a bad person, she just became completely unhinged by Larry's death. I was angry when she killed Carley, and she got left on the side of the road, but I never hated the character.

Yeah, everything I don't like about Lilly traces back to Larry. He's the one who raised her. She's responsible for her actions, but if he'd been more laid back/less apoplectic than he was, he probably wouldn't have triggered his heart condition at the worst possible time. Then maybe she wouldn't have gone off the deep end like she did.

Yeah, I blame Larry for Lilly. She cracked, she went paranoid, she had a moment of temporary insanity. I don't think it would've happened if she had a calm and rational father to keep her grounded.

• The St. John family were my most hated. I couldn't single out one of them, since they are all murdering cannibals. Glad I killed them all!

• @Jaded X Gamer: I 100% agree with what you said about Ben, but Vernon's act was stealing the group's only hope to save his group of old and sick people, while our group was healthy and had 2 kids. It may not have been calculated, but it was extremely selfish.

• Larry. He was just unpleasant.

• This post needs a poll.

Lilly- i didn't like her attitude/how she handle things + she's a killer for god's sake. But ofc, she was trying to do what she could.

Larry- idk, what's his problem anyway? Just cus im a convict he treats me like im some kind of crazy dick. But I find him funny sometimes, when he swears- (like when he says: Stupid sh*ts/when we were in the meat locker he goes: Stupid sons of b*tches.)

Looks like most people hate the father/daughter duo.

• @Scaeva said: Ben is also indirectly responsible for the death of Chuck, who gets killed rescuing Clem after Ben abandoned her.

A good leader doesn't shoot someone based on paranoid delusions, particularly when that someone also happens to be one of the group's most loyal and combat-effective members.

Lilly murdered a completely innocent person in cold blood, and further endangered the group both by robbing it one of its best fighters (Carley) and by guaranteeing Lilly's own exile from it. A good leader would know there would be no coming back from murdering Carley, and that it would fracture the group. A good leader would also know that the best time to deal with the traitor situation, was after everyone had some rest and a chance to clear their heads. It was a decision that had to be made with logic, not emotion.

I'm not someone who hates Lilly. I think she is a sad, tragic character...I'd love to see her return in the sequel and somehow redeem herself. But as a leader, she is completely inept, particularly after Larry's death. By act three Lilly was uninhinged, and not capable of leading anything.

Yeah it sucks.. She was such a great leader before the Larry incident.. And I definitely agree with you. Her heart was in the right place, but she just didn't make the right call that time. And I still think she's a better leader than Kenny.

• I think Lee/Carley or both of them would make good leaders. Carley is right about Lee when she says that people look up to him. Another is that Lee cares about everyone and uses logic, not emotion. Carley is a smart person who could help Lee out. (Like her sudden realization that Lee should tell the group about his past, it was pretty much for the best)

Kenny is fine but if he was in his right mind like in the drug store I'd think he would do fine.

• ... (Deleted message) SOmethings is wrong with my browser

Add Comment