User Avatar Image

Purchased TWD for PC received 101.exe error

posted by jr1234 on - last edited - Viewed by 963 users

I just purchased the game and after playing for about an hour and a half, I booted the game back up, got this error and then it crashed. When trying to start the game again, all of my save data was gone and it was asking me to start over. I have a NVIDIA video card, so the integrated video card should not be a problem. Is there a fix for this?

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I merged your new thread into your existing once, because it's the same issue, and it's better to keep all information in one place.

The answers are pretty much the same as the last time.

If you made a backup of your savegames as I recommended you earlier you can copy that back.

Otherwise you can try the "restore previous version" feature.

You didn't answer this earlier, but i think we should try everything to find out why the game crashed.

@DjNDB said: It's difficult to find out why it crashed. You can take a look into the "application" part of windows "event viewer" to see if you can find the crash event. Then you can copy the details by right clicking on the entry and paste them here. There's a good chance that it won't contain much useful information though.

• Sorry, I am still not exactly sure how to get to that place where I can find out why it crashed. Can you explain that in more detail? Also, unfortunately I did not make a copy of the save file since last time. The previous versions that were recovered are from a couple weeks ago which is before I started playing again. However, in the documents folder, it still shows up to save_28.save from this morning with every other save document. Is there any way I can use this information?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Here are instructions on how to start the Event viewer.

If you want to try some tinkering you can try recovering the latest savegame using the Siezemore fix. Be aware, that it might have side effects, since it doesn't restore the prefs.prop contents that were lost.

• I opened the event viewer but how do I find where this specific error is in there?

• Also, I have been trying the Sizemore fix, but each time I try to restart the game, the save files reappear in the folder. Is there a way for that not to happen so that I can have the game simply create a new folder?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

In the Event viewer, open the "Windows Logs/Application" section.
    On the right side under "Actions" select "Filter Current Log..."
    In the Drop-down box "Sources" select "Application Error" and confirm by pressing "OK".

No click through the individual entries and look for the name of the games .exe.
    If you find anything related to the game, please right click some of the entries, select "copy the details as text", and paste them in a new reply.

I guess you are using the Steam version? It restores the savegames from steam cloud. Sadly it seems to have synced your broken ones already, and doesn't have a version history.
    Before manually modifying the savegames, you need to disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

• Okay, the following is the details from when the crash first occurred Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 1/5/2013 11:16:32 AM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Rockower-PC
    Description:
    Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2012.4.23.11289, time stamp: 0x4f95e3ff
    Faulting module name: fmodex.dll, version: 0.4.38.4, time stamp: 0x4ee56056
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000bdbfc
    Faulting process id: 0x1770
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdeb6865e04c00
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\fmodex.dll
    Report Id: a62e2825-575b-11e2-91cc-685d43877de5
    Event Xml:
    100021000x8000000000000012171ApplicationRockower-PCWalkingDead101.exe2012.4.23.112894f95e3fffmodex.dll0.4.38.44ee56056c0000005000bdbfc177001cdeb6865e04c00C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\fmodex.dlla62e2825-575b-11e2-91cc-685d43877de5

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

That's great. fmodex.dll is the sound library that the game uses, so the crashes might be sound related.

It just so happens, that you use a rather old sound driver.
    So installing the latest Realtek HDA Driver might prevent future crashes.

• Okay, I will do that. Thank you.
    However, at this point, I am still having a great amount of trouble trying to use the fix that you sent earlier, and I am truly frustrated at this point. I shut off the cloud sync with the game, deleted the folder, and tried to begin the game over with episode 2 to be able to fix the file. However, when I start the game from episode 2, all I get is a black screen. Episode 1 works fine, but not 2. I really do not know what to do at this point, but I am not going to be starting the game completely over again and would like this to be resolved, if at all possible.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

That's interesting. That should not happen with an empty savegame folder.

Please check if there are any prefs.prop files in the install folder
    (e.g. \Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead)
    or its subfolders.
    If so, make a backup copy of the prefs.prop and delete it from the install folder.

You can then try if you can use that prefs.prop with your savegames, by copying them into the savegame folder together.

Add Comment