User Avatar Image

Better Business Bureau complaint filed regarding game save corruption bugs

posted by phozee on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Some background: a couple months ago I experienced the all-too-common game save corruption bug on my PC version of TWD game about 20 hours into it. My save files are still there, but the game does not recognize them, and no amount of fiddling with timestamps / prefs.prop files / restore points has restored them. I have reached out to TTG support in hopes of a bug fix, including this post (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41801) requesting some sort of game save generation tool for those of us that have been affected by this bug, assuming it couldn't actually be fixed. I received a copy-pasted response on the thread (verified it was copy pasted by searching the forums with the text from his response) that gave no insight into the bug and offered no solution or timeframe for a fix.

Since TTG seems to take no interest in responding seriously to these bugs or fixing them in any way, I too have filed a complaint with the BBB. I suggest anyone who has had these issues, or others that have gone unanswered, file a complaint as well. It took a few minutes, just give some personal information and a couple paragraphs detailing what's up.

https://goldengate.app.bbb.org/complaint/new/277990

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @phozee said: Since TTG seems to take no interest in responding seriously to these bugs or fixing them in any way, I too have filed a complaint with the BBB. I suggest anyone who has had these issues, or others that have gone unanswered, file a complaint as well. It took a few minutes, just give some personal information and a couple paragraphs detailing what's up.

https://goldengate.app.bbb.org/complaint/new/277990

Kudos to you. I have done the same. I suggest everybody should take a few minutes to file a complaint if they are unsatisfied with TTG's customer support. (I have received one message in about 2 months of trying to contact their support. I don't think my unhappiness is unreasonable.)

• even tho I have never had any bugs nor glitches I can understand anyone who does. their support is pretty much nonexistend (the few I saw don't know what they are talking about) and I never saw anything get patched either. Support is bad indeed.

• I still haven't been able to launch the game. And with Steam's no-refund policy, I'm stuck. Support here is horrible.

• @HSuke said: I still haven't been able to launch the game. And with Steam's no-refund policy, I'm stuck. Support here is horrible.

I was able to get a Steam refund after two months of haggling!

I also filed BBB reports with Valve (now closed) and TTG. Tell Valve that TTG has literally not returned a single email or a single phone call.

So I'm happy. I get my $25 back and I will never buy a TTG game ever again! And I will talk shit about them to anybody who will listen!

• @FingerLickinGood said: I was able to get a Steam refund after two months of haggling!

So it IS possible to get a refund for The Walking Dead via Steam?
    That makes buying the game from Steam a lot more attractive.
    This is some information which a lot of users will find very interesting. Steam can expect a LOT of refund requests.
    I'm glad I didn't go for the refund, because when the game finally worked, after 6 months, I enjoyed it very much.

• Done, I had the save game problem last year so I stopped playing. My girlfriend and I decided to give it another go yesterday figuring surely they had fixed this issue by now. Today we go to start up episode 2....and it loads a save game I deleted nearly 3 months ago. I guess it must've loaded it from the cloud. I love this game, but Telltale is now the first company I have ever filed a BBB complaint against.

• as much as i like their games, the bugs and lack of support or patches is shocking , maybe this will change things

• Well done!

Does anyone know if this (BBB) applies to Canada as well ?
    I know Canada has our own version but I'm just wondering.

• I bought this game on the back of the great reviews - I wouldn't usually buy a "telltale game".

The game itself is really good - it's annoying you cannot skip cutscenes, but I can see why they would take this away in a game that autosaves choices.

However, it took me trawling on the internet to get it to run (not unusual on PC). I have a really standard setup though - Windows 8, i2500k etc. Apparently I had to download a new file and put it in the TWD directory - which I did and it worked.

Then, I found that at the end of the (really good) episode 1, my choices on the episode did not carry over to 2. Again, more trawling and I had to copy a file from one directory to another. Simple enough and it worked.

I played through episode 2 for an hour. Then went to re-load after auto-saving and no progress had been saved. V. Frustrating - more trawling and now I realise I need to disable Steam cloud syncing. I have done this and it seems to be saving again - I have played through the hour again and am back to where I got to an hour and a half ago.

The thing that baffles me is that usually you just google a problem and see it's been patched. However, here it just seems that no-one cares!

It's a great game, but once I'm through I don't think I'll ever be buying a "telltale game" again - I haven't come across a buggy piece of shit like this since the nineties!

Add Comment