User Avatar Image

So who felt sorry for Ben?

posted by DatDude on - last edited - Viewed by 231 users

I kept him alive after episode 4, and he had a really nice speech when fighting with Kenny.

He was basically saying that he never got to say goodbye to his parents (with his voice breaking and almost in a tear like state), and that at least kenny got to say goodbye to his.

He was a fuck up. I think he knew that pretty much as well. But I still forgave him, regardless of all the shit that came with him.:(

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Scaeva said: Ben most certainly is responsible for the deaths of Katjaa and Duck.

(...)

Would the drunk driver be responsible for the deaths of those people, even though it was unintentional and his vehicle did not strike them? Of course he would, and the courts would hold him liable for it.

Like the drunk driver in that example, Ben caused the deaths of Katjaa and Duck. His actions were directly responsible for their deaths.

You're missing something here. The driver in your analogy is guilty of getting drunk in the first place. Ben (a naive 17-yr-old kid who's scared out of his mind) has no choice about how good his judgment is.

By your reasoning Clem is to blame for the deaths of Lee, Kenny and Ben, depending on your play-through.

But you can't hold the judgment of a nine-year-old girl to the same standards as an adult, and you can't hold the judgment of a high-schooler to those standards either. Chuck pointed out that Ben was a kid, while the rest of the cast kept ignoring him. It wasn't until Ben lost his temper in ep. 5 that Kenny realized the mistake he'd made in expecting him to be brighter and more grown up.

Because odds are if Duck had reached the age of 17 he'd have been a lot like Ben.

• @RobtMyers said: You're missing something here. The driver in your analogy is guilty of getting drunk in the first place. Ben (a naive 17-yr-old kid who's scared out of his mind) has no choice about how good his judgment is.

By your reasoning Clem is to blame for the deaths of Lee, Kenny and Ben, depending on your play-through.

But you can't hold the judgment of a nine-year-old girl to the same standards as an adult, and you can't hold the judgment of a high-schooler to those standards either. Chuck pointed out that Ben was a kid, while the rest of the cast kept ignoring him. It wasn't until Ben lost his temper in ep. 5 that Kenny realized the mistake he'd made in expecting him to be brighter and more grown up.

Because odds are if Duck had reached the age of 17 he'd have been a lot like Ben.

No. Duck would drop out high school :)

• Bandits were gonna raid the camp anyways,and it could've ended MUCH worse..It was just a matter of time..And anyone,who wants ''all the people to hate/like Ben'', it's not possible,there were haters,are haters and will always be haters..Ben's gone so I hope all of his ''haters'' got what they wanted.

• @BenIsKindaCool said: Bandits were gonna raid the camp anyways,and it could've ended MUCH worse..It was just a matter of time..And anyone,who wants ''all the people to hate/like Ben'', it's not possible,there were haters,are haters and will always be haters..Ben's gone so I hope all of his ''haters'' got what they wanted.

I didn't like Ben and I didn't want him to die. I don't want anyone in my group to die, especially a kid. He just disappointed me, he always did things wrong and got people killed. Come episode four I didn't drop him and he said to me "before this is done, I promise I will do at least one thing right" (or something). Best thing he did in episode five was tell Kenny off. I would have had way, way more respect for the character if he told us to leave him in the alley when he fell, getting over his fear of being eaten alive... Meh.

• Lee had everything under control with the bandits until Lily started a shootout.

• @CarScar said: I didn't like Ben and I didn't want him to die. I don't want anyone in my group to die, especially a kid. He just disappointed me, he always did things wrong and got people killed. Come episode four I didn't drop him and he said to me "before this is done, I promise I will do at least one thing right" (or something). Best thing he did in episode five was tell Kenny off. I would have had way, way more respect for the character if he told us to leave him in the alley when he fell, getting over his fear of being eaten alive... Meh.

That's probably how it would really turn out in the end. As nice as it would have been to see Ben redeem himself, we don't get situations like those just because we strive for them. Fear is a powerful thing, and difficult to overcome, especially for a young kid like Ben.

• @Mornai said: That's probably how it would really turn out in the end. As nice as it would have been to see Ben redeem himself, we don't get situations like those just because we strive for them. Fear is a powerful thing, and difficult to overcome, especially for a young kid like Ben.

It was realistic but still. Ben is probably the least respectable character in the game, I expected some kind of turn around for the character where he prove that he could overcome his fear because he didn't want to be the reason why anyone else had to die. Sadly, nope. I was expecting too much from Ben, I guess. I thought he had some deep potential to be the kind of guy I wanted him to be.

• I really, really tried to like Ben, but despite all my efforts, it was impossible. Yet still, I tried to be as neutral with him as possible.

The situation with bandits and Carley forced me to spend a lot of time wanting this kid dead, and I was even somewhat disappointed when I couldn't kill him at the train. As the time passed though, I managed to forget about his stupidity.

However, when Ben asked me to let him go, I did so. Not because I wanted him dead, not anymore, but because it was more or less a good way for him to go, at least trying or pretending to save all the group by sacrificing himself. In other words, he went out in style, more or less.

In that particular scene, I wasn't sad and I wasn't sorry for him - every action may and will have consequences, and you have to face them, no matter how old or stupid or scared you are.

Later on, I've seen a playthrough with "saved" Ben, and I have to admit that him dying with Kenny scene was much more emotional and touching, but again, not because of Ben, but mostly 'cause of Kenny sacrificing himself ( in a rather unreasonable manner ).

Yes, Ben was just a kid, but remember what Chuck said to Lee. There are no more "too young" or "too old", no "girls or boys around".

You're either capable and alive or not capable and dead.

• I would say Ben redeemed himself by getting Kenny to wake the fuck up and finally take the advice Katjaa had been hammering him with every night in the RV: Think of others.

I would say that, except that Kenny comes to that realization on his own even if Ben isn't around. So Ben's big moment was sadly superfluous.

Add Comment